LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

355 LE2 build pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by food nd cars
I've probably checked PR length a dozen times in a row and I keep getting the stock length as the proper length... I was assuming the correct PR length was going to be 7.100-7.150.. but I keep getting the best sweep pattern with 7.2 stockers..

What do you guys think? block has been slightly decked, using .039 head gasket.. I really want to order the PR tomorrow morning.

This is from my old thread on how I checked my PR length when I did my cam swap...

I set my pushrod length checker at the stock height of 7.200" and installed it with the roller rocker and weaker spring from Ace hardare. I could only install one side of the retainer to fit the checker in there.

I marked the top of the valve stem with a green highlighter. I then placed the rocker arm on the stud. I twisted the pushrod checker in my fingers while tightening down the rocker arm bolt. When the pushrod checker was no longer able to move I tightened the nut an additional half turn then tightened down the retainer.

I then turned the crank over by hand about four times while watching the timing mark.

I then removed the rocker arm to see where the wear pattern was on the valve stem. It was more toward the exhaust side indicating that the pushrod length was too long. I kept shortening the pushrod length checker and repeating the process until the wear patter was in the middle.

This was what the wear looked like the last time I did it. I checked the pushrod length checker tool length by measuring it with a digital caliper.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 94maro
so why didnt u send ur intake when u got ur le heads and cam? just was wondering if ur gunna do the heads and a cam why not do ur intake also?

looking great so far
trust me I thought about it but I decided to save the money and just clean it up myself. Don't think there would be much to gain from a ported intake at my power level.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Launching!

trust me I thought about it but I decided to save the money and just clean it up myself. Don't think there would be much to gain from a ported intake at my power level.
everything helps..lol btw what rwhp u shooting for?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 94maro
everything helps..lol btw what rwhp u shooting for?
Honestly I just want it to be strong and not give me anymore major problems.. It would be really nice to be in the 380-400s though
Old 07-20-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

UPDATE: motor and tranny back in the car!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Regular

damn this thing is ugly when you get everything back on

Its all good though ugly and fast is fine with me

Pictures before me and my buddies dropped the car onto the motor and tranny.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its all good though ugly and fast is fine with me
I've been saying this forever, glad some one else thinks so. Nice build!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:12 AM
Launching!

very nice
Old 07-21-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Regular

So heres the plan.. When I get my TB which is the last part I am waiting on, I am going to pull some fuses (idk which ones yet..) and crank it over until I get some oil pressure (using Joe Gibbs break in oil). I'm then going to start it up and let it run for about 15 mins and look for any leaks etc. I'm then going to replace the oil filter, yes just the oil filter, then take it for a spin maybe for about 50 miles. Come back and change the oil, still using joe gibbs break in oil, and then run it for about 500 miles. Then at this point im going to switch over to Mobil 1 synthetic oil 5-W30.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Should i be fine pulling just the PCM fuse from the box or should i pull the injector fuses also?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you are going a little overboard on the break in but hey better safe then sorry. I pulled an injector plug so it wouldnt fire and let it build oil pressure. Started it up and let it run for about 10 mins checked for leaks and getting it to op temps then shut it down. Let it cool down for a bit then took it for a drive and put about 50k on it then changed the oil and then again 500.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a shame to see people using the wrong method to prime the oil system. You should have primed it with the manifold off using a priming tool.

The Joe Gibbs stuff is overkill - unnecessary for a hydraulic roller. Any conventional 5-30 is ideal.

Also, don't let the car idle for too long. Once you've verified that there are no leaks and the car has reached operating temperature, take the car for a drive and do some 1/2 to 3/4 throttle blips to help get the rings to seat. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Do not hesitate to get on it.

My builder suggested that I put 500 miles on the engine before switching to synthetic.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
It's a shame to see people using the wrong method to prime the oil system. You should have primed it with the manifold off using a priming tool.

The Joe Gibbs stuff is overkill - unnecessary for a hydraulic roller. Any conventional 5-30 is ideal.

Also, don't let the car idle for too long. Once you've verified that there are no leaks and the car has reached operating temperature, take the car for a drive and do some 1/2 to 3/4 throttle blips to help get the rings to seat. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Do not hesitate to get on it.

My builder suggested that I put 500 miles on the engine before switching to synthetic.
Trust me I wanted to do it that way, but the car would be sitting for a good week before it got started up. I just want to make sure that there is oil pressure before I start it up. I know I'm going a little overboard with the Joe Gibbs but I don't know which conventional oil to use.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A week sitting primed won't hurt. A normal car engine maintains it's prime when you shut it off. Manually priming the oil system is the same thing.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with ramair. Seating the rings is very improtant, if you don't do it right the first time you are screwed, ask me how I know

Start it, verify there are no leaks, take it for a drive. Do some little 1/2 throttle pulls to 3k rpms, let off and let the motor slow you down don't push in the clutch and coast. Do a few of those, 3 or 4 then do some 1/2 throttle pulls to 4k rpms and let the motor slow you down like said above. Now get into it a bit harder, 3/4 throttle to 5k rpms and let the motor slow you down. Now WOT and you should be good. Be sure to keep an eye on your temps and oil pressure during the whole process.

Thats how I break in my motors and have good luck doing that process, but I live out in the middle of nowhere and can get away with doing pulls and slowing down as I please.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

ITS ALIVE!!! sorry no vids tonite.. I think my neighbors have had enough. will post some videos tomorrow!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:50 AM
Launching!

very nice now go to the dyno and get it tuned..lol well after ur break in i guess
Old 07-27-2011, 02:16 AM
TECH Regular

Why use reg oil to break in the build and not synth right away?.... Im j.w
Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bizerk1
Why use reg oil to break in the build and not synth right away?.... Im j.w

You want the rings to seat with the piston walls. Dino oil will let them smooth everything off a bit to get a tighter seal. Then change the oil to get rid of any junk (machine shop filings, bits of dirt from the build etc.). After the first couple of oil changes run a synthetic. You get a really nice tight seal that way.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

yeah buddy

Old 07-28-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good.

Quick Reply: 355 LE2 build pictures!