LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ugh, people do stupid things to cars...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price is high cause they can get it in that area, there is 2 large Marine bases to the south of New Bern and they love to hook them up.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I know about the dealerships near military posts all to well. We had Privates going out and signing contracts with 20% + interest. Despite all the warnings they get once they arrive at their base or post, they are young, some have a huge sign on bonus, and want new wheels BAD.

We had one kid who bought a SRT4 whith 150K on the clock, for close to $17,000 with like 18% interest. Nothing he could do afterwards; legal contract from a friendly "Buy Here Pay Here" lot. Should have listened and done his research. Nearly half of his deployment savings went to paying that lemon off.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tampa_97_SS
Yeah I know about the dealerships near military posts all to well. We had Privates going out and signing contracts with 20% + interest. Despite all the warnings they get once they arrive at their base or post, they are young, some have a huge sign on bonus, and want new wheels BAD.

We had one kid who bought a SRT4 whith 150K on the clock, for close to $17,000 with like 18% interest. Nothing he could do afterwards; legal contract from a friendly "Buy Here Pay Here" lot. Should have listened and done his research. Nearly half of his deployment savings went to paying that lemon off.
Can't fix stupid. I saw so many Marines ruin their credit, while I was down in Cherry Point.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I guess some people just dont understand interest rates and negative equity, but isnt that america in general?

I know someone with a vehicle worth 1000$ on the best day of its life, as in the original owner wants it back and throws out a huge number to get it back, and that number is still 1000$! But according to his bank account its worth almost 10...and yea he mightve ended up in the Us Army lol
Old 05-26-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this talk about dealerships near bases is taking me back. I was having some issues with my 83 Z28 so I went to the local Chevy dealership. They had a 95 Z28 there, so I test drove it. My first drive in a 4th gen. Took my friend with me, we decided it rides a lot nicer than my 83(heads,full exhaust), but is slower(it was stock) and it was an automatic. So it had power everything and leather interior. I kid you not in 2003 this dealership wanted $9.5k for this 95 Z28 with like 95k miles.

As it wasn't exactly what I wanted and I knew that was way too high I scoffed at the price. The salesman asks me what would I pay for it? I said not a penny over $5.5k out the door. No sale of course. 1 week later I come out of the barber shop on base. I see a 94 Z28 for sale ad, six speed. I pulled off one of the little tabs, called the number and set up a test drive that evening. Called my bank and had a one owner, stock, t56, stripper, hardtop Z28 for $4500, at like 4.5% interest. It was owned by an officer, he said it was his first new car. He kept a log of even every tank of gas he put in it, and when he did maintenance on it.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I used to ride by that lot on the way to work back in 2001. For the longest time, there was a green TA there and it made me think about the regret of selling my black 93. Not until June of 2008 did I correct my mistake and buy another LT1. It was a green 94 Formula hardtop with 64k original miles. Interior was dirty and headliner was falling but I spent some time and fixed all that. Fixed a couple of small leaks under the hood and she was good to go. My mom loved riding in it the summer of 08. She won't go near it now, with heads and cam.

I overpaid for it and gave $4800.00. Also an EBay purchase. I was a victim of my own enthusiasm- Flew into Dulles and rode over to Kip Kilmon's Ford and drove it back to Raleigh. And I pulled the cherry grids off it and stashed them for safe keeping. I actually like the way L34 tails look on a green LT1. Call me an ***... right now those grid tails are on the red 94 A4.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:43 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by camar0corey
All this talk about dealerships near bases is taking me back.
I drove 5 hours from base to get my car.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fex77k
I drove 5 hours from base to get my car.
Thats the way to do it. If a dealer around post sees the hair cut and/or uniform they will trip over their own two feet trying to meet you outside..lol. Most used car dealers at the little lots have a certain "sleez" about them, but its twice as bad at the lots right outside the Main Gate lol.

Quick Reply: ugh, people do stupid things to cars...