LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Man can I please buy a break for a grand????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope your daughter is OK!

Your post got me thinking about when I put my car back together last year, and I, too, had a hose clamp slip off, and blow some coolant all over the place, while on my first test drive. I found out at the first corner, when the power steering acted fnny, due to coolant on the pump's pulley....

I've always used the worm drive hose clamps, but I recently installed a set of silicone rubber radiator/heater hoses on my Corvette, and I tried the Gates "shrink clamps". You slip them in place, then use a heat gun to shrink them in place, much like shrink tubing in electronics applications. They're kind of cool, but the down side is that they're a "one time" deal.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

Your post got me thinking about when I put my car back together last year, and I, too, had a hose clamp slip off, and blow some coolant all over the place, while on my first test drive. I found out at the first corner, when the power steering acted fnny, due to coolant on the pump's pulley....

I've always used the worm drive hose clamps, but I recently installed a set of silicone rubber radiator/heater hoses on my Corvette, and I tried the Gates "shrink clamps". You slip them in place, then use a heat gun to shrink them in place, much like shrink tubing in electronics applications. They're kind of cool, but the down side is that they're a "one time" deal.
That sounds like not only a PITA but a waste of money for one time only use. worm gears work perfect and maybe they were over tighten witch happens alot, once there over tight then the clamp can fail at anytime. if my car was a show car only then maybe those clamps would work out and be cool but if you work on your car and ect then a 1 time use clamp is a waste and most likly cost more
Old 04-25-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I despise those clamps that have that pinch looking area to them, I never did figure out if they can come off someway, I always cut them off. I see them on things randomly, like the power steering hose on my truck. Not sure what those ones are called.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

Thanks for the thoughts, Yea those sound good once I know I wont have to take it apart again. Hopefully I wount but I am also using those silicone hoses so IDK I have to go down to the parts store and see what they have. Spent all day cleaning everything in the house today so no one else gets sick lol and we have to spend all day Tuesday at the MRI joint getting detailed scans done so This may be sitting for another week but I am going to double up the clamps next time until the hose seals to the ports.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clamp was probably broken or out of place on install if it blew off the first time you got on it. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hopefully your kid is better soon. Cars can be replaced, people can't.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
That sounds like not only a PITA but a waste of money for one time only use. worm gears work perfect and maybe they were over tighten witch happens alot, once there over tight then the clamp can fail at anytime. if my car was a show car only then maybe those clamps would work out and be cool but if you work on your car and ect then a 1 time use clamp is a waste and most likly cost more
It all depends on the car and/or your situation. I've had my Camaro a little over 15 years, and every 2-3 years, like clockwork, it's apart for one or more of the notorious LT1 oil leaks. So, no, I doubt I'd be using the Gates clamps on it.

My Corvette, however, is a different story. The car is now 10 years old, and this is the first time a hose has ever been touched....and if things go as planned, it'll be at least another 10 before those hoses get touched again. In that application, they make sense....PLUS, they won't cut into the silicone hose, and furthermore, eliminate a lot of the potential "ouch" points that the OE spring metal clamps provide.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jay now it makes sence, the silicon hoses are more prone to clamps failing dues to how easy the pipe and clamp slide on them, very easy to strip or break a worm gear clamp on those hoses and even easier for the clamp to slide off.

Quick Reply: Man can I please buy a break for a grand????