Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Street 5.3 turbo, the BEST setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street 5.3 turbo, the BEST setup

Hey gang, been ready for a bit but rarely post (maybe never have )

Want an opinion on my setup.

Goal: 550-600 whp, quick spool, fun street setup. This is a driver. Going in a bagged 72 C10.

What I have current:
​​​​gen 4 rods
BTR forged pistons
317 heads
Rings gapped
Balanced rotating assembly
ARP bottom end hardware
ARP head studs
PAC 1211x springs
TSP MaddMaxx cam
Log manifold setup
Holley split plane
DBW TB
4l80e
Transgo shift kit
Undecided on converter (summit pro LS or total transmission Chicago, 2800-3000 stall)
VS racing 76/65 .96ar cast
100lb/hr injectors
Dual intake pumps 500LPH
Plan to run 93 but fueling will be setup for E85
MAC valve boost controller
Air to air intercooler
Holley Terminator X Max
Snow performance water/meth injection (don't intend to use until later or if IAT's warrant or if I want to turn up boost)

Don't care if I run out of steam above 6k will rarely be there. Again street fun, maybe occasionally towing.

Decent setup or charger too small? Any recommendations on boost to run 8,10,12,15 psi??

Just want to bounce ideas.

Old 08-29-2024, 09:53 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Sure do a mid frame BW 76mm you can always go bigger.

I would set it up for flex fuel 93/E85 at the start. 8-10 psi is fun, 15 psi will get your blood pumping. Injectors sound small and won't give you that much room to grow on E85.

I don't know that cam. If you haven't bought it yet, get one from BTR. Mine is from Capizzi.
Old 08-29-2024, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input! Going to start at 8psi and 93 see how it feels then move up. My understanding is the only benefit it E85 is detonation risk (higher octane) and cooling so I wouldn't think E85 is totally necessary unless I am having an issue?

Honestly traction will be an issue, so at some there is a point where it doesn't make sense until the traction is addressed.

The cam I bought before I was going to run a charger. It's not a turbo cam, marketed as a max effort low lift. The specs look close to a turbo cam but I haven't dug into the specifics around cams and what lobe separation angle, duration, and lift are best for certain setups. I can always switch cams if I think there is a huge benefit.

I ran a calculator on fuel injector clinic and the 100lb/hr seem like there is a lot of room even on E85. Like 800+ to the tire at 80% duty cycle with 58psi base fuel. I understand that is all theoretical not real world.

Old 08-30-2024, 05:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 904 Likes on 456 Posts

I would do a set of rods if you are going to do pistons. Just a little more insurance as the rods will be the weak link if you keep the stockers.

If its not a max effort setup, honestly any cam will work. It can effect spool time tho.

Everything else looks fine
Old 08-30-2024, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 371 Likes on 272 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I ran a calculator on fuel injector clinic and the 100lb/hr seem like there is a lot of room even on E85".
Look again.
Old 08-30-2024, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Old Buzzard
I ran a calculator on fuel injector clinic and the 100lb/hr seem like there is a lot of room even on E85".
Look again.
The screenshot shows 850 who with 103 lb injectors at 80% duty cycle. Am I missing something?
Old 08-30-2024, 07:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jayyyw
I would do a set of rods if you are going to do pistons. Just a little more insurance as the rods will be the weak link if you keep the stockers.

If its not a max effort setup, honestly any cam will work. It can effect spool time tho.

Everything else looks fine
Definitely not a max effort setup, the gen 4 should hold plenty from my understanding. Also the engine is already built (bought it built by a reputable machine shop).

Not looking at crazy power.
Old 08-30-2024, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The cam should work fine. However with your power and rpm goals, if you want better spool/low speed response I think you could go Chopacabra, Truck Norris or Summit Torquinator. I think you are on the right track with a 3k stall with current cam or any one I suggested. I would also consider ditching the 317 heads. 243 heads with smaller chambers would make it snappier for sure. I'd probably ditch the heads before the cam. I'm also assuming you have flat top pistons and not domed.

I have a Firebird with a 5.3 and a similar set up. My opinion is its a bit doggy on the low end with a 222/227 113lsa cam. I think my tune and some other things could use some work before I reserve final judgement but I have considered a *slightly* smaller cam and tighter lsa to get the party started quicker.

Edit: I thought I saw 7875 turbo and my recommendations are based on that. I guess just try what you got, should still spool good. If you did everything I suggested with that small turbo it might be too much for 93 octane.
Old 08-30-2024, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Yea it's all out together just wanted to get a feel for the setup and other similar setups before I get into tuning. Going to conservative tune from the "learned" tune then likely have baker engineering give it a real tune because they are next door. Thought about picking Steve Morris brain abit as he is close.

Honestly I'm trying to balance a few things good bottomed end but not too good because the no weight over tire situation (moving a 20 gal fuel cell just behind the axle and the battery just in front which will help). I don't expect too much because I am running the stock 3.07 rear gear and a mechanical locker for a couple reasons. 1. Primarily because I don't want to invest in the rear end until I know the gear setup then I'll go to a LSD and 3.5x or 3.73 2. I'm trying to buffer the bottom end with the low rear gear ratio so I don't blow tires every roll in.

I would like to setup for E85 because it's pretty available around here and do a flex fuel sensor if it will adjust on the fly but that is down the road. If I start getting IAT too high I'll just run 8psi and hold tight until I do water/meth, E85, or both.

Thanks for the input, good to know I'm not looking at it all backwards. I am an engineer by trade to this setup stuff excites me.

Btw I just asked the guy who I bought the motor from, they are flat top pistons with valve relief. So my guess is they are a bit taller or are for a high lift cam, hence the valve relief.

Old 08-30-2024, 01:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

TJ @ Baker is very knowledgeable with this stuff.

I think after two weeks at 8 psi you will want more.
Old 08-30-2024, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

We're close to the same boat here , I'm 68 gmc long bed 6L/ 4l80e . These trucks are heavier than most think they are , about 4250 for truck with fuel - no driver. My original goal was about the same 550 -600 rwhp or 11.5 + ( no cage) since then it's done 10.76 @ 126.75 and 32,000 miles of street driving. I think you've over built the bottom end for your goals but still good insurance. Just my opinion but you've got a cam for 6500 rpm and a turbo that's probably going to be done by 6000 - not ideal. I would go up to a 7875 with a smaller cam ( mine is 214/214 113+3 approx 570/550 lift , pulls hard to 6000 but done about there as is the rest of it - 3 inch intercooler, Cast 7875. C10 on air bags is probably going to have traction issues, what size tire OD you plan on running? Has a huge effect on gear ratio choice. E85 certainly not necessary for your goals but won't hurt a bit , just need more pump , injector.
Old 08-30-2024, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GMCGreg
We're close to the same boat here , I'm 68 gmc long bed 6L/ 4l80e . These trucks are heavier than most think they are , about 4250 for truck with fuel - no driver. My original goal was about the same 550 -600 rwhp or 11.5 + ( no cage) since then it's done 10.76 @ 126.75 and 32,000 miles of street driving. I think you've over built the bottom end for your goals but still good insurance. Just my opinion but you've got a cam for 6500 rpm and a turbo that's probably going to be done by 6000 - not ideal. I would go up to a 7875 with a smaller cam ( mine is 214/214 113+3 approx 570/550 lift , pulls hard to 6000 but done about there as is the rest of it - 3 inch intercooler, Cast 7875. C10 on air bags is probably going to have traction issues, what size tire OD you plan on running? Has a huge effect on gear ratio choice. E85 certainly not necessary for your goals but won't hurt a bit , just need more pump , injector.

Yea won't be seeing any strip time so not targeting a specific goal. I read the curb weight was like 3800 which seemed light so that's good context. Yea the cam isn't great we will see how it feels and adjust from there. The tire is a 305/40/22 which is like 31". So big heavy transport steelies. Just want enough power to make it go. I am keeping springs if I want to go back I can. What I didn't state is I really only want early and flat torque curve, could care less about HP.

​​​​​You're the second person to say I need more injector and first to say more pump on E85. Curious when I run online calculators it all says I am good well above 600. What is this based on? Experience, other builds, calculations? Any I doing the calculator wrong?
Old 08-30-2024, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Oh and on the motor I bought it as a fresh build and got a good deal. I agree on insurance 👍🏻
Old 08-31-2024, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't mean more pump and injector than you spec'd just more than if you stay on pump gas , will have a look later. With that tire I'm sure you'll need/want 3.73s. My combo would actually be a bit better for street and possibly track if it had a bit of lag - there is none now. The smaller 5.3 may help with that with a 7875 .96
Old 08-31-2024, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Ahh gotcha. The gear is pretty tall, mixed reviews "theory" with a tall rear gear and a charger. Some say loading it helps others say no. I'm hoping to help me with traction a bit haha. If but I'll rip apart the rear down the road.

You mentioned air bags and traction, I was under the impression you shock setup and linkage to the rear end had way more to do with traction?
Old 08-31-2024, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by BurnieC10
Ahh gotcha. The gear is pretty tall, mixed reviews "theory" with a tall rear gear and a charger. Some say loading it helps others say no. I'm hoping to help me with traction a bit haha. If but I'll rip apart the rear down the road.

You mentioned air bags and traction, I was under the impression you shock setup and linkage to the rear end had way more to do with traction?

I just measured my tires at 25.5" and I have 3.25" gears. I think its about perfect for what I'm doing (street/sunny day driver with 1% of its time at a drag strip for test and tunes). I can barely spin the tires but 99% chance I change the turbo, tune, boost level and cam and leave the gear where its at. More power > more gear!

That said, I think you probably will want more gear with that tall of a tire but I would hold off until the rest of your combo is where you want it.
Old 08-31-2024, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BurnieC10

I mentioned air bags and traction because I may have wrongly assumed that meant really low with the stock trailing arms and front mounting point that ends in poor traction ( not cornering) just straight line, if it's a 4 link set up you should be able to dial it in. Many considerations for the right gear ratio, like will the engine combo like to be pushing 4500 - 5000 lbs up a hill at 1500rpm locked up in OD? I for one want that, others may not care. Use some of the calculators available and check some possible scenarios but I think 31" tire and 3.08s will be about 1500 @60mph add in poor aerodynamics and it may not be a good driver , cam will play a huge roll here . Loading the engine will surely make boost earlier but that doesn't translate directly to better performance, some are obsessed with seeing boost early and at low rpm , I don't see the point especially if you're auto shift points are responsible and if you don't have a multi disc converter ( ptc told me to have it unlock at 30% tps to save the clutch) definitely not wrong to build it first , drive it and then figure what gear you think will suit it best
Old 08-31-2024, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you say rings gapped , were they gapped for boost or NA ? I didn't worry mihe cause I know that 180000m tends to open them up a little. If you're planning on WM injection use it , another insurance plan

Quick Reply: Street 5.3 turbo, the BEST setup