LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Turbo 383 Build.. AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many PSI do you run? I can't believe how good everything looks, when you get it going I would love to see some action vids

Keep up the good work
Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, what sub frame connectors are those on your car?

Love this car btw! very nice!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ran 15psi before. With the better pistons and AFR heads, I can run more. It depends on how tuning goes. I plan on competing in the LTX Shootout this year so keep an eye out.

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
If you don't mind me asking, what sub frame connectors are those on your car?

Love this car btw! very nice!
Thanks. They are UMI 3-point bolt in subframe connectors.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lookin good brotha good luck with it should haul ***
Old 06-29-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's already starting . Are there any valve covers out there that don't completely suck? I filled it up with oil last night and today I see it leaking at the back of the cover. I'm trying to keep my engine bay oil free this time!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralls
It's already starting . Are there any valve covers out there that don't completely suck? I filled it up with oil last night and today I see it leaking at the back of the cover. I'm trying to keep my engine bay oil free this time!
Mitchell,

When do you think you will redyno?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Which gaskets did you use?? I have always had good luck with the blue rubber fel pros. I think you can get them with the metal insert in them so they can't push out when you tighten them down.

I use stockers, but I don't know if you could use them with a vacuum pump. And they don't look the greatest, I'll be changing mine out after I get it up and running again

I can't wait to see some dyno numbers, I priced out a procharger setup the other day and after that sticker shock think I may want to do a turbo setup haha. Overall cost is similar, but the adjust-ability of the turbo setup as well as the "free" power you gain is making me lean the direction again.

Keep up the good work, you can't have a project like this without a few snags along the way, thats at least how it works for me

Old 07-02-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Mitchell,

When do you think you will redyno?
Probably in 2-3 weeks.

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Which gaskets did you use?? I have always had good luck with the blue rubber fel pros. I think you can get them with the metal insert in them so they can't push out when you tighten them down.

I use stockers, but I don't know if you could use them with a vacuum pump. And they don't look the greatest, I'll be changing mine out after I get it up and running again

I can't wait to see some dyno numbers, I priced out a procharger setup the other day and after that sticker shock think I may want to do a turbo setup haha. Overall cost is similar, but the adjust-ability of the turbo setup as well as the "free" power you gain is making me lean the direction again.

Keep up the good work, you can't have a project like this without a few snags along the way, thats at least how it works for me

I did use felpro silicone rubber ones with the steel core. It's the valve covers. I tossed them out and got a set of cast aluminum covers. Much more solid than fabricated sheet metal. We will see how these ones work.

Yeh I'm not sure if a turbo or procharger setup is cheaper. I would think turbo is more expensive unless you built the hot parts yourself. The good thing about a procharger kit, is that it's going to fit since mounting holes on the engine don't change from motor to motor. A turbo kit might not fit every car once you start changing things like motor mounts, k-members, oil pans. Hmm sounds familiar lol.

Anyways, I should have it buttoned up this weekend. Then it's off to a shop to get the merge pipe fabricated and tuned. I'm curious to see how much of a difference these AFR's are going to make.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Which valve covers did you get? I saw that Jegs has their cast tall covers on sale for $75. I thought about grabbing a set and having a friend of mine powdercoat them in wrinkle black
Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never could figure out the brand of the valve covers. I bought them from a local speed shop. They were the only ones with a clear underside so I could drill and mount my oil fill cap and AN bung. The polished aluminum matches the engine better too.

One other hiccup presented itself. The welds on my fuel rail for the AN bungs have a few pinholes which leak fuel. That's getting fixed now so it shouldn't slow me down too much.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

The car has been running great so far. I finally got it dyno tuned the other day. I'm making a little under 500hp at 12psi on a mustang dyno. I have been having issues with increasing the boost with manual boost controllers. Right now it's running off the gate spring. I've tried two ball and spring type controllers and they both make too much boost even when it's turned all the way down. The lowest they dial down to is like 18psi. Once I get that figured out I will add a safe amount of boost and spray water/meth.

I'm going to take it to the track tomorrow and see how she runs as it sits. I'm curious to see how it compares to my last run of 11.1@128 when it lifted the heads, blew the head gasket, and broke the ring lands. It doesn't feel as fast as before, but it's more efficient. Turbo spools faster and I'm revving past stock shift tables this time. Wish me luck!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

The car has been running great so far. I finally got it dyno tuned the other day. I'm making a little under 500hp at 12psi on a mustang dyno. I have been having issues with increasing the boost with manual boost controllers. Right now it's running off the gate spring. I've tried two ball and spring type controllers and they both make too much boost even when it's turned all the way down. The lowest they dial down to is like 18psi. Once I get that figured out I will add a safe amount of boost and spray water/meth.

I'm going to take it to the track tomorrow and see how she runs as it sits. I'm curious to see how it compares to my last run of 11.1@128 when it lifted the heads, blew the head gasket, and broke the ring lands. It doesn't feel as fast as before, but it's more efficient. Turbo spools faster and I'm revving past stock shift tables this time. Wish me luck!
Hmmm... 500rwhp @ 12psi is low for a built 383 (even for a mustang dyno). Keep us posted on the track times.

Jon
Old 09-30-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Mitchell, any updates?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately, no. I was heading there and the road to the track was closed. The detour was too much out of the way to be there on time. Plus it rained a little right before so who knows how the track conditions would of been. I'll try again next Friday.

I agree 500hp is pretty low. With 8.5:1 compression, it's asking for more boost.
I was thinking about this today... is there a larger turbo that will fit without modifying the exhaust?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what size or where did you get the coupler to go from the round 3'' to the oval tb?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Unfortunately, no. I was heading there and the road to the track was closed. The detour was too much out of the way to be there on time. Plus it rained a little right before so who knows how the track conditions would of been. I'll try again next Friday.

I agree 500hp is pretty low. With 8.5:1 compression, it's asking for more boost.
I was thinking about this today... is there a larger turbo that will fit without modifying the exhaust?
I was thinking about it more... you made 650rwhp @ 15psi previously on a dynojet right? If so, that probably would have been 575rwhp or so on a mustang dyno. You made ~500rwhp @ 12psi (3psi less) this time around on a mustang dyno, so you may not be too far off. I would push that TC78 to its limits first befoe swapping out.

A T76GTS is the biggest that will fit with no hotside modifications.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

BTW, any new pics of the crossover you had fabbed?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RealQuick
I was thinking about it more... you made 650rwhp @ 15psi previously on a dynojet right? If so, that probably would have been 575rwhp or so on a mustang dyno. You made ~500rwhp @ 12psi (3psi less) this time around on a mustang dyno, so you may not be too far off. I would push that TC78 to its limits first befoe swapping out.

A T76GTS is the biggest that will fit with no hotside modifications.
Actually I have the turbonetics t-76 .96ar. I don't really want to change out the turbo cause it's still new. My tuner thinks it's too small and I could have too much back pressure. I don't know much about the ins and outs of turbos. Would a GTS be much improvement?

I will get a picture of the new cross-over for you.

Originally Posted by lt1badbird
what size or where did you get the coupler to go from the round 3'' to the oval tb?
It's a 3" to 4" reducer and it fits fine. However, the first one I bought was too short so the transition was too drastic to fit all the way around the TB. The one on it now is about an inch longer. I can try to figure out what brand I bought if you want.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

And yes, it was a dynojet previously. So your calculations seem accurate.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here you go, Jon. I still need to get it ceramic coated like the rest of the exhaust.

Here is a quick video I made trying to monitor the gauges on the dyno.

Quick Reply: Turbo 383 Build.. AGAIN