LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

The Journey begins

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Journey begins

Okay well I just shipped off a well spent 1500 dollars for my le2 / intake work to be done from the genius Lloyd Elliot. And my first plan was to build a forged rod/piston 355 with all arp hardware .....now I'm looking thinking hell for 600 more dollars I can have a fully forged 383 .....now I'm stuck. Obviously the 383 is at advantage for the torque . Any of you guys have this delema and go the 383 route ? Happy ? Or the other way around anyone do the 383 but didn't think it was worth it ? Also will the gm847 have any clearance issues ? I read in some research to use cap screw rod bolts because how big the cam is . I just need opinions . Money is a huge issue I'm figuring 6 k on this build . Also any input is appreciated . Thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same dilemma. I was originally planning on a 355 build with LE heads, but in came the "might as well" mentality. I upgraded to AI ported stock castings, a 383 bottom end, and look what happened. The best part is it was only marginally more expensive than a 355 - maybe a few hundred bucks - and it has 50HP more than most other 355 combos. If you can swing it, DO IT.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Haha ill give you a quick explanation of my situation and then you will understand . I have the privilege of being in a once in a lifetime situation.... basically I'm 24 ..... the woman is 37..... I get her whole garage to myself ...free rent and utilities .... now I work a decent job so if the 383 is a noticeable power difference and is worth the extra dough then Damn right I'm going with it Haha
Old 07-08-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's not so much the 383, it's the heads/valvetrain the added displacement allows you to use without consequence.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Well I think le2s with a gm847 (dont bash please I like top end power ) with intake ported ,1.6 rockers will do decently . This is a block build up . I'm not going cheap but I'm not throwing 10 k at it either
Old 07-08-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

What kinda HP/ET goals are you going for? It's been proven time and time again that if you have a matched combo spec'd for what YOU want the car to do, the numbers will show themselves. Piecing a typical off-the-shelf combo together piece by piece usually doesn't yield impressive numbers. If you're not out to set the world on fire, that'll work fine. But look elsewhere if you want bigger numbers for not much more $$$.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I had the same dilemma. I was originally planning on a 355 build with LE heads, but in came the "might as well" mentality. I upgraded to AI ported stock castings, a 383 bottom end, and look what happened. The best part is it was only marginally more expensive than a 355 - maybe a few hundred bucks - and it has 50HP more than most other 355 combos. If you can swing it, DO IT.
LOL me too! I blew up my stock motor so I figure might as well upgrade to something that will handle some abuse...I'm picking up an all forged 383 shortblock this weekend from a fellow forum member who has done all the work for me selecting parts and machine work What can I say; I'm lazy as hell! Ai is local for me (less than 30 mins away) and seem very reputable so I figure they are the logical choice as far as head porting goes. Can't wait to feel the car with the all the extra torque once it's done. Seems almost silly not to upgrade the bottom end to 383-396 if you asked me...especially with all the LS powered cars, new 5.0 mustangs, and 392 Hemis running around now with substantial horsepower advantages over a 350 LT1. I certainly don't want to get spanked by some stock mustang/challenger/camaro. Should be fun to surprise (and humiliate) some vettes, turbo ricers and the newer muscle cars with my "old school" boat anchor LT1 Go big or go home I say!
Old 07-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Teching In

I understand what you mean as for the cam honestly that's just what I have in mind once the shortblock is being put together I'm going to call up Lloyd and see if they can get me a nice custom grind . If your referring to my heads .... honestly I just don't see the justification in dropping another 1000 for trick flows or afr then have them ported . I think the le2s are a great head and I see guys in high tens with them on a 383 . That to me IMHO is good enough for me . I just wanted to know if people were happy when they decided to make that jump to 383 . I would like about 450 rwhp N/A .
Old 07-08-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Okay, I'll just spell it out for you then, since you don't get it...

You won't get 450whp with a set of LE2s and an 847. Try and find a combo like that on this page - you won't find it. If you want 450whp, have your stock heads ported by AI (you do know they port stock castings, right?), let them match you a CUSTOM cam designed to be used for their heads, get all the bolt-ons and tuning and you'll get your 450whp figure. There's no need to reinvent the wheel here - it's been done before. Find someone who has been there-done that and use that as emulation/inspiration.

LE2s are nice if you're on a budget, but if you're planning on sticking with stock castings and want the best results for only a few hundred bucks more (plus a free custom grind cam) go with AI.

Yes, I'm an AI nuthugger. At least I have something to show for it.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Ok.... so you believe no one has got over 450 rwhp with a GM847 and le2 383 ? If I wasn't using my phone I would post numerous links to simply smack your face . Honestly please just stop while your ahead . I posted this to get opinions from people about there shortblock choice. If you don't have anything to say but bag on my head cam choice please refrain . I usually don't post too much on this website because of the bashing . I prefer Lloyd Elliot as do a lot of people . Go advertise over advanced inductions elsewhere
Old 07-08-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmmmm...judging from my research...

381whp.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...o-numbers.html

Even LE himself doesn't see it happening...

410whp with a custom grind cam, arguably more superior than the 847.

http://elliottsportworks.com/?page_id=53

I'm not trying to bash your decisions here, but your goals with your selected heads/cam won't cut it. Experience > speculation.

And your bottom end question has been answered. Go with the 383 now. At least when your goals aren't met and you choose to go in a different direction the bottom end will be ready for it.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Hahaha you jackass ..... those are his website numbers ......you know what I'm not even going to bother with you . Just shut your mouth . You keep going to the head / cam setup . I'm not asking for your opinion . And to show your dumbass proof I called AI about a month ago.... I was on hold for 15 minutes then got Hung up on.... which happened three additional times . Lloyd answered first call no problems in addition to numerous emails back and forth . Go preach your bullshit opinions elsewhere .

Now if anyone else has ran a 383 I'm trying to decide on what timing chain . My builder is recommending a double chain . Is there a benefit over the single ? I also know they sell the adjustable set . Is there anything I would need to run the adjustable ?
Old 07-08-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, you sure told me! Don't bother with me, because you can't quantify your research. Been doing this a long time chief - just trying to help you out.

Cloyes 3145 is a good double roller - I've used them on several builds. Just trim the timing cover and run an electric water pump and you're good to go. It's also inexpensive, under $100 (compared to a stock one which is $130+).

Adjustable sets offer nothing in terms of USEFUL adjustability on an LT1 since everything is electronically controlled. On more than one occasion some LT1 owners who have chosen the adjustable set screwed up the install and had timing issues. They add an unnecessary degree of complexity which you certainly don't need.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can let you know soon, as I have a very similar new combo with an all forged bottom end, LE3 heads and an 847 cam. When I spoke to Lloyd about my cam I had a chance to get a LE4 cam and Lloyd recomended I stick with my 847 cam because it has better drivability over the LE4 and would work better for my purposes. I'm not sure what rwhp/rwtq numbers I'll make but once my combo is tuned I'll see. Here are some pics of my new setup, enjoy, build the forged 383 you won't regret it.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG00013.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG00013.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...1Engine022.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...1Engine021.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...1Engine020.jpg