LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My stock heads are FUBAR... Ai or AFR next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Far as all the fast cars joelster pointed out, I just don't see the comparison to something like Abare's car running 9.8 NA on ported GM heads and intake and now mid 9s NA on AI's Trickflows that anyone else can just order up at a reasonable price, not a one off thing.

Something that people need to understand is "fast for what it is".

Compare two cars, car A runs low 11s with aftermarket heads and intake as 3100lbs, car B runs mid 11s with ported stock heads and intake and less cam but weighs 1000+lbs more.

Which car is more impressive?
Abare's car is a pump gas friendly NA 383 kept to fairly low rpms
Hell let's throw in car C same setup as car B for the engine BUT a more dialed in closer to racecar at only 700lbs heavier than car A but runs high 10s with those ported GM heads and intake.

Don't look at pure ET look also at what went into getting to that.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Compare two cars, car A runs low 11s with aftermarket heads and intake as 3100lbs, car B runs mid 11s with ported stock heads and intake and less cam but weighs 1000+lbs more.
I believe I do see what you did there.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ai just informed me there is no sales tax on labor I sent a couple pm's to some people selling stock castings for cheap ($100)....so it looks like the scale has tipped in Ai's favor as far as pricing goes (+/- $1450 total once I buy heads and porting). Which is almost as important as hitting my goals.

I can now say the AFR 195's are now eliminated....I already have a ported LT1 intake and have no intentions of dropping even more $$$ for a LT4 intake too.

However, I did see this pair of "old" 190cc AFR PORTED heads on ebay. They don't make these heads anymore....what does everyone think they are worth and how do they stack up to the Ai's? Just curious.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT1-L...item27be4fd591
Old 09-16-2011, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Ai just informed me there is no sales tax on labor I sent a couple pm's to some people selling stock castings for cheap ($100)....so it looks like the scale has tipped in Ai's favor as far as pricing goes (+/- $1450 total once I buy heads and porting). Which is almost as important as hitting my goals.

I can now say the AFR 195's are now eliminated....I already have a ported LT1 intake and have no intentions of dropping even more $$$ for a LT4 intake too.

However, I did see this pair of "old" 190cc AFR PORTED heads on ebay. They don't make these heads anymore....what does everyone think they are worth and how do they stack up to the Ai's? Just curious.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT1-L...item27be4fd591
The port work looks ******* horrible. Not to mention I wouldn't want bronze guides that aftermarket heads come with on a street car.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There asking 1700 for a set of useded out dated heads? please stop using ebay and start listening to the good advice most are giving you. Stock casting Ported GOOD! with a huge smile at the end. If you had big money i would have said buy AFR and port the hell out of them. AI or LE will get you where you need to go and make great power
Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

And SOMEONE high must have ported those heads, they do look like ****!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:17 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Perhaps I don't understand. There are those stating to run out of the box AFR heads instead of having stock castings reworked and pretty much guaranteed to perform? Is that right?

Just for the record. My AFR's are out of the box. No head porter has touched them. Same with Kyle's AFR heads, untouched.

A local racer who is on this forum has the out of the box AFR 210's on his 396 with a stock ported intake, stock PCM, and hydraulic cam. He just put down 503 rwhp n/a a couple of weeks ago and this is a street car. Now thats impressive!

For those saying AFR's dont work, your wrong. Im not sure why we still have AFR bashers on here.

Do AI's heads work? Yes they do, very well.
Do AFR heads work? Yes they do, very well.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

that e bay junk looks very unsymmetrical
Old 09-16-2011, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Just for the record. My AFR's are out of the box. No head porter has touched them. Same with Kyle's AFR heads, untouched.

A local racer who is on this forum has the out of the box AFR 210's on his 396 with a stock ported intake, stock PCM, and hydraulic cam. He just put down 503 rwhp n/a a couple of weeks ago and this is a street car. Now thats impressive!

For those saying AFR's dont work, your wrong. Im not sure why we still have AFR bashers on here.

From the man himself!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Village Troll

I'm not sure if I'm fully convinced an out of the box AFR head will "work very well" compared to a worked stock casting when the references are heads that are getting the snot sprayed out of them and dyno numbers. That's just me though. I also really don't like what track numbers I have seen out of 195's from years past with 305 and 306 cams. IMO AFR's are great if you plan on getting them ported by someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM
8 Second Club

[QUOTE=SS RRR;15397460] I also really don't like what track numbers I have seen out of 195's from years past with 305 and 306 cams. [QUOTE]

Your comparing track #'s with combo's that had 305,306 cams way back when? lol I don't think anyone would like the results now days!
Old 09-16-2011, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

IMO AFR's are great if you plan on getting them ported by someone who knows what they're doing.
Are you REALLY saying that Tony Mamo doesn't know what he is doing? You realize that AFR Eliminator heads are cnc copies of port shapes that he has developed over the years.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

I'm still waiting for some results of the new 180-195cc eliminators on a street car. I was tempted to go with them since they first came out right when I did my last h/c swap, but I didn't want to take a $2000 gamble... that plus the fact that bronze guides will wear out much quicker and my car is my daily.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I'm still waiting for some results of the new 180-195cc eliminators on a street car. I was tempted to go with them since they first came out right when I did my last h/c swap, but I didn't want to take a $2000 gamble... that plus the fact that bronze guides will wear out much quicker and my car is my daily.
When the eliminators first came out my friend Mark grabbed a set of 195's for an sbc and had them converted. This was a few months before they made them dedicated to LT1, in reverse cooling. His car was far from sorted out, it runs huge 30" rear tires with a 3.54 rear gear. He hit it with a 150 shot at the track and went 10.19 at 13x (don't remember the exact mph). Had he spent some time with the tune or possibly swapping rear tires/gears he'd run mid/high 9's all day long. I'll fnd the video and post it in here. It launches so soft because it has no gear, not enough converter, too much tire, etc. But the car does make some power n/a and on the juice. When you see the launch you'll swear it's on a 12 second pass.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h26Uz8lOlrc

Last edited by joelster; 09-16-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added vid
Old 09-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Village Troll

[QUOTE=Tony Shepherd;15397839]I also really don't like what track numbers I have seen out of 195's from years past with 305 and 306 cams.

Your comparing track #'s with combo's that had 305,306 cams way back when? lol I don't think anyone would like the results now days!
Would love to see what that 396 does you mentioned. Post results when you can.

Originally Posted by joelster
Are you REALLY saying that Tony Mamo doesn't know what he is doing? You realize that AFR Eliminator heads are cnc copies of port shapes that he has developed over the years.
And?

I don't see how posting power adder numbers really proves anything?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A local racer who is on this forum has the out of the box AFR 210's on his 396 with a stock ported intake, stock PCM, and hydraulic cam. He just put down 503 rwhp n/a a couple of weeks ago and this is a street car.
And?

I don't see how posting power adder numbers really proves anything?
Sigh.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by joelster
When the eliminators first came out my friend Mark grabbed a set of 195's for an sbc and had them converted. This was a few months before they made them dedicated to LT1, in reverse cooling. His car was far from sorted out, it runs huge 30" rear tires with a 3.54 rear gear. He hit it with a 150 shot at the track and went 10.19 at 13x (don't remember the exact mph). Had he spent some time with the tune or possibly swapping rear tires/gears he'd run mid/high 9's all day long. I'll fnd the video and post it in here. It launches so soft because it has no gear, not enough converter, too much tire, etc. But the car does make some power n/a and on the juice. When you see the launch you'll swear it's on a 12 second pass.
Your vid isn't working.

Sounds like one hell of a back half.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Puck
Sigh.
It was in reference to the video you can't see of a power adder car. Good effort, however.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

It was in reference to the video you can't see of a power adder car. Good effort, however.
That doesn't change the fact that you wanted N/A results, and there were some posted 4 posts above the one you quoted .

I still don't see any reason to argue about two brands that are both so successful. They fill different niche's, and both have their place in different builds. If he already had stockers, and wasn't going for an excessively aggressive build, I would say AI 200s.

It's not like we're talking AI vs Edlebrock heads or something .
Old 09-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Puck
That doesn't change the fact that you wanted N/A results, and there were some posted 4 posts above the one you quoted .
I can see where you became confused. I would like to see track results from that 396. Not just dyno numbers. Perhaps that's convincing enough for you. It really isn't for me.

Quick Reply: My stock heads are FUBAR... Ai or AFR next?