LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My 95 Camaro just stopped running.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 95 Camaro just stopped running.

I have a 95 Camaro 5.7L and I was driving home a few weeks ago it died on the way home and wouldn't start back up so I pushed it home. The next morning I went out to start it and it fired up fine and I drove it around the block, I turned it off and tried to restart it and nothing. I replaced my fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor and coil all within a year and half, I'm having the hardest time getting this figured out. I can hear my fuel pump running and I've checked every fuse and none of them are blown. Please anything will help at this point.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Check your spark you know you have fuel and you have air so you need something to ingnite the fuel for combustion.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Get a fuel pressure gauge on it. Just because you can hear the pump doesnt mean it is giving proper pressure. Good luck
Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you run your tank empty since you replaced the filter? Is your check engine light on?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

It's optispark replacement time! Have fun!
Old 09-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ahritchie
It's optispark replacement time! Have fun!
+1 Test your fuel pressure and spark to know for sure.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Buy the most expensive opti & be done with it. Still going strong knock on wood.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

I had same issue as you too. I'll post a link to my thread later but in the end 99% likely opti if you've already replaces the other ignition components.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hate optis.. I had two AC/Delcos go out on my 94.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I suggest starting with a fuel pressure check and ICM test (ICM can be tested at AutoZone- have them run the test 3-4 times back to back to see if it fails when warm). Fuel pressure should be 40-43PSI at key on/ engine off.

For those that say opti, you might want to test a $340.00 part before replacing it...

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test
Old 09-06-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
I had same issue as you too. I'll post a link to my thread later but in the end 99% likely opti if you've already replaces the other ignition components.
Thats just a guess unless you do diag to know for sure if its spark or fuel. For all we know it could be the igntion switch not sending a signal or a pump that does not have proper FP. Stop guessing and give him a starting point. Just guessing can cost you lots of money and NOT fix anything at all.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
Thats just a guess unless you do diag to know for sure if its spark or fuel. For all we know it could be the igntion switch not sending a signal or a pump that does not have proper FP. Stop guessing and give him a starting point. Just guessing can cost you lots of money and NOT fix anything at all.
You are correct sir. I doubt anyone meant for him to toss parts at it especially an opti. He needs to diagnose the problem like you said.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

OPTI Time. I just did mine last weekend.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^ This is the problem. People chim in throwing opti out there without having a clue what HIS car is doing. Then people who don't know cars take 10 people posting opti and thinks hey my car must need one. Most of the time they replace icm and coil and wires and plugs and after all that hate the car. If you want to waste money on an internet guess and take that money and buy a Fuel pressure tester,Spark tester and a Multimeter. Then you can stop guessing and check what needs to checked and replace the correct parts.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

ehh i glance over a lot on these and was under the impression he had fuel and was looking for a firing problem. I had pulse when mine did the same thing but after it warmed up died right out, got worse within 24 hours until it would run a few minutes tops. Just stating if HE DOES have fuel and the other components like the coil, ICM and even the opti harness... (try the $13 save if it's still the original harness) have been replaced/tested then i'd say almost positively the opti. Also don't think he stated what opti he used, could be the msd or ect for all we know. Always buy GM new right.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll stArt the bidding for your 95 5.7 at $500
Old 09-07-2011, 12:38 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseZ28
I replaced my fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor and coil all within a year and half, I'm having the hardest time getting this figured out.
I suggest testing the ICM first. The ICM is mounted on the front of the head. When engine gets hot its possible to get heat soaked and fail/stall. just a good starting point in my opinion since youve already replaced some of the main things which could cause this.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Im sorry to hear that this happened to you. This happened to my friends car agood month ago. We replaced Everything short of the entire engine. We did every check through shbox.com to figure it out and the only source for the cause can be the opti. Fuel pressure is perfect, the ignition switch we had replaced along with the coil and icm. I did not feel however that we had just 'thrown money away' for replacing those items. They were original to the car and had 100k miles on them. My friends going to get the opti replaced soon and hopefully thatll cure his symptoms until he does a 4.8 vortec swap come winter.

I, along with many many people with LT1's are just fed up with issues with bum optis. Thus why the next time my opti goes out (hopes not for along time) im just going to go 24x. It makes the most sense.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Im sorry to hear that this happened to you. This happened to my friends car agood month ago. We replaced Everything short of the entire engine. We did every check through shbox.com to figure it out and the only source for the cause can be the opti. Fuel pressure is perfect, the ignition switch we had replaced along with the coil and icm. I did not feel however that we had just 'thrown money away' for replacing those items. They were original to the car and had 100k miles on them. My friends going to get the opti replaced soon and hopefully thatll cure his symptoms until he does a 4.8 vortec swap come winter.

I, along with many many people with LT1's are just fed up with issues with bum optis. Thus why the next time my opti goes out (hopes not for along time) im just going to go 24x. It makes the most sense.
My Icm in one of my car and the opti have almost 200k on them and work perfect, so yes you threw money away by not diag the car correctly. Sorry but thats not how to fix a car correctly. As for bum optis ( out of 10 are improperly installed somehow and thats why they go bad, I have 3 optis that have well over 100k on them that have run nitrous to blowers and still work perfect. I bought 1 msd opti and that was for my race car and i ended up swaping it out for a ac delco unit. People are brain washed into thinking the opti sucks and always breaks but dont realize this happen due to many diffrent things like loose rotor or cap, on a pin style the pin is not seated in the opti correclty or in the wrong hole.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
I'll stArt the bidding for your 95 5.7 at $500
Are you getting cheap these days? You used to offer "a grand as it sits."

Quick Reply: My 95 Camaro just stopped running.