LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rocker arms hitting valve cover? (not stock VC)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Rocker arms hitting valve cover? (not stock VC)

Anyone ever have this problem? I am running comp ultra pro mags and i have been huntin down some noises. Ive set my rockers twice now. They are LS7 lifters and i have the preload at 1/2 turn. This should be good right? (using arp 7/16th studs). Ive read some people going to 3/4 turn preload, but the noises im hearing i think are from the rocker arms hitting the valve covers near where they bolt to the head between the rocker arm.

I can go back and set to 3/4 turn and try again, i havent ran the car with the valve covers off since i reset them from 1/8th to 1/2 turn preload. I read that 1/8th was to little for ls7 lifters. and 3/8 - 3/4 should be good. Anyone have experience with this? should i set them to 1 turn like GM says to? Its getting annoying and i dont want to hurt the new parts that i just paid good money for.

Going from 1/8th to 1/2 preload helped a bit, maybe i just need to do like 7/8 turn and split the difference between 3/4 and 1.

The valve covers im running are off of ebay, another member on here is using them too i forget who. They are just the 70$ polished ones, they claim they are "tall" but they arnt any cantons. Its just odd where they are hitting, its the stud part of the valve cover that slips between the 2 rockers. Id like to get some opinions befor i get the cantons. I guess one way would be to just run them with the valve covers off?

Can anyone share what preload they are running for their LS7 lifters?
Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

i just had a thought, would old worn out reusable valve cover gaskets allow the valve cover to sit lower/closer to the rockers?
Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

VC gaskets, rubber, are reusable. At some point if they are dry, cracked they "may" compress enough to then have conflict with VC.....or your aftermarket VC's may be the issue.

RR do make more noise than the stamped stock rocker. Preload 1/4-1 turn is fine. Generally people lash at 1/2.

If you see a "witness" mark on the inside of the VC that would indicate where this contact is. Again maybe these ebay VC's are not "exactly" like other brands that don't have the problem.

I don't have the "ultra" but have "pro mags" on stock VC with the "trim" mod
Old 06-14-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

i deffinetly have marks, on the passenger side more then the drivers side, but there is one nice gash in the drivers side that i may take a picture of.

when revving the engine it sounds like a rod knock comming from under the valve cover lol. i suppose when i take it off to get the pictures ill just start it up and see whats up.

this is a recent build, it has less then 45 minutes total run time, probably less then 30 minutes total run time. I hear these noises, get worried and shut it off. I did read from whoever did that cc503 swap that it took his like 15 minutes to quiet down.

its just got me worried!

EDIT: Ok the good news is i just took the valve cover off and she is alot quieter! I got a vid and some pics. its odd.

Last edited by trilkb; 06-14-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

http://video.cardomain.com/VideoPlayer.aspx?id=2269040 there is the vid, camera still cant handle the noise

The close ups of the gashes arnt comming out well since the valve cover throws the flash back in the cameras face. I think what its hitting can be ground down though and i might be good to go. The passener side all 4 are gashed but only on the 1 side of the bolt hole, i thought maybe this happened putting the valve covers on, but im pretty sure its related to the noise im hearing. A grinder to that webbing might take care of the issue?

I know the pictures look like nothing, but in person the gashes are actually pretty deep, and its my 310$ rockers that are getting hurt as well lol.

Close Up

Area of valve cover

Close Up

Area of valve cover

Last edited by trilkb; 06-14-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Rocker arms hitting valve cover? (not stock VC)