LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Not my day, car wont start after disconnecting battery & TB bypass ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thoughts anyone?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Swap the ignition control module.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Update. No spark, I have fuel. Replaced ignition control module & the crank sensor. Was throwing p1371, code cleared and no others have come about yet. Suggestions? Have another buddy of a buddy coming by tomorrow but i still have no car to drive. On a unrelated note to this I happened to rent a cooling system tester from autozone to make sure my coolant sensor was holding, found a small leak here \/ (picture) \/ and saw it slowly draining back onto what ever plug that is? Could this have caused anything or just not related? This issue started after just doing a stupid TB bypass

Old 06-30-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think people are making this far more complicated than it needs to be. Being that you are new to these engines it's easy to become overwhelmed with misinformation. A bad crank sensor will NOT cause a no-start condition - it's only there to detect misfires. You could unplug it and the car would run just fine, just with an SES.

If it started and ran prior to the bypass, it's obviously something you unplugged, bumped, removed, or didn't put back properly. I'd immediately suspect the optispark harness being unplugged or not plugged in correctly, or it got wet. Pull it off, look at it, then look at the pins on the opti itself. If any are bent, bend them back. Make sure the sockets on the harness aren't collapsed or cocked. Do the same thing at the harness connection on the side of the intake manifold. If they are wet, spray contact cleaner on them to displace any moisture.

If it still doesn't start, grab a voltmeter and follow this diagnostic:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test

If you STILL can't get it I'll come look at it.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:05 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Agreed Joe. I said to re-plug all the plugs in post # 19.

OP, I think it's something you messed with, knowingly or not.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will try all that and after I saw this went out again, unplugged and checked opti harness. Checked coil and the newly replaced ignition module. Is there something further away from these areas I could have pulled hit stretched or anything ? Checked all the plugs and fuses I know it's gotta be something stupid & I'll have a third guy hopefully taking a
Look tomorrow. Thanks again guys.

Last edited by 02v8ta; 06-30-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Guess there's no other PART to check?

I'm not going to be able to get into it until after the 4th now I'll have a new harness then and the tools to do all the testing recommended to me here. It's gotta be something Immensely stupid
Old 07-01-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Its really not a good thing that coolant was dripping down onto the coil wire that plugs into the top of the opti.

I would test the ignition coil, how to do this i am unsure but i would google the **** out of "LT1 ignition coil test" and go from there.

If the coil is fine, then wouldnt it have to be the opti?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trilkb
Its really not a good thing that coolant was dripping down onto the coil wire that plugs into the top of the opti.

I would test the ignition coil, how to do this i am unsure but i would google the **** out of "LT1 ignition coil test" and go from there.

If the coil is fine, then wouldnt it have to be the opti?
Hmm i'm digging back into it tomorrow and hope to have a car again. Is it plausible the coolant leaked onto the coil plug (see the picture above) and fried the ignition coil? Or it doesn't work that way?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:50 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

There's two ways to troubleshoot your problem.

Follow wiring diagrams and using a multimeter, confirm you have power where you need it. This will lead you to the bad part.

OR purchase parts and change them one at a time until the car runs. This is the more expensive way to do it.

Quick Reply: Not my day, car wont start after disconnecting battery & TB bypass ?