LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why you go with sponsors over ebay...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Why you go with sponsors over ebay...

Im posting this in LT1 because the parts are for an Lt1... Plus no admins should care about a good ebay bash right?

first attempt-

Ebay long tube headers with y pipe - stainless. - 280$ shipped

Shipping time - good

box packaging - thin plastic bags, Very very loosely packed. Box had holes in it and showed signs of being beaten up.

Parts included - Clamps for Y pipe to header connection, and some generic brand header gaskets. (no header bolts)

Fitment - Horrible, I felt bad for taking a hammer to a pacesetter long tube primary befor, I figured for 280$ i could do it again and not worry. I hit them a few times. I replaced both motor mounts, fitment was still horrible. Didnt even attempt passenger side after drivers side caused so many issues. Wouldnt clear the steering knuckle by half an inch. The jig these are built on are just plain wrong. I know some people think they are all built off the same jig, they arnt. The #1 primary clearly shows this when compared to pacesetter or any other header.

Customer service - Ok, nothing great, they offered to accept them for returns if they werent damaged or modified in anyway.

Second attempt-

WS6Store.com Jet hot long tube headers - 399$ shipped

Shipping time - Good

Box packaging - A+. Everything was bubble wraped and then wraped again with foam. Box was very tightly/neatly packed. To me this says worlds of difference in attitude about the product youve purchased.

Parts Included - Header gaskets, name brand hooker header gaskets. Header bolts, also hooker header/holly brand.

Fitment - you kidding me? They are coated hooker long tubes, how do you think they are gonna fit? primary for the steering linkage is 2 pieces.

Customer service - Great, I havent really had to use them as i havent had any issues, the product speaks for itself, it fits, no need to contact customer service.

Bottom line - Support the sponsors, and in doing so get good parts with good fitment. All of you who think about ebay headers, your better off saving more money and getting a part that works without using a sledge hammer or going through a entire grinding wheel.

I know i see alot of people posting about wanting ebay stainless headers. This was my experience with them. The only good thing that came of it is that i got new energy suspension motor mounts (bought them to try and help fitment).
Old 05-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah from the horror stories I have heard I would rather save the extra $120 and buy from a Sponsor.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad bought a hooker catback from a sponsor. It arrived with half of the pipes crushed at the joints.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

Lol everyone has the fitment issue with the ebays but no one feels bad for dinging up a set of 280 stainless headers my Ebays look real good quality and guess what Stainless will last forever and they are stepped unlike all the others.

Pretty sure just about everyone Ebay Header thread has the fitment issues did you jump into the install with no research ???
Old 05-05-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

What sponser did your dad buy from?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

eBay used to be a great trading and auction website...now its primarily a retail storefront. I did buy my headers on ebay, but they weren't "no names" or "knock-offs", fitment was great and I saved about 50 bucks compared with Jegs and Summit.

I agree, don't buy the cheap, no name stuff of ebay...but if I saw someone selling some name (sponser) branded parts on ebay, I'd be all over it.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What if a site sponsor sold quality parts on ebay? Would that just totally blow your ******* mind?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I still don't understand why people buy headers (presumably for increased exhaust flow), then beat the heck out of them to clear obstacles (reducing flow) and then say they are happy with the results and quality. IMHO, any header you have to beat on to get it to fit is not properly engineered or built. I guess if you lower your expectations enough, everything is fine, LOL.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
I still don't understand why people buy headers (presumably for increased exhaust flow), then beat the heck out of them to clear obstacles (reducing flow) and then say they are happy with the results and quality. IMHO, any header you have to beat on to get it to fit is not properly engineered or built. I guess if you lower your expectations enough, everything is fine, LOL.
Kinda like you get what you pay for.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
Kinda like you get what you pay for.
You must have mis read over the Dynaspark horror story thread here today 600 dollar Opti that was nothing but trouble for someone.

I truly don't believe in this "ALL" the time. The major companies were once small and cheaper and become the companies they are today but people buying the "Cheap" junk that turns into a huge company.........for the most part it is you get what you pay for or you pay for the name is what i think is more true then anything
Old 05-05-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shbox
I guess if you lower your expectations enough, everything is fine, LOL.
well said to be honest tho. my ebay specials didnt need so much banging that it deformed the tube to the point where it creates a noticeable restriction. and for $300 i couldnt pass them up.

On a side note tho. Im probably going to be sending them out to get jet hot coated, through my friend whos a retailer. Just to keep the engine bay temps down abit. Im a lunatic!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

i read the horror stories about the install, and to the smart *** (lol) who said "what if a sponsor sold parts on ebay"..thats different. Im referring to truely ebay headers like ap1 ap2, dnamotoring, any of the others. their jig is totally wrong.

Asfar as stainless lasting forever, Maybe i should mention the jet hots come with a no hassle warrenty. Any rust what-so-ever and you get new headers.

Btw, i had time to make a new thread, read the replys, and post again....AND guess what...my drivers side header is on! Lets see your ebay headers do that!

the headers got back to my house @ about 6:10pm. I unpacked them, i made a new thread, I installed a header, i replied...its now 7:50pm

I wasted 2 weeks on the DRIVERS side of those stupid freaking peice of crap ebay headers, and it didnt even make it on the car. This is why you pay 120$ extra.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by trilkb
i read the horror stories about the install, and to the smart *** (lol) who said "what if a sponsor sold parts on ebay"..thats different. Im referring to truely ebay headers like ap1 ap2, dnamotoring, any of the others. their jig is totally wrong.

Asfar as stainless lasting forever, Maybe i should mention the jet hots come with a no hassle warrenty. Any rust what-so-ever and you get new headers.

Btw, i had time to make a new thread, read the replys, and post again....AND guess what...my drivers side header is on! Lets see your ebay headers do that!
LOL

you realize how many people are running Ebay headers right??? They work obviously just have to be smarter then what your working with
Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

the drivers side needed to be beaten in atleast 1/2 inch. I have pictures. That takes your all mightly 1 3/4 stepped header to a nice oval 1 1/4...Im sure that wont effect scavenging or one cylinder having a much higher temp
Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

That steering knuckle you had to get around well the word is around the street that you can move it

But the internet said it so it can't be true.....
Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

it only has to clear the knuckle by 1/16 of an inch to function properly i MIGHT have had to ding it a small 1/4inch spot on the #1...
OH MY GOD MY #1 CANT SCAVENGE EQUALLY FROM BEING CRUSHED NOW!! ...LOL
i mocked my speed daddy's up in a day.. got drunk, got laid, passed out... woke up the next day and tweaked it all and put the car back on the ground BIG DEAL. the passenger side was even easier ,sure the jig isn't perfect but **** they were 250 shipped with a damn Y-pipe! Good luck on making good on the "IF IT EVER RUSTS YOU GET NEW HEADERS' deal they will rust in time and they'll claim its cause you fucked up somehow.. save your receipts and 1st born
Oh!.. (("IMO"))
cause opinions are like ********, everyone has one and everyone is one

Last edited by defaultexistence; 05-05-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:45 PM
9 Second Club

I think it just depends on the part.... Some things I have gotten off Ebay and been completely happy with and saved a ton of money....other things I have got off Ebay and they have been junk...

some goes with sponsors on here...some things I have bought and been great! Other things I have bought and been like WTF when I tried to install...

Then customer service is a toss up as it seems like a lot of places don't really give a **** either way once you have paid for the item.... (not all of them but more and more it seems like)
Old 05-05-2011, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gregrob
What if a site sponsor sold quality parts on ebay? Would that just totally blow your ******* mind?
Mind blown in 3..... 2......
Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

yes everyones entitled to their own opinion, this is me expressing mine.

Im 150% happier with the jet hots over the ebays. Life is easy, plus money goes towards people who help the site. Everyone wins.

Also my mod list doesnt say "ebay headers", and im proud of that in itself.

BRE/LE 226/232 cam
Comp cams ultra pro mag 1.6
Patriot springs
ls7 lifters
TFS chromemoly pushrods
jet hot long tube headers

(sounds better then "ebay headers" to me! now my only issue is that damn TCI stall haha)

Last edited by trilkb; 05-05-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

There are a few variations of "eBay stainless headers" out there some blow, some don't.
Last march, I picked up a set of EXACT pacesetter knock offs (not the stepped-tube junk) for $280 with a y-pipe. I bought band clamps instead of the supplied u bolt clamps, and felpro gaskets instead of the junk they sent me.

Now, granted I removed the starter, and steering shaft, these headers, BOTH SIDES went right in to place, no hassle what so ever. They fit well enough that they actually slid back Out the bottom of the car when I wen up top to bolt them down.
Frame rail/floor pan/k member clearance was phenominal, steering shaft/column clearance was no issue at all. Hell, with the 10mm headed 3/8-16 header bolts they sent me, I tightened every bolt up with a boxed end wrench too.

Now, I had the wowzomgsuper$$$ hooker super comp's on the car before, and they were an absolute bitch to put on compared to the eBay jobs I had.

Maybe I just had the 1:1,000,000 that were "right" but i have had zero issues with my eBay headers.

Quick Reply: Why you go with sponsors over ebay...