LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Man can I please buy a break for a grand????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Man can I please buy a break for a grand????

So.... got the thing back together in the car and ran it up to full temp several times. Topped off fluids, fix a leaking TB gasket and got the idle dead nutz on with good TPS voltage and IAC. Took it out for the first test drive and drove it normal for a while and then picked up the pace a bit to make sure it was running right. Felt great, better then before when the intake gaskets where leaking and I didn't know it. came around a corner and laid into it in second gear, it pulled real hard and then all of a sudden rear tires light up like Christmas. I thought the trans was giving me **** again and slipped or something. I looked out the back mirror and at the gages real quick and didn't see anything unusual. Figured I would turn around and head home and try and figure out what the hell that was, I wanted to check the trans fluid level again and make sure it was ok but as I turned around I noticed the temp had spiked to 210 from the usual 175/180 range. I started to make my way home and I was on a road with no shoulder and no place to stop when I noticed that the temp was now up to 225. got to a place to pull off and shut it down as quick as I could, total time was about 4 min. Shut it down and got out and then noticed a small amount of steam. Looked under the hood and one of the hose clamps failed on the smaller hose that goes to the bottom driver side of the radiator but at the water pump. She had no coolant and odd enough it never steamed a tad when I looked in the rear view. Coolant had dumped all over the rear wheels and caused them to spin and loose traction. I have no idea how quick the coolant came out but the hose was dragging on the ground when I looked so my guess is very fast. I have never had so many problems with a car, a boat, a house as I have had with this ******* car. I swear it is cursed. I inspected all of my work form going through and fixing this engine and putting it back in about 10 times over the past week trying to make sure everything was right and now this.

What do you guys think? Am I going to have problems with this engine again? Even though the temp gauge showed a top temp of 230 there is no way that thing had water in the heads. I walked home and got the wife and drove down with tons of water and fitted a new clamp on the hose and reinstalled it then refilled the radiator about 45min later and finally got the thing bled. It ran at 175 again for the remaining 2 miles home with no surges or spikes. I got it home and topped it off and it was still running nice and cool. No signs of water in the oil or leaks out the side of the heads. Seems to be holding pressure just fine. I will have to wait until Sunday to do a full fill and take it for a run again.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be ok. Just fill and bleed tomorrow and see what it does. Looks like you caught it fairly quick, the temp gauge reads from the head.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

230 isnt overheated....
Old 04-23-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I know but the head and the radiator where bone dry so I am not putting to much stock in the actual temp it reached since the sensor can't actually read a temp if it's not contacting water. Heater was cold when I checked it during the last min of driving.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:03 AM
TECH Regular

I would not worry about it.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 273 Likes on 208 Posts

It's fine..I've done the same before..it helps burn the leakin oil off..
Old 04-24-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastcars95
I would not worry about it.
I agree. It sounds like you didn't drive it all that far. You should be OK...
Old 04-24-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say if the engine was not smoking heavy and it did not reach the red zone you should be ok. It sounds to me like the car has you scared from all the issue you have had and your not thinking clear. We all get excited and in a little bite of a hurry when were close to getting done or starting something new. I would go over everything once more just to make 100% sure all is good. Replace the old clamps with new worm gears. let the car have a few heat cycles in the drive way and recheck bolts after cool down. check the oil,water,tranny before start up during run time and after cool down everytime untill everything is perfect. this alone could prevent alot of issues. But as i have said to you before you are welcome to come over to my shop/house whenever you would like and i could help you for free. Im sure all is good. as for IF you WILL/NOT have issues well i dont have my Crystal ball so i could not say. but good luck to you
Old 04-24-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts

I love me some lt1's, but its always the something with the damn things. Walk away from it for a couple days, then get back after it. Atleast thats what I did to keep me from driving the ****** off a cliff lol.

I agree with everyone else that you shut it off in time... shouldnt have any engine problems.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
I would say if the engine was not smoking heavy and it did not reach the red zone you should be ok. It sounds to me like the car has you scared from all the issue you have had and your not thinking clear. We all get excited and in a little bite of a hurry when were close to getting done or starting something new. I would go over everything once more just to make 100% sure all is good. Replace the old clamps with new worm gears. let the car have a few heat cycles in the drive way and recheck bolts after cool down. check the oil,water,tranny before start up during run time and after cool down everytime untill everything is perfect. this alone could prevent alot of issues. But as i have said to you before you are welcome to come over to my shop/house whenever you would like and i could help you for free. Im sure all is good. as for IF you WILL/NOT have issues well i dont have my Crystal ball so i could not say. but good luck to you
Help for free!?! I live here in Florida I could sure use some help putting this Motor and tranny back in haha and would be willing to pay haha

But yeah There shouldn't be an issue at 230 I think half of these temp gauges are **** anyways in these things I caught my gauge at the red zone a few times and never did anything to my heads my head gaskets looked as good as new when I tore the motor apart. Button everything up fill her up with fluids and LET IT RIP!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ill trade ya.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I tell ya what I did spend an entire week of starting and getting all the fluids right, putting it throught some full heat cycles before it ever left the subdivision and re torqed all the bolts. Did about 7 heat cycles and put it back up on stands and went over every clamp so I can not for the life of me figure out why this clamp failed. It was brand new. I hope I don't have a head gasket leaking into the cooling system and it over pressurized it and blew it off. I don't know. Frustrating as hell. I wouldn't even bother to post up something like this if it was me just being lazy and not going over all of my work but I did go over everything top to bottom about 7 times. I just need a little luck on my side. I would take you up on the help but I would have to drive it there and I don't have a trailer lol. I even took 3 days off from it after I went over everything and it has not ended any better. Car still runs fine and cool so we shall see once I go back over everything again and I am changing out hose clamps again.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

If you're worried about "over-pressurizing" the cooling system, double check to see that your t'stat is functioning correctly.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
If you're worried about "over-pressurizing" the cooling system, double check to see that your t'stat is functioning correctly.
How will a thermo cause overpresurization of the system?
Old 04-24-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

you mean cap leadfoot. cap relives the pressure but only so much over a period of time since the vent is failey small but I found the clamp on the side of the road today and it flat out failed (I'll post pics sometime this week) so if I replace it that much will be fine and not happen again. Still not sure about the engine as I had no intrest in working on it today. I'll F with it monday. My main concern is that if the head gasket adds pressure from the cyliders to the cooling system but I don't think thats the case as the plugs are clean and I found the clamp.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm talking if the t'stat is stuck, doesn't open, and causes a pressure build up...
Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Yea but I blew a hose off the water pump so I'm not worried about that as I have also had it warmed up and the Tstat is working.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

when you say fail.... was it a worm gear that had a broken slot or a factory clamp that broke? would like to see the failed componet.

Also a thermo will make and engine to hot or cold but not cause added pressure.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you put worm clamps on it? If so, dig all of the old constant torque factory clamps out of your junk pile and put them all back on. Worm clamps suck.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

when you say fail.... was it a worm gear that had a broken slot or a factory clamp that broke? would like to see the failed componet.

Also a thermo will make and engine to hot or cold but not cause added pressure.
Understand that, the thermo is fine it opens and closes no problem.
It was a factory clamp that failed and that’s all I use I don't usually use worm style clamps but it will be getting 2 worms for the time being since I don't have any other clamps. I looked the clamp again and cleaned all the mud off of it and it's not from my car. I went out and looked again but there are tidal water ways on either side of a narrow road where this happened. The one I found had actually been there for a while and is rusted on the bottom and mine was not rusted at all. It was a wire compression clamp with one of the wires broken I found and I remember the one missing on this car is a steal band compression clamp. I may never find it but it was not on the hose even though I took a pic of the car 4 days ago before this happened and it was on there and the hose and clamp were all the way on the barb of the water pump. Duno Just gona refill it when I get a chance. Was going to do it today but my Daughter came down with strep and gave me a huge scare today because she was spitting up blood this morning. She has bad scoliosis we found out a couple of weeks ago and I feared the worst (punctured lung/collapsed lung) but figured it was something related to the sore throat she has had all weekend. May not get to the car until she is better. We shall see. Be a ruff month to say the least.

Quick Reply: Man can I please buy a break for a grand????