LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Low Profile Oil filter and why brand of Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my dd '08 trailblazer and wifes '11 Outback I run the M1 15k mi oil and a M1 filter. Run all my dd cars to 15k on it for the past 10 years without a single internal problem. Just use the RP in the z because it has been reported to add a few extra hp. I only put a few thousand a year on it and change it so I'm not so concerned about any 'breakdown' of the oil.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

So nobody here uses recycled oil, bunch of green haters...
Old 06-07-2011, 03:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WS Sick
So nobody here uses recycled oil, bunch of green haters...
size of my carbon footprint..............

Old 06-07-2011, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
size of my carbon footprint..............

Forwarding this post to al gore.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

On a serious note I just changed it with VR1 synthetic last change since valvoline had a coupon for 6 free quarts on their website last month. I normally just run 5w30 high millage mobile 1.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My shop has always recommended Valvoline Durablend for my engine, so thats what I run. They say it is better then M1 full synthetic for our older iron block engines.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Have we not learned anything along the way? STAY AWAY FROM ANY FRAM OIL FILTER LIKE IT'S THE PLAQUE.

German Castrol and Cummins Fleetgaurd oil filters are what I use. Having failed that, Mobil One oil & filters would be my second choice. Wix, K&N, RP are good filters. Most synthetic oil is good, RP is certainly at the bottom of the choices of synthetics yet is the most expensive-why use it??

And never, ever use an oil additive or "stabilizer".

Not slammin Royal Purple here, they make the best ATF that foams the least.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

don't just buy into the BS do some research and check out the UOA's. hell theres been numerous UOA's posted on tech, search and READ.
I run M1 in both my engine & trans & wix filters personally. after I get it rebuilt down the road I'll switch over to the GC, just don't want to run 0w w/ 80k miles.
and for those gullible people still dropping stupid amounts of money on RP-> http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic...mW6PM,b1M25KBS
want to buy some z-max to go along with that? add a tornado and zzzing!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Have we not learned anything along the way? STAY AWAY FROM ANY FRAM OIL FILTER LIKE IT'S THE PLAQUE.

German Castrol and Cummins Fleetgaurd oil filters are what I use. Having failed that, Mobil One oil & filters would be my second choice. Wix, K&N, RP are good filters. Most synthetic oil is good, RP is certainly at the bottom of the choices of synthetics yet is the most expensive-why use it??

And never, ever use an oil additive or "stabilizer".

Not slammin Royal Purple here, they make the best ATF that foams the least.
There is a huge difference between the old style Fram street filters that were clogging up and their race line.

A lot of guys run their tall race filter, myself included.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
There is a huge difference between the old style Fram street filters that were clogging up and their race line.

A lot of guys run their tall race filter, myself included.
I agree I can crush a standard fram filter with my hand, not so with the race filter.But, I use wix filters and Mobile 1 or valvoline if conventional.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Village Troll

Received 538 Likes on 390 Posts

What? No (Sc)Amsoil mentioned as of yet?
$70+ oil changes FTW...
Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
don't just buy into the BS do some research and check out the UOA's. hell theres been numerous UOA's posted on tech, search and READ.
I run M1 in both my engine & trans & wix filters personally. after I get it rebuilt down the road I'll switch over to the GC, just don't want to run 0w w/ 80k miles.
and for those gullible people still dropping stupid amounts of money on RP-> http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic...mW6PM,b1M25KBS
want to buy some z-max to go along with that? add a tornado and zzzing!
Last I bought RP it was the same price as M1, you make it sound like it's outrageously more expensive than other full synthetics. I honestly have done zero research on it since I started using it 5-6 years ago. Car sat for much of that time anyway. All the negativity I'm hearing about it now does have me thinking of going back to M1 though. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here where I live RP is 8.25 a qt and M1 is 6.38 a qt.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

5 quart jugs of M1 at walmart for $22....
Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, you guys got me, I dropped a stupid amount of money on RP, lol...
Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP's original question, if you want a short filter just use what the application book says to use for your car, the F Body LT1 filters are very short. I use the taller truck filter to get more filter media and oil capacity.

As to brands of oil and filter, it is certainly true that lots of people just use what they think is best with no real reason for it. I did some research on filters and came away liking Purolator Pureone and Bosch for my own personal use. They are similar in quality to the premium filters (Mobil 1 and K&N) at about half the price. As for oil the European Formula Castrol Syntec always produces great UOAs, that's probably what I'd run if my car didn't drink oil.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:12 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
just run a fram ph30 with a valvoline oil...........no need to go wasting your hard earned money on fancy looking boxes and bottles..........i been running frams and valvoline in everything i own and ive never once had an issue with anything..........i run the VR1 Valvoline in my LT1 and the Valvoline Synthetic in my LS2 gto.......and the high mileage valvoline in my truck.......cheap and great oil....
I use valvoline in all of my other motors, I just don't use it in my car. The price is great I will agree with you on that. I know that plenty of cars that use Fram oil filters, but I just can't bring myself to buying one. If you can run one to 8k then I don't think I'd ever have an issue with it, but I just can't do it.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes, the Fram racing filters are OK but no better than a M1 filter.

Yes, Amsoil is one of the good brands of synthetic oils, there's too many decent brands to list.

In my area, RP is always over seven bucks a quart, That's ludicrous. Highway robbery even. Castrol Syntec (including the GC) is often on sale at Pep Boys and Auto Zone for like 25 bucks for five quarts and a toss away cheapo filter like a Fram or bottom line Chumpion. Once, they had a similar sale Castrol sale with K&N filters.

OP, you asked why we'd recommend certain oils. I recommend German Castrol because it has shown to have the best breakdown resistance at high temperatures compared to other oils and it universally gets best ratings over at BITOG.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 06-08-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Yes, Amsoil is one of the good brands of synthetic oils, there's too many decent brands to list.
Ever use Redline motor oil?

I been using Redline ATF in my transmission for a few years now and like it a lot. Car seems to shift smoother than it does with anything else. I was just curious if their motor oil is as good.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Formula413
I did some research on filters and came away liking Purolator Pureone and Bosch for my own personal use. They are similar in quality to the premium filters (Mobil 1 and K&N) at about half the price. As for oil the European Formula Castrol Syntec always produces great UOAs, that's probably what I'd run if my car didn't drink oil.
I've always used Bosch until now, but the last 3 for my '69 Chevy have come with defective oil seals, that leaked oil when under pressure. This was with a clean surface on the block and oiling the seal before tightening. **** quality 3 out of 3 times? Granted, it's only been a problem on the model number for my truck.

Quick Reply: Low Profile Oil filter and why brand of Oil