LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Low Profile Oil filter and why brand of Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:41 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Red Line. Schaffer. Torco. Lucas. All good stuff. Schaffer sees some good use in race cars. Forget about what stickers are on the car.

Bosch has a high end line of oil filters. Never used them, but they look pretty good. They also make great dishwashers. And concert sound systems. And power tools. And hot water heaters. And food stuffs wrappers. And....
Old 06-09-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wix or AC Delco filters. Fram filters are the closest thing to a dirty sweat sock stuffed in a beer can you can buy as an oil filter, racing version included.

Oil depends on application. Mobil 1 for high performance street cars with catalytic converters. Valvoline VR1 for race cars with no cats. Castrol GTX for that hoopty you just want some decent, cheap oil in. Last but not least, Cummins turbo diesels absolutely love Valvoline premium blue non-synthetic.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05HD
Wix or AC Delco filters. Fram filters are the closest thing to a dirty sweat sock stuffed in a beer can you can buy as an oil filter, racing version included.
Might be being a little colorful with his words but, yes, I don't like Fram either....Wix ftw
Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula413
To the OP's original question, if you want a short filter just use what the application book says to use for your car, the F Body LT1 filters are very short. I use the taller truck filter to get more filter media and oil capacity.

As to brands of oil and filter, it is certainly true that lots of people just use what they think is best with no real reason for it. I did some research on filters and came away liking Purolator Pureone and Bosch for my own personal use. They are similar in quality to the premium filters (Mobil 1 and K&N) at about half the price. As for oil the European Formula Castrol Syntec always produces great UOAs, that's probably what I'd run if my car didn't drink oil.
YEAH i'VE SEEN A FEW COMPARISONS AND THE PUROLATORS ARE ALWAYS #1, TOO BAD i CAN NEVER FIND ANY IN MY AREA
edit:annnd sorry for the caps
Old 06-09-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CST10
I've always used Bosch until now, but the last 3 for my '69 Chevy have come with defective oil seals, that leaked oil when under pressure. This was with a clean surface on the block and oiling the seal before tightening. **** quality 3 out of 3 times? Granted, it's only been a problem on the model number for my truck.
Good to know, I haven't actually run one in a while because I can usually get the Pureone cheaper. Pureones use a different material for the gasket that is supposed to be more durable and/or seal better.

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
YEAH i'VE SEEN A FEW COMPARISONS AND THE PUROLATORS ARE ALWAYS #1, TOO BAD i CAN NEVER FIND ANY IN MY AREA
edit:annnd sorry for the caps
Advance? Kmart and Sears also have them.

Quick Reply: Low Profile Oil filter and why brand of Oil