Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

lose some more weight...
Old 05-30-2011, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gregrob is absolutely correct, SS RRRs post is total bullshit. I have seen cars with AI cams go slower than they did stock. Yet I would never say its AIs fault or AI cars are slow. There are tons of variables to making a car work. Its the total combo that makes a car run.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
lose some more weight...
lol, theres more to be lost I'm sure but I dont want a track only car, I like to keep it very streetable. I forgot to add one other big change I made, I tried bumping my shift point up to 6400, last week I had the light set at 6100 or 6200, not sure. I think I went too high, my mph dropped 1mph on average on all the runs, only hit 116 on 2 of them this time. I think I went beyond my max hp shifting that high, I should have stayed 6200-63. That may have been enough right there to keep me out of the 11's. Oh well, I know it will get there eventually.

AC
I didnt take it that he was bashing LE cars, maybe I dont know SS RRR that well though. I just took it that he was saying I was running better than some of them. I see people on here all the time with bigger dyno numbers than me that dont run close to what I have, I just think that they probably dont concentrate on drag mods as much as I do and dont have as much experience running their setups. Plus there are some tracks that aren't very suited to letting guys get time in run after run to dial their car in. I live 5 minutes from Maple Grove Raceway but I hate running there. Its such a big track and they tend to look down on late model EFI cars like ours. If your not running a sub 9 second classic muscle car its like your wasting their time there, lol. I always run lousy times there because I get like 3 runs in a 4 hour period most times I go. At Cecil I get like 10 runs in 1-2 hours, its waaay easier to dial in there when you can run back to back runs quickly. I drive over an hour to get to this track becuase its a lot smaller and friendlier to guys like us.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
Thats hilarious SS. You really are full of **** arent you

This one traps 120+
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-ford-9-a.html

This one would trap a tad higher than 115...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...6hp-449tq.html

This one traps 122
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...eo-inside.html

This one traps 119
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=38197

This one traps 117+ with room for improvement
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=76743

This one traps 124
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=124054

This one traps 119
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...k-numbers.html

This one traps 127
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=31244

Mid 11's and 118-119 MPH with crappy shifting
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...eo-inside.html

I could go on and on and on and on. I think the fact that all these cars are faster than you and blatantly disprove the garbage you're spewing about LE setups render your opinion pretty much useless..
I am not quite sure what your links prove since most of them are to profiles? Not a whole lot of detail? Roadtrip's car being used as an example? Seriously? Achotrod's car? That ET was run before the super cam exchange with promises of more power and better ET's, yet IIRC I think it has ran a best of low 12's now?
If you think you can go "on and on" then knock yourself out.

PS MEOW FSSSSS FFSSSSSS!

PPS Why the over emotion and pretentious crap? I've ran as quick as Achotrod's best at 98mph.

Originally Posted by GREGG 97Z
AC
I didnt take it that he was bashing LE cars, maybe I dont know SS RRR that well though. I just took it that he was saying I was running better than some of them. I see people on here all the time with bigger dyno numbers than me that dont run close to what I have, I just think that they probably dont concentrate on drag mods as much as I do and dont have as much experience running their setups.
I don't like LE. I really never have for several years now. A lot of it has to do with the amount of pics and complaints regarding QC. This goes back before a lot of these knuckleheads ever had LE setups or perhaps even a f-body. What I see (and let me make yet another disclaimer- IMO) is you running just as good as many LE setups. You have some things to try out to get your combo right, but the power is definitely there.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bradys car used to be LE2 dumb ****
Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm thinking this lid works really well at the track, ever since I added it I was blown away by the difference in throttle response from a roll, much faster response than my old CAI. Hell, starting to wonder how much rwhp that thing added.
People say the lid mod isnt worth it, i totally disagree and im sure you do now too, it makes the car breath like a champ up top.

A little odd on the mph increase i must say. 115 to 116 isnt much for what all you did. I hope the 12.3 changed from atleast like a 12.6-12.7 though lol. did you stick with stock head gaskets too or go with thinner ones?

As far as this LE debate goes, I got no problems with the guy. i havent given him any money and hes answered every question ive had about a used cam of his i bought, hes done it professionally and his response time to emails is very fast
Old 05-30-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Some big differences from my old stock head run till now. At that time I had a full set of tellstar skinnies & 15" rears with 275 m/t's plus incredibly good weather that day, 42 deg, -45 da.

Now, ported heads (by me) and lid, 17" C5's in front, 16" stock wheels & m/t dr's, temps in the 70's and not sure of da. My best et this time was a 12.07 at 116. I did go with a .026 gasket. In nice cold weather I don't doubt my car may be worth another 1-2 mph. I'll find out in the fall.

Oh, and I am a total beleiver in the lid mod now, lol. Car breathes way better from a roll all the way to the end. And I did the lid after I did the porting, so I could really feel the differences. I was actually working all day today on improving some restrictions around the filter and boxing in the sheet metal I took out of the area under the stock rad support. I may build a ram air box to feed it as well.

Last edited by GREGG 97Z; 05-30-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by gregrob
Bradys car used to be LE2 dumb ****
OIC. Yeah I saw the screen name and really didn't pay attention to the thread, but now that you've brought that to my attention.... dyno numbers? That's what you want to use as an example? Your "on and on" fails to deliver.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lid mod ftmfw!!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Village Troll

Some big differences from my old stock head run till now. At that time I had a full set of tellstar skinnies & 15" rears with 275 m/t's plus incredibly good weather that day, 42 deg, -45 da.

Now, ported heads (by me) and lid, 17" C5's in front, 16" stock wheels & m/t dr's, temps in the 70's and not sure of da. My best et this time was a 12.07 at 116. I did go with a .026 gasket. In nice cold weather I don't doubt my car may be worth another 1-2 mph. I'll find out in the fall.
I wish you all the luck in the world. If you are interested in getting heads professionally done I'd suggest Craig Gallant from GTP. A member named Puck has some that were (I think) recently ported by GTP. I am very anxious to see how they work. GTP was known for getting LT1 **** done in the 90's. IMO I think you should steer clear of LE.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

The coupler is a 3" round Fernco rubber plumbing fitting. I got it at Home Depot in the plumbing section. It fits the MAF end fine, the trick to getting it to fit the TB is to heat it up in a pot of hot water. That lets it soften up and very easy to mold to fit the TB. It even comes with the right size hoze clamps. I got the air box/upper rad support piece from a guy in my area that switched to a turbo set up, it was from a 01 Z I beleive. You dont use the airbox assembly though, at least you cant under a stock z hood. Guys with raised cowl hoods can use the whole assembly from what I hear. Im pretty sure you just want to get one from a non ramair camaro, not sure if a firebird/ta is the same. I dont think the year camaro matters, 98-02 should be the same. I ordered the lid from SLP for a '99. I used the guys guide in this thread when I did mine, all the info you need should be there:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...stock+hood+lid
GREGG 97Z, Thank You! sooooooooooo ...... much for the additional info. I got everything I need now, thanks again!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Seriously? Achotrod's car? That ET was run before the super cam exchange with promises of more power and better ET's, yet IIRC I think it has ran a best of low 12's now?
Where do you get your info???

Maybe you missed it but the newer cam DID dyno higher and holds on longer. The car was only down .1 and 1.5 mph in the 1/4 with a much higher DA than before not to mention I added 100lbs to the car. Im having big problem on the front half do to the new suspension and tire combo. For NA it needs a 26" tire not a 28. Has NOTHING to do with the motor. If the car would 60 right it will pick up all around. I believe I have made the changes to fix all the problems I had but that motor is coming out b4 I hit the track again.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Where do you get your info???
Could you link the thread or threads where the two graphs are posted? Thanks

Greg "Grumpypants" Rob- If you really want to aid in your "on and on" campaign you could have at least referenced Javier's car. One of the best/most consistent LE setups there has been aside from BOLO's car.

U mad?
Old 05-31-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could you link the thread or threads where the two graphs are posted? Thanks

Greg "Grumpypants" Rob- If you really want to aid in your "on and on" campaign you could have at least referenced Javier's car. One of the best/most consistent LE setups there has been aside from BOLO's car.

U mad?
you guys crack me up. Holyshit youd think were all a big happy family
Old 05-31-2011, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

hey me and my family race up at cecil. what day do you go? we go sunday and we drive a 64 nova. run low 10s to mid 9s.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
you guys crack me up. Holyshit youd think were all a big happy family
lol what?? You never argue with your brothers/sisters?

SS rrr, Im sure you can find them. The car made a few more peak HP, was down a tad until about 4k then was almost identical until peak HP then newer cam holds on longer in the end. This cam also drives 100% better as well on the street. Again Im sure you can find the graphs on here if you really want to see them. The only thing I do agree with you about the newer cam is I thought there would be a bigger gain with it. In the end the above is what happened.
What I can tell ya is ask anyone that has seen my car run in person(lots of guys on this site) and ask them how bad the car was leaving. The car was just falling on its face do to the tire and suspension set up. You can also see it in all the vids since I changed out the stock suspension and put on the 28s. Its not like Im making this **** up.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 97 6speed z
GREGG 97Z, Thank You! sooooooooooo ...... much for the additional info. I got everything I need now, thanks again!
No problem at all, best of luck with the lid conversion, let me know if you have any other questions on it. It is a little tricky to get it done right but well worth it in the end
Old 05-31-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1997transamws6
hey me and my family race up at cecil. what day do you go? we go sunday and we drive a 64 nova. run low 10s to mid 9s.
I only go there for Sat test & tune days, I was there the last two saturdays. I think the points races are there on sundays. Unfortunately I dont have the time & cash to run it competitively every weekend
Old 05-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Its not like Im making this **** up.
Grumpy Pants Greg wants to use your car as an example. I figured this would be the perfect time to sell LE's product. What I recall from both graphs is the power curve and numbers being basically the exact same and then seeing a vid of a few runs and the best mph was approx 114mph? Am I wrong?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

I wish you all the luck in the world. If you are interested in getting heads professionally done I'd suggest Craig Gallant from GTP. A member named Puck has some that were (I think) recently ported by GTP. I am very anxious to see how they work. GTP was known for getting LT1 **** done in the 90's. IMO I think you should steer clear of LE.

I would agree with this statement 100% GTP did a set of LT4 heads for me about 12yrs ago flowed around 290cfm intake and 198 exhaust @ 650 I know he has also done Chris's heads Z8's and we all know how his car runs. The only drawback with them is you are going to pay for their quality of work $$$.

Quick Reply: New PB MPH with hotcam after porting and lid