LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Clicking NO crank No start

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The battery tested good and it started when I put it in , so yea thanks they ended up like charging it for 45min. I am going to Post a vid in my other thread the build one about this ticking noise
Old 07-14-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

my starter only clicks once , new battery and fully chraged too , starter was taken out and tested and works fine , where to next , only one click if i hold the key and the battery is good so thats ruled out . Same issue i think as the op
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
my starter only clicks once , new battery and fully chraged too , starter was taken out and tested and works fine , where to next , only one click if i hold the key and the battery is good so thats ruled out . Same issue i think as the op
Dumb question, but can you crank the engine over by hand (ratchet and SIX POINT 5/8" socket on crank bolt).
Old 07-14-2011, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

If you battery and starter tested good, then it's time to look at cables or connections. Wiggle the connections and see if anything comes loose. See if the wires are corroded underneath the insulation by the battery. Also, check the ground connection at the block.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Oh yeah, make sure you dont have another component (bad door switch that leaves the dome light on all the time) draining the battery.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Dumb question, but can you crank the engine over by hand (ratchet and SIX POINT 5/8" socket on crank bolt).
yeah i tried that , didn't do much as i didn't think it would but .

Originally Posted by AlamoTA
If you battery and starter tested good, then it's time to look at cables or connections. Wiggle the connections and see if anything comes loose. See if the wires are corroded underneath the insulation by the battery. Also, check the ground connection at the block.

Problem got solved after lunch , it was a bad connection from the pos battery terminal , their is an aftermarket side post terminal where you lay the wire in and tighten two bolts and squish the wire . Bad connection there . It looks shitty enough that if i had more wire i would have cut it short but that wasn't an option so i cleaned it with baking soda and water . New side terminal piece and it works again

thanks for the help people , on a side note my voltage is much higher bc of the new battery . My 6yr old battery is crap .
Old 11-01-2018, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
yeah i tried that , didn't do much as i didn't think it would but .

Problem got solved after lunch , it was a bad connection from the pos battery terminal , their is an aftermarket side post terminal where you lay the wire in and tighten two bolts and squish the wire . Bad connection there . It looks shitty enough that if i had more wire i would have cut it short but that wasn't an option so i cleaned it with baking soda and water . New side terminal piece and it works again

thanks for the help people , on a side note my voltage is much higher bc of the new battery . My 6yr old battery is crap .
so I was having the same issue as this quoted post above me; new battery, new rebuilt starter, cleaned the wires and made sure all my grounds were good, and I still couldn’t get it to start or crank. But what’s odd is how i got her to kick, so in the first half of the quoted post above someone asked if the crankshaft was moveable, I decided I would check and see if mine was cause I was thinking at that point it could be a timing belt issue, so I rotated it to the right if you’re looking directly at the car then to the left and back to the right again for a few turns. I then went inside and tried to turn her on. To my surprised my starter attempted to crank my engine but it was VERY faint almost as if it has no power then I tried once more while giving it some gas and she turned on! I have no really clue as to what could have actually fixed this but I’m glad my car is back up hope this bit of my story helps.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:39 PM

Default this bit of advice waswhat helped me.

Originally Posted by SS RRR
what made you ask if it was crankabke by hand? Doing that to my camaro was what helped get the starter to actually engage and turn on the car

Quick Reply: Clicking NO crank No start