LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MAF Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF Question

if your MAF is going out or missing up and u unplug it would it still run the same as if it was plugged up or does that mean thats not the problem

the car runs okay until you go half throttle or more and it smokes just a little on the left side only when you go hard on the throttle.

i hope that makes sum kinda since
Old 08-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Banned

you can i am 99.9% sure but i think it will have a ses code. i bet that is why it is smoking. if you want performance i would buy a new 100mm maf by any company. i heard the maf is a bitch to get out of the lid. you have to heat the lid up to get it out and the same to get it in.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

would the check engine light be on if it was out?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the lt1 section so his car wont have a LID, and a 100mm tb would be a waste on a stock motor, since its more than just plug in and go. When you unplug you MAf it will then run in speed density mod. To determine if the MAF has issues a live data stream should be used to determine the values are correct. Car will most likly run rich in speed density mode as well.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
This is the lt1 section so his car wont have a LID, and a 100mm tb would be a waste on a stock motor, since its more than just plug in and go. When you unplug you MAf it will then run in speed density mod. To determine if the MAF has issues a live data stream should be used to determine the values are correct. Car will most likly run rich in speed density mode as well.

Live data stream??? would the snap-on tell me if the MAF is causing issues
Old 08-31-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes any good scanner will
Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
you can i am 99.9% sure but i think it will have a ses code. i bet that is why it is smoking. if you want performance i would buy a new 100mm maf by any company. i heard the maf is a bitch to get out of the lid. you have to heat the lid up to get it out and the same to get it in.
You might should just read when visiting...
Old 08-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Launching!

I know mine runs shitty without the MAF hooked up. Just do like me when I think a certain part is broke and I dont have the patience or know how to fix it, buy a new one.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:19 PM

I believe a MAF will only throw a code if the circuit is broken/shorted, or once the readings get outside of a certain range, so you can have a 'bad' MAF without a code, unplugging it should most definately turn on the engine light, since this breaks the circuit.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone posting even know how to diag the MAF? Or understand what it does? Codes don't always pop when there is an issue with a part. That is why proper diag is need to be certine what the issue is. For all we know the map sensor can be clogged.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 PM

The MAF runs a current through a filament, then measures what is needed to keep the filament at a certain temperature. More/less air changes the amount of current needed to keep it at a given temperature, allowing it measure the amount of air passing.

Or were you not talking to me?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

You left out it measures in grams. Lol Anyway we don't have all the info needed to be able to give a correct answer. You need to start with a scanner and some live data while the car is having issues, remember to record so you don't crash into someone. Then go from there. Good luck
Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 PM

You left out it measures in grams. Lol Anyway we don't have all the info needed to be able to give a correct answer. You need to start with a scanner and some live data while the car is having issues, remember to record so you don't crash into someone. Then go from there. Good luck
Lol, my bad. I really wasn't trying to diagnose, just make the point that you can have a bad MAF w/o codes. Hell you can get MAF codes with a good MAF for that matter.

100% agree more info is needed to diagnose, as well as an understanding of what the data represents.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone posting even know how to diag the MAF? Or understand what it does? Codes don't always pop when there is an issue with a part. That is why proper diag is need to be certine what the issue is. For all we know the map sensor can be clogged.
Yea, go to autozone/napa/advance buy a good one...install it in the parking lot...see if it fixed your problem...if not exchange the bitch for a full refund
Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Launching!

I like ahritchies idea.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's a waste of time and money. Stop giving out bad advice to people. Have it diagnosed or have someone help you so your not wasting time and money. A MAF is an electrical part and once installed can not be returned first off. Second without diag your wasting your time.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a waste of time and money. Stop giving out bad advice to people. Have it diagnosed or have someone help you so your not wasting time and money. A MAF is an electrical part and once installed can not be returned first off. Second without diag your wasting your time.
Have you ever had one go bad on you? I have and they don't always throw a code unfortunately. Point is try a KNOWN GOOD ONE regardless of whether you buy one from autozone or borrow a buddies, it takes 2 minutes to swap it out....besides, obviously you don't tell them you installed it if you are returning one
Old 09-02-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Have you ever had one go bad on you? I have and they don't always throw a code unfortunately. Point is try a KNOWN GOOD ONE regardless of whether you buy one from autozone or borrow a buddies, it takes 2 minutes to swap it out....besides, obviously you don't tell them you installed it if you are returning one
Well, telling him to installing it in the parking lot is not the stealthiest of moves....Most parts places have big glass windows up front, easy to lose the money if one of the parts sees you installing it, not to mention most places wont even take electrical back, period, unless you're exchanging it for another one (DOA) or a similar one (wrong part).

Having someone help you do a correct diagnosis is still the best option.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's what im saying but hey what do I know? I have only worked on cars for 20 yrs.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Data stream is needed to diagnos this problem period.

Quick Reply: MAF Question