LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My stock heads are FUBAR... Ai or AFR next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h26Uz...layer_embedded

Does that link work?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I can see where you became confused. I would like to see track results from that 396. Not just dyno numbers. Perhaps that's convincing enough for you. It really isn't for me.
Weren't you the one so quick to point out that ET's are only due to the setup of the car and not its engine? You always seem quick to discredit quick ET's from cars that DONT use the parts you want for all sorts of crazy reasons(its gutted, can't be driven on the street, the track is downhill/underground/in Antarctica, etc) but then you ask for ET's to show a proven powerful motors worth? Wouldn't a poor ET just mean its not set up properly, and an impressive ET means they took their time to dial it in?

Doesn't exactly seem fair.

EDIT: That link works fine Joel
Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joelster
The last link worked aswell as this one. Your right that car does look slow; hardly any drama at all.

OP... Do whatever the hell you want. Its your money and either AFR or AI stockers are going to be Monstrous! If you are on a budget just for for which evers the cheaper of the two.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Weren't you the one so quick to point out that ET's are only due to the setup of the car and not its engine?
You sure are desperate at mouthing to make something out of nothing. I've never said anything like that. I like to see ET's, MPH, DA, race weight and track location before making any sort of judgment call. Where you may have again become lost is I have stated in the past how ET means not a lot of anything regarding what kind of power an engine is making. Anything else you need to use to deflect from your confusion?

Last edited by SS RRR; 09-16-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

You sure are desperate at mouthing to make something out of nothing. I've never said anything like that. I like to see ET's, MPH, DA, race weight and track location before making any sort of judgment call. Where you may have again become lost is I have stated in the past how ET means not a lot of anything regarding what kind of power an engine is making. Anything else you need to use to deflect from your confusion?
If
ET means not a lot of anything regarding what kind of power an engine is making.
...and one engine has already made 500rwhp N/A, why do you need still need ET's (that you admit mean not a lot of anything as far an power) to admit that the heads "work very well" and as proof of their performance?

You are not only grasping at straws, but contradicting yourself.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

FWIW, we have a local race event for street cars (Big Block and Small Block classes), and the rules allow any stock heads and certain aftermarket heads (Edelbrock, Pro Comp, some Brodix, etc.) with any modifications (including epoxy and welding), certain heads (AFR, RHS, some Brodix, All Pro, etc.) are prohibited. They want to keep the racing close and fair by preventing people with deep pockets from running away from everyone else in the class.

IMO, starting with a good aftermarket casting that will deliver out of the box and provide plenty of room to grow in the future is the way to go.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

If

...and one engine has already made 500rwhp N/A, why do you need still need ET's (that you admit mean not a lot of anything as far an power) to admit that the heads "work very well" and as proof of their performance?

He doesn't mind contradicting himself, as long as it means he can keep on arguing.

SS RRR is "special".
Old 09-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Village Troll

If

Oh you... I see what you're doing.

... unless you are stupid enough to take a dyno number as gospel truth without any further information?
You are a tricky one you are!

Originally Posted by 05HD
He doesn't mind contradicting himself, as long as it means he can keep on arguing.

SS RRR is "special".
And you...
Old 09-16-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts

Old 09-17-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Veteran

... unless you are stupid enough to take a dyno number as gospel truth without any further information?
You are a tricky one you are!
From people like Tony, Sikora, and Steve? Yea, I'd take any dyno number they say as Gospel. What do they have to prove to lie or inflate a number??? Show off to some Keyboard Racers? .

I was hoping to get a more colorful response out of you, but it seems the jig is up .

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Old 09-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Village Troll

From people like Tony, Sikora, and Steve? Yea, I'd take any dyno number they say as Gospel.
Of course you would. Wouldn't expect anything different.
It's your choice. No matter the rock star I'd much rather see track results.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Im gonna be different and say go with the TFS 21* heads. They work great out of the box and when you are ready, ai or le can port them for even better numbers...
Old 09-17-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would buy some AFR heads and have them ported by Advanced Induction. Split the difference.

Haha
Old 09-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Tireburnin
I would buy some AFR heads and have them ported by Advanced Induction. Split the difference.

Haha
Now you've done it... The brohsters will not put up with your shenanigans.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Fwiw .....my ai headed car turned a 10.01@135 na today at 3305lbs .......figured id add that in there
Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

This video is a fake. That car doesnt have an LT1, it has a 2JZ swap from a Supra.

I also dont know what the big deal is with AFR vs AI. Both have proven to be performers.
Ive decided to go with the Trick Flow 21* heads on my 355 build. I can get them cheaper than I can a set of AI ported stockers and still make my goal of 420rwhp.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brodix trac 1's ftw!
Old 09-18-2011, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The afr 195 eliminators work with the LT1 intake. Just have it ported and you'll be fine. Right now I run mine with a cc306 on spray. N/A or spray it pulls like a beast. If it means anything to the op, soon I am going to use my out of the box AFR's with a AI cam. Best of both worlds. My stock heads were damaged also, I wanted something out of the box that performed well without breaking the bank....AFR was my solution. To each his own...apples and oranges.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

My car makes pretty good power for what it is. Also used to be pretty quick on the stock suspension. Now I changed so much its a turd (although I think I finally figured it out).
Just proof a car with decent HP can run crappy #s at the track if the car isnt set up right.

FYI I have LE2 ported stockers and only know of 1 or 2 similar cars with AI heads that make more power. They also have 10bolts and 3.73s which add a decent amount on the dyno over 4.10s and a S60.

AI,LE, AFR, TFS and many many others all can make great power. Its the total combo that counts. Ive seen many cars with the same heads listed above have crappy results.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
My car makes pretty good power for what it is. Also used to be pretty quick on the stock suspension. Now I changed so much its a turd (although I think I finally figured it out).
Just proof a car with decent HP can run crappy #s at the track if the car isnt set up right.

FYI I have LE2 ported stockers and only know of 1 or 2 similar cars with AI heads that make more power. They also have 10bolts and 3.73s which add a decent amount on the dyno over 4.10s and a S60.

AI,LE, AFR, TFS and many many others all can make great power. Its the total combo that counts. Ive seen many cars with the same heads listed above have crappy results.
They also have an unported intake and stock waterpump which more than negates that, not to mention actual full weight with zr1's on all 4 corners and still managed to trap over 120 with gearing that makes them cross the traps under 6000 rpm's. What happened to your trap speed when you ran a 28" tire with the 4.11's which is pretty much the same as running 3.73's on a 25.7" tire? Or what about the fact that there's a heavy impala running 10's with the same heads/cam setup as me?

Lets not forget the fact that I also gained 25rwhp and 2mph and .2 in the 1/4 by going from an le2 setup with a ported intake to an Ai setup with a stock intake and no other changes.

Quick Reply: My stock heads are FUBAR... Ai or AFR next?