LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 F-body Pacesetter LTs install w/o removing starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT1 F-body Pacesetter LTs install w/o removing starter

Everywhere I looked online about how to install Pacesetter LTs on a LT1 F-body, it always said that you have to remove the starter when installing the passenger side header from underneath the car. I beg to differ on that. I didn't remove my starter when I installed mine on my 93 Z28. The only thing that I ran into that was a problem with passenger side header was the oil dipstick tube. Removing the oil dipstick tube was a bit of a pain to get off, but once I got it off, the header went up into place with no problem. I reccommend to whoever is going to install Pacesetter LTs, don't remove the starter, even though everyone says to remove it. Just go and remove the oil dipstick tube. After that is removed, the header goes up easy from underneath on the passenger side, but don't forget to reinstall the dipstick tube after you are all done.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

cool...
Old 08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very cool, i'm getting a 95 Formula shortly and I believe LT's and exhaust will probably be my first mods
Old 08-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Installing the headers were easy after I removed the oil dipstick tube. The headers fit and look great. Now I'm working on cutting my old y-pipe off so I can connect my new pacesetter y-pipe to the rest of my exhaust. I'm just trying to find something that will cut my old pipe easy without taking hours just to cut it by hand with a hacksaw. I don't even know why people say to remove the starter when you don't need to since it sits out of the way.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Red Mnster Z
Installing the headers were easy after I removed the oil dipstick tube. The headers fit and look great. Now I'm working on cutting my old y-pipe off so I can connect my new pacesetter y-pipe to the rest of my exhaust. I'm just trying to find something that will cut my old pipe easy without taking hours just to cut it by hand with a hacksaw. I don't even know why people say to remove the starter when you don't need to since it sits out of the way.
torch or cutoff wheel works well...

how many hours did it take for the header install?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Cutoff wheel would be your best bet to cut it off in 2 minutes. Unless you do have a torch or plasma cutter.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Reciprocating saw (saws all) will get it done quick, just be careful not to cut anything else. Use a short blade.

I'm a little confused tho, you said you have to remove the y-pipe. The y-pipe includes the cat and there's a flange right behind the cat with 2 or 3 bolts. If you didn't remove that yet, then how the hell did you get the manifolds out and the headers in??
Old 08-01-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

people take off the starter for more room. its really not that hard to take off?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

2 bolts and 2 nuts, not hard at all. i actually enjoy it. Headers are a pain in the ***, the more **** you tear off the better it is.

I thought you were looking for ways to install without the starter on lol. I was going to say drop the k member, unbolt the trans amount. fuel lines. all that **** and roll the whole shebang out. Seems like more work then removing 2 starter bolts though!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on saving yourself the time it takes to remove 2 bolts which in turn makes it a ton easier getting in the back bolts and spark plugs.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

I know taking the starter off would have saved me alot more time, but it really didnt take that long to install with the starter still on. I just removed the dipstick tube and I was set. I also thought about cutting the inner wheel walls out to make it easier but unfortunately, I didnt have the tools to do it. The way I did it was fairly easy, but thats just me.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=Red Mnster Z;15220863 I'm just trying to find something that will cut my old pipe easy without taking hours just to cut it by hand with a hacksaw.[/QUOTE]

exhaust cutter
Old 11-08-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Back from the dead

Quick Reply: LT1 F-body Pacesetter LTs install w/o removing starter