LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch?

Which clutch kit and flywheel would you recommend for an average LT1 camaro? I plan on doing basic bolt on mods later down the road but nothing major. I was looking at the RAM Powergrip. I've done a search and couldn't come up with much (let alone recent threads).

Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sc.schultz
Which clutch kit and flywheel would you recommend for an average LT1 camaro? I plan on doing basic bolt on mods later down the road but nothing major. I was looking at the RAM Powergrip. I've done a search and couldn't come up with much (let alone recent threads).

Thanks
IMO the powergrip is too much. Look into CCI (competition clutch) they have really good prices and make a great product. I have their CCI stage 2.5 with the stock flywheel and it grips hard even on the spray. Or if you're doing minor bolt-ons just go with a stock replacement.

Is this a daily driver, or are you dumping the clutch at the track every weekend?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

This is a daily/weekend driver. I don't ever plan on taking it to the track honestly, but I want to know the clutch can take some abuse every now and then. Honestly I don't ever see myself building over 450 hp any time soon.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my powergrip HD. I have over 20k on mine so far and it drives great with no chatter. It's probably overkill for a bolt-on car but you can't go wrong with it IMO.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

This is a daily/weekend driver. I don't ever plan on taking it to the track honestly, but I want to know the clutch can take some abuse every now and then. Honestly I don't ever see myself building over 450 hp any time soon.
Sounds like all you need is a regular organic or kevlar full-faced disk, nothing with pucks.

Get one of those types of clutches from CC, Spec, Ram etc and you'll still have the smooth engagement of a stock organic clutch, but it will have a grippier, sportier feel.

I've run organic and kevlar Spec (Stage1 and 2) clutches in my Trans Am, and I recently installed an organic CC Stage 1.5 in my girlfriends RSX Type-S. All three clutches are great, no complaints.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

For those with the Powergrip, does it chatter on take off?
Where would you guys recommend ordering one from (price wise)?

CC's website is confusing. Their clutch and flywheel kits seem to only be for LS1s & their domestic rwd page isn't very easy to read.

Basically I'm looking for a sportier clutch for basic bolt ons. Something that will last.

Last edited by sc.schultz; 08-03-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

For those with the Powergrip, does it chatter on take off?
Where would you guys recommend ordering one from (price wise)?

CC's website is confusing. Their clutch and flywheel kits seem to only be for LS1s & their domestic rwd page isn't very easy to read.

Basically I'm looking for a sportier clutch for basic bolt ons. Something that will last.
CC's doesn't chatter and is smooth as can be.
Their website is too confusing? are you retarded? give them a call
Old 08-03-2011, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Derp I was looking at their product page. Just noticed you can go to their store and enter your vehicle. So I'm looking at this clutch:

http://competitionclutch.com/store/d...hp?vinvid=6858

Seems reasonable for my needs and not too expensive. As far as flywheel goes (CC doesn't sell them for LT1s), you think a RAM billet steel one is suffice?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Derp I was looking at their product page. Just noticed you can go to their store and enter your vehicle. So I'm looking at this clutch:

http://competitionclutch.com/store/d...hp?vinvid=6858

Seems reasonable for my needs and not too expensive. As far as flywheel goes (CC doesn't sell them for LT1s), you think a RAM billet steel one is suffice?
Get your stock flywheel resurfaced. Machine shop can do that for you.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from the ZOOM kevlar clutch. I've had it in mine for a while now and it's just terrible.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blakez28
Get your stock flywheel resurfaced. Machine shop can do that for you.
Don't I need a billet flywheel if the material is other than organic (brass plus/cerametallic)?

Quick Reply: Clutch?