Old 12-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll stick to an ac delco unit.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

UPDATE

The miss I mentioned earlier ended up being a few bad lifters making it feel like a high rpm miss. FWIW, Bob sent me a new unit after I called him so it would be ready to switch out with the one on my car just to rule out his product. No down time waiting on shipping and he covered the shipping cost both ways.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96LT1355Z28
UPDATE

The miss I mentioned earlier ended up being a few bad lifters making it feel like a high rpm miss. FWIW, Bob sent me a new unit after I called him so it would be ready to switch out with the one on my car just to rule out his product. No down time waiting on shipping and he covered the shipping cost both ways.
damn I need to send mine back to get rebuilt then id love to have that as a back up one when my cheapo goes out.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Default dynaspark issue

Originally Posted by robinhood2112
I am also having the same issues with the car stalling after it warms up, but now it has finally quit running all together, I took the car to the cheyy dealer for a diagnostic test on a intermittent stalling and loss of tach issue and was told it was the opti failing! (shock)
this was just before it completely quit running so after 3000 miles the Dynaspark had failed , so I am wondering if it is the Optical sensor and is this a ongoing issue for all of us Dynaspark purchasers over the last couple years? maybe the company should go back to the mitsubishi unit. this is way to much money to have to be replacing the opti unit every yea in a car that only has 85k on the engine. the car is still sitting in the driveway untouched for the last couple months as I am so disappointed to say the least, after recieving 2 opti units prior from the partslady and them failing, I thought this was the cure. was I wrong ? so now I am seriously contemplating selling the 97SS with less than 100k on it.
7/13 well got 2 years and 10k on odometer and it failed again, is it the sensor again ? my guess is it is from overheating just my 2 cents........

Last edited by robinhood2112; 09-20-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 11-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Teching In

hmmmm...I was going to use the Gen III unit they offer (opti only no distributor) but a bit disheartened after seeing this. ( I saw this same post on the Corvette fourms but figured I would post here too to see if I can get any feedback because I am at witts end!)

Guys I have had 2 MDS's fail on me in less than 300 miles. Got a refund from them. Stock opti went back on and it just failed me this fall. Car has a Pro Charger so I am sick of tearing it apart! I thought I would get quality with MSD and it was CRAP!

I am going to do the LTCC coil conversion. Bob Baily (LTCC) said to me in E mail and I quote: none of these people make their own optical pickup, it seems there are a few sources. Some of the opti people were advertising that they were using Mitsubishi sensors, at least this was the case a few years ago. Otherwise, I usually recommend a delco unit. I personally had good results with the Chandler Motorsports unit, but that particular car was just a stock engined car.

So with that said, do any of you know what opti still uses the Mitsubishi sensors? I kinda liked the idea of the Dynaspark since it was ONLY the sensor and no distributor. Now I really don't know what to do. I can get one from the dealer but there as much as the Dynaspark. It looks like my original opti that failed (only 35K on the car) the sensor still works. Should tear it open, clean it up and put a new cap on it and use it for the conversion? ugggg...I HATE this optispark. I wish I would have NEVER started this project, but when the car runs I love driving it...
Old 11-06-2013, 06:36 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I had my 1994 Formula when the MSD unit came out. I bought it and it worked well from day one-I never had any issues with it.

The best upgrade I did to my car back then was the LTCC system. It worked great.

If I were to have an LT1 engine today, I'd go straight to the 24x system from EFI Connections.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I had my 1994 Formula when the MSD unit came out. I bought it and it worked well from day one-I never had any issues with it.

The best upgrade I did to my car back then was the LTCC system. It worked great.

If I were to have an LT1 engine today, I'd go straight to the 24x system from EFI Connections.
Looked into it but to run a LS ECM and then to have to basically make your own harness for that ECM there is no way I'm doing that. Plus you lose some creature comforts like traction control, cruise etc...
Got the LTCC in today. Just trying to decide what to use for the trigger
Old 11-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Angry Dynaspark Disaster

I bought a Gen III distributor from Dynaspark recently, installed it, and found that the engine was very difficult to start and keep running. I drained the coolant so I could reinstall the old OEM distributor which I cleaned up internally. I had removed the timing cover to replace the three seals and change the timing gears and chain. Engine ran great with OEM opti!! $20 lager sent Gen III distributor back to Mr. Hogan of Dynaspark after telling him of the situation. He sent it back to me and said it was the reluctor that was bent, claiming he had never seen that problem before. Well, I reinstalled the "fixed" Gen III and started the engine. Did fine until driving the car for a few minutes around the neighborhood. Then, engine acted just like times when the distributor failed due to fluid infringement! Rather than go back and forth with Dynaspark as some other customers experienced, I decided to disassemble the Gen III and install the opti sensor from my old distributor (which worked well) and be sure that the job would work. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel to make slots in the 4 security fasteners so I could use a regular slotted screwdriver since I could not find any store that sold that peculiar security bit. Carefully cut the silicon sealant holding the aluminum housing parts together and unscrewed the 4 fasteners. Had to drill out the 2 holes on the old optical sensor so the sensor would fit over the roll pin studs that were larger on the Gen III distributor. Reassembled the opti, resealed it with some GE Supreme Silicone bath sealant (it's rated for 400 degrees F!) and let it cure for 24 hours. Sure enough, the NEW Gen III performed well after reinstalling it. Dynaspark must be still using the cheap, defective Chinese optical sensors rather that the Mitsubishi ones that work well and used by GM. I'm optimistic about the long term reliability with the Dynaspark design for keeping out fluids, but you would think after spending over $500 on and opti that ALL of the parts of it would be superior.

Quick Reply: Dynaspark Experience (Long)