LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

water system ? LT1 95 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water system ? LT1 95 corvette

i bought a 95 corvette LT1 3 days ago. 144,000 mi. i'm in the middle of freshening it up.
i took out the radiator and flushed it with a garden hose, nothing but brown came out. this car hasn't been serviced since 95.

anyway, i put it back in and filled it with water in the overflow. the overflow tank topped off and didn't flow anywhere. i left the upper radiator hose off, started the car and no water cycled. the water just sits in the overflow tank and the other tank that's up near the passenger windshield.

i picked up a water pump, plug wires, plugs, ignition coil, opti spark (might as well since i have the water pump off) & timing chain.

my question is, is there some kind of check valve in this system that's keeping the water in the overflow tank with the radiator out? or do i just need to blow through the lines with some air to dislodge something?

thanks
Old 08-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Teching In

15 min ago i started on tearing it down to the timing chain. i looked in the overflow tank and the water is gone. seems as though it cycled through.

hmmm....

i'll take any tips or heads up eitherway.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well... Did you put the drive coupler on the back of the WP that connects it to the cam drivin gear ? Did you follow your repair manuals bleeding procedure or did you buy a vett, tear it apart and skimp on a manual?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Well... Did you put the drive coupler on the back of the WP that connects it to the cam drivin gear ? Did you follow your repair manuals bleeding procedure or did you buy a vett, tear it apart and skimp on a manual?

Oh Snap! that was a harsh crack of the whip. the system is designed to draw the water from the overflow back into the radiator to keep it full. and yes I am sure that you did not bleed the air out of the system. get a Clymers manual from Oreillys or some other parts house. And "default" I agree to a point, no sense being SO D@#$ HARSH!!! you were not born with all that you know at this point. crymanie I am at least 100% sure someone had to teach and help you at some point???
Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just being real ,lol
Old 08-15-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know I am with you all the way, just a little less harsh that is all we were there once. the GTP that I drive, I traded a feller that could afford the car but could not afford to properly maintain it.. In my book "he still could not afford the car" maintaining is an interlingual part of affording the thing.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Teching In

i didn't exactly word what i was saying clearly.
yesterday, i noticed the overflow was bone dry, so i went ahead and took out the radiator, cleaned it, and put it back together. (even though i was already intenting to put on a new pump, distributor, etc...i was just wanting to drive it to work today.
the radiator is the only thing i took out at that time.

i bought a manual the day i got the car. i still like tips from others.

i'm sorry for asking a question, defaultexistance. you're smart, i'm dumb....you have 1,201 posts, i don't
Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

yeah just make sure when you put the WP back on to use thread sealer on the WP bolts new gaskets along with RTV. I don't know how many bleed valves there are on a C4 LT1 but just make sure to bleed it a few times a day for a few days and there should be no more air left in the system. BTW you are very smart for replacing the opti while your in there. A little tip is to mark the wires as you remove them from the opti and be careful with the opti harness as they tend to brake when you take them off.

Quick Reply: water system ? LT1 95 corvette