LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

An Coolant Crossover Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Think about what you just said. They're already straight, you think running a tapered tap down them is going to make them tapered?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The pipe tap cuts and removes metal from the outermost threads on the head giving the fitting more threads to compress and seal, so you're opening up the threads from the outside - in.

Imagine a perfectly round hole. Now put a cone in that hole, upside down, to plug it. There is only a very small amount of material between the two surfaces sealing it.

Now take the same hole and chamfer the edges slightly, then put the cone in. There's far more surface area to do the sealing. That's the premise behind NPT threads - the more thread engagement, the tighter the seal.

Basic plumbing.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right, that's tapping the hole deeper instead of just running the tap in. I agree
Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok I know it replaces the steam pipe/banjo bolts, but still why do it? I was able to get new banjo bolts at the local stealership.

Not knocking it, looks good and way better than stock - just does it have any particular "benefit"?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
Ok I know it replaces the steam pipe/banjo bolts, but still why do it? I was able to get new banjo bolts at the local stealership.

Not knocking it, looks good and way better than stock - just does it have any particular "benefit"?
Not particularly. Most people do it because the stock tube gets bent up, lose the bolts or seals, strip the heads, etc., and the cost of this conversion is cheaper than all of the replacement OEM parts.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Nice, I had to go the cheap route and use brass fittings from lowes. Cost about $6 to finish but hell, its the back of the engine. No one will see haha
I hope you guys are still seeing alerts to this old thread...

I'm curious, it's easy enough to get a brass fitting with 1/4 npt on one end, but what are you going to? I'm guessing a 90* el with 1/4 npt on one end and ? on the other and then to a hose barb somehow? I considered 1/4" npt 90 with a compression fitting on the other side and using some hard line...

Quick Reply: An Coolant Crossover Conversion