LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How bad is it to drive at high RPM's all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a deer collide with me at 45 MPH, and it tore the car (my wife's Jag XJ8) pretty good. I cannot imagine what it would do at 130 MPH....PLUS the carnage you and your car would create, as you continued careening and/or flipping down the road, after you lost control....and YOU WILL lose control!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You are really showing how ******* stupid you are.

There are 8 million miles of public roads (interstates and local) in the US. The Autobahn is 7000 miles long. Of course there's going to be more fatalities you stooge. And if you think that EVERYONE on the Autobahn drives 130mph you're a complete ******* tool.

I should have been taught by a German? You **** ********. You're the biggest hypocrite I've ever met.

Alright you make a valid point. And I hope I didnt hurt your feelings. What I said was pretty ignorant but I stop bashing me for hitting 130 for a little bit. Its a thrill. Its better then hitting the pipe. What would kill more people? Doing heroin or livin life at 130mph? Excuse me of making an *** out of myself, but nothing wrong with doing stupid young kid ****. Im not a morman so accept the fact that a young driver is going to be doing things that are illegal! And most accidents happen under the influence. Going 130mph for alittle bit is one thing but doing that under the influence is a whole different story!!

Last edited by 93Euphoria; 09-28-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Launching!

All said and done, there's a time and a place.. Broad daylight with miles of open road, go ahead, just be careful.. Late at night ripping througb traffic, now that's another story

Personally, my biggest fear when I'm nearing 100 Is a blow out because at that speed there's virtually nothing you can do to prevent a very tragic wreck..

To each his own, just be somewhat sensible
Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I'd much rather have to deal with someone driving fast than most fucksticks who use public roads today who fully believe chicken pecking on a phone is far more important than the task at hand. Look at the stats. "Speed kills" is bullshit. Inattentiveness is by far the number one cause of fatal wrecks.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

speaking as a citizen of the United States, people from our country are generally horrible drivers when compared to any other first-world nation.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94nismoformula
speaking as a citizen of the United States, people from our country are generally horrible drivers when compared to any other first-world nation.
Yes this is all I was trying to point out. I love america and im american but sometimes I am embarrassed at some of the things happen psychologically in this country. like slow *** idiots sitting in the left lane. Its a law in a lot of countries that you have to move to the right lane when a car behind you is going faster. The education that drivers get in Germany is way more advance as opposed to america's "when you see a stop sign stop" We can save lives if we educate on building certain instincts when it comes to driving. And no im not talking about "experience" Im talking about Logic on real defensive driving.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
Yes this is all I was trying to point out. I love america and im american but sometimes I am embarrassed at some of the things happen psychologically in this country. Like slow *** idiots sitting in the left lane. Its a law in a lot of countries that you have to move to the right lane when a car behind you is going faster. The education that drivers get in Germany is way more advance as opposed to america's "when you see a stop sign stop" We can save lives if we educate on building certain instincts when it comes to driving. And no im not talking about "experience" Im talking about Logic on real defensive driving.
I understand your point, but first, in order for the slower driver to move to the right, they'd have to get off their cell phone and pay attention to their surroundings, and realize that they were indeed holding up traffic. THEN, they'd have to get over the "me first, I have the RIGHT to block this lane" mentality that has taken over this country.....
Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

OP, just count on a failure running your motor like that. I sorta know where you are coming from tho. I love running 100+ MPH. I have run a sustained 145 MPH for quite a distance. High rates of speed and hearing my motor scream makes me feel alive.......but I also have full realization that my driveline's days are numbered by doing that. Then I get to be one of those "MY LS BLEW UP LAST NIGHT,NOW IT'S GETTING A FORGED 10 SLICE TOASTER INSTALLED INTO IT" thread starters. It's all part of the game......the "DOERS and the "THINKERS"
Hell, I get in my Z and suddenly the Indy 500 started, but no one but me has realized it.....
Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It is a law in my state to yield the left hand lane to faster traffic. I don't have to live in Germany.

You bring up all the idiots on the road and you still defend driving 130 MPH at night? You constantly cite reasons not to do what you do.

You don't need a law to use common sense. When you are no longer a "stupid young kid", you might understand.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Too each his own......caution should always be a factor. I did buy my car to REALLY drive. I DO NOT endanger anyone but myself when and where I do it. Having endless desert highway handy is a plus. As was said earlier, a person who plays with a cell phone continuously may be far more dangerous than someone who is overly enjoying their car.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Insano Z28
Having endless desert highway handy is a plus.
Yeah I can see where people can go apeshit crazy whenever they read on the internet how someone drives fast. I love the desert for this very reason. You can see roads for miles on end and even if you are doing 120+ it feels like cruising at highway speeds. I took a road trip to California when my car was new and took full advantage of that. When I lived in TX I remember saying my average speed while driving on freeways was 75 to 85mph. People on the east coast went nuts saying "BERGERD!!! U GONNA KILL SOMEONE1111." Now that I live in the east coast I fully understand why they said that. It ******* sucks out here when it comes to roads and traffic.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Yeah I can see where people can go apeshit crazy whenever they read on the internet how someone drives fast. I love the desert for this very reason. You can see roads for miles on end and even if you are doing 120+ it feels like cruising at highway speeds. I took a road trip to California when my car was new and took full advantage of that. When I lived in TX I remember saying my average speed while driving on freeways was 75 to 85mph. People on the east coast went nuts saying "BERGERD!!! U GONNA KILL SOMEONE1111." Now that I live in the east coast I fully understand why they said that. It ******* sucks out here when it comes to roads and traffic.
This is all I was implying. For all these guys bashing me lol. I dont endanger anybody but myself. Weeving in and out of traffic is way worse then opening the throttle to 130 for a bit with no traffic. You never know what is going to happen when you drive. But Its the not knowing part going 130 part that is a thrill. Danger is fun when your young. Im sure we can all agree on that in one time or not in life. I mean who doesnt want to know what it feels like going way way way way over the speed limit? Its an instant rush. Just like drag racing. Yes im young, dumb and full of *** but I can only grow by failing, doing and realizing what I did wrong but still having a rational mind about it! When I do break the law once in a while im never under the influence. You young people are liers if you said you wouldnt ever think about going 100mph when the coast is clear. We drive GM sports cars for christ sake they were made for the thrill of speed. Not to be driven like a honda civic.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please STFU and go get you jollies and justify it any way you like. If you manage to outlive your stupid younger years, the shoe will likely be on the other foot down the road and you will look back and say just like most of us did, that was just senseless stupidity that should never be justified.

Last edited by wrd1972; 10-01-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
You young people are liers if you said you wouldnt ever think about going 100mph when the coast is clear.
What's funny about this is every one member, who has posted in this thread, who wants to play moral police has done stupid **** while driving when they were young and even now. To borrow a modified line from Louis CK, "There are two types of people in the world- Those who do dumb **** while driving and ******' liars." Usually those who believe they are a good driver are the ones who do bad and don't even realize it, one being messing with a cell phone while aimlessly weaving in and out of lanes. Another classic is squatting in the left lane and getting butt hurt when someone tail gates them. Their excuse? "I was going 10mph over the speed limit! That's plenty fast!"
Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's funny about this is every one member, who has posted in this thread, who wants to play moral police has done stupid **** while driving when they were young and even now. To borrow a modified line from Louis CK, "There are two types of people in the world- Those who do dumb **** while driving and ******' liars." Usually those who believe they are a good driver are the ones who do bad and don't even realize it, one being messing with a cell phone while aimlessly weaving in and out of lanes. Another classic is squatting in the left lane and getting butt hurt when someone tail gates them. Their excuse? "I was going 10mph over the speed limit! That's plenty fast!"
While I may have done some dumb **** while I was younger I quickly realized that retarded speeding will get you killed. Get in a real drag car and then driving like an idiot on the road just seems dangerous and stupid. I would have to say my 68 drag Camaro pretty much cured my speeding.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by fex77k
... driving like an idiot on the road just seems dangerous and stupid.
With the way people drive today, that statement is open to interpretation. I see people who are not speeding, driving like idiots. I am 42 and I openly admit I drive like an idiot sometimes. I see it every day in my 90 mile round trip commute. The ordinary average joes in their ordinary average cars are driving like a complete buffoons. We all do. We may not speed excessively, but we sure do other dumb **** that can lead to just as devastating consequences as speeding, and we're all pointing the finger at each other saying how it's always the other guy who's the problem. Anyone who denies this is a "******' liar."
Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the way people drive today, that statement is open to interpretation. I see people who are not speeding, driving like idiots. I am 42 and I openly admit I drive like an idiot sometimes. I see it every day in my 90 mile round trip commute. The ordinary average joes in their ordinary average cars are driving like a complete buffoons. We all do. We may not speed excessively, but we sure do other dumb **** that can lead to just as devastating consequences as speeding, and we're all pointing the finger at each other saying how it's always the other guy who's the problem. Anyone who denies this is a "******' liar."
I have to drive defensively in my area, I've been put into the median twice on the highway once with my race car on the trailer because of dumb ***** on their phone swerving left into my lane. I think most people shouldn't have cell phones let alone cars but that is another story.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Young, stupid people can benefit from the sage wisdom of their elders. If you can get an immature person to at least recognize the consequences of their actions, then maybe you have saved their life or the lives of others. Bragging about your stupidity only encourages the stupidity of others. And no doubt, everyone was once young and stupid.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Please STFU and go get you jollies and justify it any way you like. If you manage to outlive your stupid younger years, the shoe will likely be on the other foot down the road and you will look back and say just like most of us did, that was just senseless stupidity that should never be justified.

Lol I think Ive seen you post this pic before. But to the original post question high rpms (3-5500rpms) for long periods of time is no problem when you have good oil pressure, Synthetic oil, and a good cooling system, Spark plugs, belts, hoses. Going any faster then the designed engine speed is going to break things. the only thing youll really break is your pocket.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'm lucky to be alive after doing this many many times. :/ Bunch of hypocrites in this thread.

http://youtu.be/esd5xDbghVc

Quick Reply: How bad is it to drive at high RPM's all the time?