LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Build my 1200 budget plz

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpack
I looked at it yesterday. We didn't open it up but is without a doubt a rod knock. Coming from #8. you can feel it through the intake. felt bad to give the news but we came up with some options for him. When he is ready I will yank it out for him and go from there. Once it gets torn open he can make choices depending on his budget. I was hoping it would be a simple fix and get him back going. I wouldn't ditch the car, it is a nice car and good starting point for him. Has lots of potential

Takes a hell of a guy to help out a total stranger !
Well at least he knows what his problem is now and sucks for him since he has barely driven it ! Good luck with the build sorry to hear its a rod
Old 07-08-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea thanks Jim for coming by and talked to corey today he said I am better off going with a 383, so when your ready we can pull it out and bring it to him. I am not a person that wants to ditch out on a car and would like to do swaps if possible but being married and having kids at young age makes it hard, But wife gave the green light to do it. I also see the potential in the car and will be prob going with the 383.

I am going to take pics of car now , to show the transformation it will be going through over the next year til next season.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Why not a 5.3/LS swap? You'll have more power than a stock LT and won't have the typical LT issues. 383 isn't exactly cheap.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing a swap isn't cheap either with what's involved. He will be getting a great deal on the new engine.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

the 383 i will be going with is only gonna run me like 100 dollar more than the 355 would unless I chose other options but this was recommended and will make more power for the money, so I belive it is worth it and this is only the bottom end so, if I do the 383 what will need to be done to the head. I was thinkin to take and get the stock ones ported slightly more, polished and getting a 5angle valve job
Old 07-09-2011, 06:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bizerk1
the 383 i will be going with is only gonna run me like 100 dollar more than the 355 would unless I chose other options but this was recommended and will make more power for the money, so I belive it is worth it and this is only the bottom end so, if I do the 383 what will need to be done to the head. I was thinkin to take and get the stock ones ported slightly more, polished and getting a 5angle valve job
There is/was a reason I hooked you up with Jim. He is a great guy to begin with, but he knows his stuff as well and isn't stingy with his knowledge or Mr. Crumudgeon with his tongue. Wise ears would listen to it
Old 07-09-2011, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bizerk1
wife gave the green light to do it.
prolly the last time she'll give you the green light too.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oChristiano
Why not a 5.3/LS swap? You'll have more power than a stock LT and won't have the typical LT issues. 383 isn't exactly cheap.
Full o chit
Old 07-09-2011, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tony, if you want the ports cleaned up and valve job, we have you covered locally. Best advice is to listen to what advice you are given by the engine builder. We will get the engine out and over to him. Once it is determined what you want to do, we will sit down and list out all the parts to go with. Then we can determine what your budget is and weed through the list of desires and what is realistic for your budget. Sometimes the desires exceed the budget and can get out of control fast. We will determine the absolute must haves for now, and what can be done later on down the road as your budget allows. It's the little things you forget about that nickel and dime you to death. One thing to consider is don't expect to pay retail for parts as the builder will get anything you need at a much better price. First thing first, let's get it out and over there and go from there. You can start making a wish list on paper bit try to be realistic. I will get with you soon and let you know my schedule and I will get some of the local guys over and get busy.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

I am ready to remove it when you are, and that sounds good to me, we can go over it all. I GATOR you are right about him knowing alot, I was listenin to him when he came by and learned alot just by talkin for about 30min or so. Thanks again Jim. Yea mite be last green light for the camaro but I am going to get some thigs I want it to have and that needs; Green light once until I get my supra, realistcly in about 7 years or so, but I still plan on having the camaro and will finish the rest when needed

Off topic question : posi track is there any performance gains to this, is it worth puttin in a 10bolt not that I am going to do this, I am just wondering. Our cars do not have posi stock right?

Last edited by bizerk1; 07-09-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They aren't one legged dogs
Old 07-09-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

that is what I thinkin b.c if theres two tires putting down the power it would end up being better or smoother
Old 07-09-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your car has a posi.... good to go until you kill the ten bolt. Start making more power and it is just a matter of time until it pops.