LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Manual Fan Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Fan Switch

I have a 96 Formula A4 that I bought a year ago for 600 bucks. The fans were not coming on so I decided to test them out and they both turned on good and squeak very little at first. I then decided to try out the manual fan switch with led lights on shbox's website http://shbox.com/1/fan_sw_diagram2.jpg and to my surprise it worked but only for the high setting. My problem is that when I go to turn on the low I do see the led light turn on but the fan itself does not come on. The good thing is that the high setting works good and both lights turn on. I have not tried looking for an answer since I really wouldn't know where to begin so can someone lead me in the right direction. Thanx in advance

Jorge
Old 07-19-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

If the fans work but don't kick on when they should it could be a bad relay or fuse, have you checked them? If you don't have one already pick up a Haynes repair book for the 93-97's, only $15 and well worth the money.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

dunno why people mess with the rad fans on these cars so much. Mine had them wired with 18ga into the ign fuse, after it melted the fuse panel and blew the fuse while on a 2 lane road with no shoulder i rewired them to the factory fan harness, both turned on and worked exactly like they should. Stupid F'n hillbillies.

Anyways yea what he said, i think you can even switch your relays just to check that they work, but that could be either a lincoln LS or a Lexus es300 that im thinking of lol. get my cars confused
Old 07-19-2011, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
dunno why people mess with the rad fans on these cars so much.
Some people dont understand the function of a Relay.

Then again there is a bunch of these cars that the fans stop working..my 95 did.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Well I jus did it as a way to get the fans goin for now I didnt see any harm in it since they didnt work in the first place. I will check all fuses and relays first.