Stock LT1 crank weight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:59 PM
LTX
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Money1
Crower is a no no only if you want to use cheap made in china ****
Lol well thanks for giving me a heads up. i know this is my first build and all and a young blood to the LT industry but do rotating assemblies have warranties? i know may be a crazy question.lol
Old 09-18-2011, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think they have much in the way of warranties because way too much is beyond their control, BUT if you can show them the part was defective the bigger companies seem to treat people well..

A local had a base level crank from one of the big companies crack and he caught it before failure. When he called and ordered the replacement he ordered a higher level crank and they threw in some significant upgrades besides and a good price.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:15 PM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by fex77k
My 396 almost made that on w/ a carb and about 2k less rpms. I'm running some small Dart Pro 1s that have been worked over and a very streetable cam.

What kind of oil system are you going to run?
How much do you want to spend on the crankshaft?
Who is going to machine this thing for you?
Are you going to buy front and rear mains?
How often are you going to check the springs?
What kind of driving?

Honestly you need to spend big money on the top end when you want to run in the 8k range. You are going about this build the hard way, I would look to build a lower RPM high TQ motor, this is your first time you dont need a money pit. You aren't going to want to spin a 410ci to 8k, 355-396ci is were you might want to keep it.
High end dirt track motors are easily 20k, once you start putting Ti in a motor the price gets ridiculous. 1200+ for Ti valves at least that for a shaft setup. You are going to have a large shop bill, none of these parts can just be slapped together.
Well im wanting to stay smaller 355ci for the rpms, 396 is a great size but this is my first build and to be honest i don't feel comfortable going 396. i heard its pushing the limits and im planning on driving this car several times a week. maybe with the right tuning a street/track car. and no lol i would never go 410ci just yet i was just wondering about these LT blocks. in total i have about 20k in this build. i was gonna use 10 for the top end and maybe 5 for bottom end, and 5 for whatever else i need. and what are the benefits of Ti? i know its light weight and stronger but anything worth spending the extra money for reliability?

Oil system: dry sump maybe but what would you recommend?
Machining will be done a shop in west Miami i know from a friend. they specialize in GM engines.
Rear and Front mains: Yes
Checking the springs: Often im obsessed with keeping my engine healthy. have 205k on my stock LT1 and still running strong. 5W-30 synthetic mobile 1 every 2000 miles. spark plugs change every 5,000 miles.
And driving like i said above street/strip
Old 09-18-2011, 08:52 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LTX
Oil system: dry sump maybe but what would you recommend?
Machining will be done a shop in west Miami i know from a friend. they specialize in GM engines.
Rear and Front mains: Yes
Checking the springs: Often im obsessed with keeping my engine healthy. have 205k on my stock LT1 and still running strong. 5W-30 synthetic mobile 1 every 2000 miles. spark plugs change every 5,000 miles.
And driving like i said above street/strip
Try something like this
Carl likes to use the Titan pumps and the Stef's pans. A really nice setup for a wet sump. He is using Oliver rods with Mahle pistons(close to what I have). With the RPM range you are looking at you are going to have to consider a SR setup, with this a shaft setup is a good option. The caps will have to be ordered (pro-gram would work) and the machine shop will have to check them out.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 PM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by fex77k
Try something like this
Carl likes to use the Titan pumps and the Stef's pans. A really nice setup for a wet sump. He is using Oliver rods with Mahle pistons(close to what I have). With the RPM range you are looking at you are going to have to consider a SR setup, with this a shaft setup is a good option. The caps will have to be ordered (pro-gram would work) and the machine shop will have to check them out.
ok thanks, also what would be better at high rpms 2 bolt mains or 4 bolt? is there such thing as 6 bolt?

thanks
Old 09-24-2011, 06:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No offense, but if you're asking these relatively basic questions then maybe you aren't ready to start building a motor.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with him +1
Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LTX
ok thanks, also what would be better at high rpms 2 bolt mains or 4 bolt? is there such thing as 6 bolt?

thanks
It doesn't matter how much metal you put underneath the block if you have detonation it won't last. The strongest LT1 bottom you can make would be a 2 bolt block that is converted to splayed 4 bolt bottom. I'm only running a 4 bolt vette block. No LT1's have 6 bolt, only LS1's.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Listen to the guys experienced above. High rpm LTX is nothing new. My first one spun 8k back in 05. My second is about to be completed. Ive pretty much turned it into a race car that is barely driveable.

My only advice is if you have an F-body, go LSX. I would have. I have a c4 vette and the lsx is not exactly a bolt in needing too many custom fabb'd parts. I could make a ton more power with less exotic parts with a lower cost if I was able to use lsx.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:34 PM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
No offense, but if you're asking these relatively basic questions then maybe you aren't ready to start building a motor.
Lol no offense taken, i know im asking basic easy questions that i should know already but just want to make sure. Im fresh meat a 19 year old with inheritance money 50K with my 1994 Z28 my Mother owned since the year it rolled off the line. shes the first owner of the car and still runs like new so im going to treat it with a new build. im ready for a build. im just asking you professional LT guys who have been racing for years. Ill be posting pics of the car soon!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have the cash and are willing to spend it I would get an engine quote from Advanced Induction, they could handle this and do it very right the first time.
Setting up the rest of the car will be expensive too though when spending it all at once I think most would be shocked how fast money goes away.

Most of us hide the shock by doing things more slowly.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
A friend recently put together a 8500rpm gen 1 with a 3.750" stroke, ended up with a Callies Magnum I believe and he has a hardon for Lunati ProMod rods so he used those with I believe custom CP pistons.

As of last night he was in second place for Dragweek smallblock NA so it is holding up fine.

i see 8100-8200 regularly and the motor has been at 8500 before by mistake when the car wouldn't shift........im runing a lightened callies magnum with oliver billets and a SRP Pro Series Lightweight Piston and ring package

heres a peek at the bottom end.......

10k is too much to waste on a shortblock it cost me about half of that to do mine with billet main caps and everything.........if you aren't doing your own work i can see a bit more than that but still 10k is crazy........

LTX...,
like capricemgr said above an AI top end will be the way to go to make the power with the budget you ahve.........if you like PM me I do street/race engine designing/building and I can set you up with a good solid engine and Advanced Induction Top End to meet your goals.....

Mike

Last edited by quik95lt1; 09-27-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 AM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
i see 8100-8200 regularly and the motor has been at 8500 before by mistake when the car wouldn't shift........im runing a lightened callies magnum with oliver billets and a SRP Pro Series Lightweight Piston and ring package

heres a peek at the bottom end.......
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/a...312_183214.jpg
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/a...301_201848.jpg

10k is too much to waste on a shortblock it cost me about half of that to do mine with billet main caps and everything.........if you aren't doing your own work i can see a bit more than that but still 10k is crazy........

LTX...,
like capricemgr said above an AI top end will be the way to go to make the power with the budget you ahve.........if you like PM me I do street/race engine designing/building and I can set you up with a good solid engine and Advanced Induction Top End to meet your goals.....

Mike

Damn, thats a nice bottom end. you have any videos of your LT1? and how much total was your build including wiring, tuning, ect. btw what tranny you running?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 09:28 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LTX
Damn, thats a nice bottom end. you have any videos of your LT1? and how much total was your build including wiring, tuning, ect. btw what tranny you running?

Thanks

how much?? i have no clue and more than i even want to know lol...........all of the work was done in house short of boring and balancing and other engine machine work.......tuning was also done by me......as well as a full wire harness for the ECU i designed

im runing a 4L60E in mine with a Vigilante Lockup Converter........i like driving my car a bit still.........

i do have a whole crap laod of videos......

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vid...=2104142531627

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4I5gy0-dTs

scroll to like 3:35 in this video for the 10.01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxb1I...el_video_title
Old 09-27-2011, 04:13 PM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
how much?? i have no clue and more than i even want to know lol...........all of the work was done in house short of boring and balancing and other engine machine work.......tuning was also done by me......as well as a full wire harness for the ECU i designed

im runing a 4L60E in mine with a Vigilante Lockup Converter........i like driving my car a bit still.........

i do have a whole crap laod of videos......

http www facebook com #!/video/video.php?v=2104142531627

http www youtube com watch?v=f4I5gy0-dTs

scroll to like 3:35 in this video for the 10.01

http www youtube.com watch?v=Qxb1Inh62Y8
Lol damn bro, well im assuming your engine is indestructible. you inspire me. you are in the top 5 fastest N/A LT1's right?! and when is the next time the LTX shootout is in Florida?
Old 09-27-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ditch the opti with your budget and get a dana s60
Old 09-27-2011, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy Joes car its everything you will ever need/want

Hook up a nitrous kit and do it RIGHT with the rest of the money Call up Nitrous Oulet and you will have a 9 second car...........
Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

here's my buildup maybe its something you will like

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ics-motor.html
Old 09-28-2011, 10:23 PM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
here's my buildup maybe its something you will like

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ics-motor.html
goddamn bro i would give up my GF for your car, wanna trade? shes a blue eyed blond haha but nice vette what year is that? and that color with the forged wheels reminds me of my car. your right i love your build. i wanna hear your car with open headers haha. oh and how much power you making?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:37 AM
9 Second Club

heres my thread also...........shows the internals also of the motor.......to a point

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ics-video.html

Quick Reply: Stock LT1 crank weight?