LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My stock heads are FUBAR... Ai or AFR next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Let's not forget my car at the same track is quicker.
True but Dont forget my car MPHs better at the same track in worse weather. Now I just need to get the damn 60ft back.

BTW you ever make it out this year? I just raced my turd at the shootout and did horrible. I did find out why the car was being so shitty though so hoping this friday is nice out so I can get some redemption.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
They also have an unported intake and stock waterpump which more than negates that, not to mention actual full weight with zr1's on all 4 corners and still managed to trap over 120 with gearing that makes them cross the traps under 6000 rpm's. What happened to your trap speed when you ran a 28" tire with the 4.11's which is pretty much the same as running 3.73's on a 25.7" tire? Or what about the fact that there's a heavy impala running 10's with the same heads/cam setup as me?

Lets not forget the fact that I also gained 25rwhp and 2mph and .2 in the 1/4 by going from an le2 setup with a ported intake to an Ai setup with a stock intake and no other changes.
Like I said it has a lot to do with the entire set up not just HP.

I gave your car credit but................................

Wasnt your LE package set up wrong? As in you put in the wrong size PRs? Also didnt you change the cam with the heads? How can you call that apples to apples.

Do you really think a ported intake is worth much at our level? Maybe the WP is good for a few HP but not so much as to negate the S60 and 4.10s on the dyno.

I dont think my tire gearing combo was killing me as much as I thought. I think it has more to do with the + pinion angle my car was set at and that I was shifting into 5th NA. It was so bad it ripped my TA bushing in half. Theres a big thread in the drag racing dept if you need more info
Old 09-19-2011, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
This is what I really don't understand about threads like these. It's as if you all have Alzheimers when it comes to someone asking for information about one or more component brands. Opinions are raised and people go nuts as if it's never happened before. It's the same **** it's been since message boards have been created. People are loyal to the brands they buy and are biased to others. Some have great reason while others are simply lap dog loyal. It's human nature. When has it ever been different?
Seriously, I would suggest creating a place where those who cannot deal with a difference of opinion agree on the same issues. That way there will be no friction. You will all be happy posting amongst yourselves with your one track minds.
Im not biased towards other brands. All of the companies talked about in this thread are killer places to work with. I chose LE because his customer service and help in setting the car up. I have never said anything negative about any of the other set ups/ companies out there. I just talk about my experience with LE and that Im very happy about it. I post my car as an example that rivals almost all other similar set ups as proof it can be done.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
LOL ...wow..didn't realize my thread would deteriorate to petty name calling and general douchbaggery over the weekend. I didn't realize LT1 owners were THAT passionate about their heads

After thinking it over, I'm 90% sold on sticking with the original plan of Ai 200cc stock castings....it will less expensive that way and should make all the power I need...I'm not building a race car or a record breaker here. I just want to find some castings as cheaply as possible.

The AFR 195's sound nice if it's true they do fit a ported LT1 intake...but I haven't seen PROOF they are better than 200cc Ai....I think I would need that to justify paying a few hundred more. Somebody show me this No doubt, the AFR 210's would be awesome...they are a bit out of my price range and I fear they might be too much head for what I really need....plus the 550+ hp might destroy my 10-bolt in short order.

You are choosing 2 of the BEST and most expensive heads on the market and you say you don't want a "Race car or Record breaker" not starting a war here but there is a 6 speed car with LE1's and the Ole shitty CC306 running 11's........
Old 09-19-2011, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ElkySS
i broke 3 10 bolts and 5 clutches with only 363rwhp. but i have a 6 speed so....
Obviously a manual trans is going to be hard on parts....with 350+rwtq and sticky tires on a track surface is really testing the drive train.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lawhead
You are choosing 2 of the BEST and most expensive heads on the market and you say you don't want a "Race car or Record breaker" not starting a war here but there is a 6 speed car with LE1's and the Ole shitty CC306 running 11's........
I just don't want to be disappointed after dropping thousands of hard earned dollars on this 383 build.....heads are where the power is made...period...I don't want some so-so performing no-name ported heads holding me back. That said, the track numbers aren't really important until the rear end gets upgraded too eventually. As mentioned before this is a STREET CAR....I'm not a track junkie like you and many others here...the car is set up for autocross anyway. Ai is NOT the most expensive either, they are several hundred dollars cheaper than either the AFR 195cc or 210cc heads...maybe a little more than LE heads but you get what you pay for with a 100% consistent CNC porting that has yet to be surpassed by anyone.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Obviously a manual trans is going to be hard on parts....with 350+rwtq and sticky tires on a track surface is really testing the drive train.
I know...I'm not going to push my luck with sticky tires at all until I get a new rear end....315 sumitomo street tires will be up in smoke Maybe I can get away with DR's on the street...my 10 bolt has a girdle if it helps at all.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
actually, the first one was on street tires. the other 2 we only on 555r tires
Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Damn...street tires only it is. Time for me to start saving for a 12 bolt now. Why did you go through 3 10 bolts before upgrading anyway?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

was in college and couldnt afford it. it was (and still is) my only car and i needed it back on the road. ended up borrowing money from my dad
Old 09-19-2011, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

same story with the 5 cluthes i broke. orielly really stands behind thier lifetime warranty
Old 09-19-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Buying heads based on flow #'s is as smart as speccing a cam based on DCR.
and you are nothing but a ******* parrot!!

go read some more cool posts so you have something to say
Old 09-19-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
i think you are making the right choice for your goals.........like i said i had my reasons for going with the AI head over the AFR.......i can get into them but at this point i think it will cause more E-drama haha........what i can GUARANTEE you is that AI is top notch....they do fantastic work and make fantastic power .....i know some of the top runners run AFR heads.....but those are also Nitrous and FI cars......most of the top runners NA are AI cars (minus Joe O)....myself, rick abare, (96caprice^), Pat (Bowtie) and many more....and the biggest thing is they do it and be durable at the same time.........making big power and making it consistantly is very difficult........and they pull it off!!!! i am extremely happy with my AI heads and cam.......as well as the support i get from AI.......im actually going to be installing one of their cams in my LS2 GTO too.......

again by no means am i trashing AFR.......AFR makes a great product that is tried and true........but there are ways of inflating flow numbers that get overlooked........also flow numbers dont tell everything keep that in mind...........one of the best things i like is the 227 race head tested on a 4.125" bore.........when you find a 4.125" bore LT1 you let me know lol
Actually about zero of the fastest N/A GEN 1 3 OR 4 small blocks run AI heads. They do work well on LT1's if a person is going to limit themselves to a Gen 2 specific manufactured head.

and I'm not starting ****! Just fact! Your car is badass!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
They do work well on LT1's if a person is going to limit themselves to a Gen 2 specific manufactured head.

and I'm not starting ****! Just fact! Your car is badass!
isnt that what we are talking about here though gen II LT heads lol??

and thanks!!!

Quick Reply: My stock heads are FUBAR... Ai or AFR next?