LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My blinker doesn't work sometimes so i'm going to buy an opti

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My blinker doesn't work sometimes so i'm going to buy an opti

JUST KIDDING!!! But you're reading this now. My car recently would not start up. Ended up replacing crank sensor, ignition module, coil and the opti harness and it started! It will run for 10-15 minutes on first cold start up before dying, after that wont start up. After sitting for a few minutes, it will start for a few seconds. After sitting for awhile it will start for a few minutes. I have fuel. My buddy hooked up a pulse checker? blinking light and we tested spark at the same time. Both the pulses and spark cut out at the same time and engine dies. Due to the lack of response from another post of mine we (after checking with a 3rd buddy) are going to replace the cap,rotor, distributor and wire set. Throwing a code p1371 distributor ignition low resolution i believe.

Am I on the right track or no?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try fresh blinker fluid too
Old 07-06-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No matter what the problem is with your 93-97 LT1, if it wont start, misses, down on power, has bad brakes, pulls to the right, window wont roll up, t-tops leak, girlfriend left you... its the opti spark. Just change it. If it dosent fix it, youve got a dud. Change it again until you get a good one. Sometimes it takes a few, but eventually you should get one that will at least last 6 months.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Teching In

I had that same problem with my 96 T/A, it would shut off and i had to wait a while to restart, changed out everything that I thought it may be and 2 opti sparks, because i didn't put the first new one back on when i thought i had put it on wrong new fuel pump, relay, coil and it ended up being the Crank Position sensor, which when it went back it sent full volts back through the system and fried a few fuses. also I couldn't get one of the pulley bolts back in straight son the shop had to re-tap the threads and to get it running again cost me $1100.00 plus all that i had spent trying to troubleshoot it myself.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Try fresh blinker fluid too
Full synthetic baby

Originally Posted by wrd1972
No matter what the problem is with your 93-97 LT1, if it wont start, misses, down on power, has bad brakes, pulls to the right, window wont roll up, t-tops leak, girlfriend left you... its the opti spark. Just change it. If it dosent fix it, youve got a dud. Change it again until you get a good one. Sometimes it takes a few, but eventually you should get one that will at least last 6 months.
Yeah, i'll update tomorrow with the replacement.

Originally Posted by MRBIGGDADDYWIGGS
I had that same problem with my 96 T/A, it would shut off and i had to wait a while to restart, changed out everything that I thought it may be and 2 opti sparks, because i didn't put the first new one back on when i thought i had put it on wrong new fuel pump, relay, coil and it ended up being the Crank Position sensor, which when it went back it sent full volts back through the system and fried a few fuses. also I couldn't get one of the pulley bolts back in straight son the shop had to re-tap the threads and to get it running again cost me $1100.00 plus all that i had spent trying to troubleshoot it myself.
Damn, I do have a new crank sensor in it but I was under the thought that would do nothing but throw a code?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its lt1 for god sake
Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at the ignition switch on the steering column to see if its burnt up. This is a very common and overlooked issue with alot of lt1 fbodys! Mine would start when it wanted to and then wouldnt start for the life of it. New opti, coil, module, etc still couldnt get it run properly. Checked the ignition switch and it was fried. Would only get a decent contact when it wanted to causing it to start when it wanted and even when started it still wouldnt run smooth without misfires.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:14 AM
TECH Resident

How do I check for that. Under the dash in the car ?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

After some more digging now that i'm home looks like i need to drop the steering wheel and i'll see it? I have a question, what would cause that to burn up, just from being old and used or is it some design flaw? Would this also possibly cause my problems. If it isn't the opti i'll be pissed.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

the low res code is an opti issue...........get a gm unit and pop an msd cap and rotor on it and call it a day........dont waste ur money on the msd billet unit or the accel crap........GM is the best one out there
Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
the low res code is an opti issue...........get a gm unit and pop an msd cap and rotor on it and call it a day........dont waste ur money on the msd billet unit or the accel crap........GM is the best one out there
Yeah, but you're talking $350+ for the AC Delco and another $150 for the MSD cap and rotor. Not too cost effective. I say he keeps things simple and just goes with the AC Delco opti complete.

Just sayin' Mikey.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Yeah, but you're talking $350+ for the AC Delco and another $150 for the MSD cap and rotor. Not too cost effective. I say he keeps things simple and just goes with the AC Delco opti complete.

Just sayin' Mikey.
lolyea thats a good option too........theres nothing wrong with the gm stuff......

Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

also for a better idea, hook up to the ecm. watch and see if its cutting off when its going into closed loop operation. by the way your describing your issue, it sounds like that closed loop operation is a issue. that can lead back to a few different sensors but like the other gents said "the low res code is an opti issue" . so deal with that first.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Opti replaced and she hasn't died yet!!!! Wooooo
Old 07-08-2011, 06:44 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If your LT1 car died, your blinkers probably don't need blinker fluid. Jeeze guys, trouble shoot you car the right way! OBVIOUSLY you need Opti fluid:
Old 07-08-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

lol nice
Old 07-08-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paul bell
if your lt1 car died, your blinkers probably don't need blinker fluid. Jeeze guys, trouble shoot you car the right way! Obviously you need opti fluid:
lmmfao
Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
If your LT1 car died, your blinkers probably don't need blinker fluid. Jeeze guys, trouble shoot you car the right way! OBVIOUSLY you need Opti fluid:
does it need friction modifier as well

Quick Reply: My blinker doesn't work sometimes so i'm going to buy an opti