LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 died on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 died on the road.

So my Lt1 been running great for the past 2 weeks np. Put about 200miles on it last week and just filled up today. Drove around for like 15 miles. Well coming back from dinner i get off the hwy and it just shuts off. I tryed to crank it over and its turning just not sputtering. Just a RUNANANANA and nothing. So after we get it to a parking lot i tried spraying starter fluid in it and it chocked and tried turning over but never started. My friend thinks its fuel related and that my fuel pump had gone out. I checked the relay and its turning off and on with the key. I checked the fuel pressure relief valve(i think thats right) and fuel did spray out of it. I have not checked it with a gauge to see what the fuel pressure is tho, i didn't have one on hand tonight.

For ***** i tried jumping it with another car b/c about a month ago the battery went dead but everything worked fine the car just wouldn't turn over. When i got it jumped it ran np for 5 mins then shut right off once the battery died. The amps was reading just fine. But the jump didnt work tonight so.

On a side note my friend pointed out a loud metal to metal sound when the car was just about to turn over when the starter fluid was sprayed into it. Thinking that was the starter tho. Add to that my ABS makes .... "Robot cranking noises" as i was told when turning the key to on but not starting the car.

If there's anything elts i should check plz let me know. Hopefully i can get the car running enough to get it home without needing to be towed.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fuel pressure.. Check it quit guessing.. Auto hoe rents em'
Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yea...check the pressure first. Does the LT1 fuel pump make a priming noise when you turn on the key....like the LS1 does?

Old 09-20-2011, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

idk? he said it fired up when the battery was jumped but died when it went dead? whats causing the battery to die? whats yopur volt meter on the dash reading when at a crank?
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Teching In

You will no if the fuel pump is priming, it's a high pitched loud noise. I would say check to see if the plugs are sparking.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Teching In

check the plug wire that connects the opti to the ignition coil...
Old 09-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Teching In

I'm leaning towards something pcm or fuel-related, honestly. If it chokes when you spray starter in it, then that means that it is sparking. I have this same issue with my car, except it has had 3 pcm's and a whole new vats system and still won't drive longer than 30 minutes.
I bit the bullet and bought a grabber blue 2011 5.0. Still miss my camaro though.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

What bravo said that **** happened to me on the highway... that plug came off...
Old 09-20-2011, 05:55 PM

i had a similar problem, car would just, shut off at different speeds, cold/hot, didn't matter. Then wouldn't restart for a bit. Turned out to be both the coil and the Ignition Control Module.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Update : Got the car home and with the little light we had we check over a few things. Ignitions / fuses are good. Reset the computer. Car sotra ran and sputtered with alil starter. We did check the bleeder value and the fuel is coming out but its drizzling with little pressure. Tomorrow we will dig into the fuel pump more and see whats all needed to replace it. Looking like fuel pump. I just replaced the fuel filter a month before but could there be a possibility of it being clogged?

Also. Whats a good fuel pump i should get. As far as i can tell the fuel system seems stock. I dont at all plan to boost the car or anything with in this year or next. Would i stock replacement from advance be just fine. They quoted me 207 i think for a botch one.

Last edited by Blind898; 09-20-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blind898
Update : Got the car home and with the little light we had we check over a few things. Ignitions / fuses are good. Reset the computer. Car sotra ran and sputtered with alil starter. We did check the bleeder value and the fuel is coming out but its drizzling with little pressure. Tomorrow we will dig into the fuel pump more and see whats all needed to replace it. Looking like fuel pump. I just replaced the fuel filter a month before but could there be a possibility of it being clogged?

Also. Whats a good fuel pump i should get. As far as i can tell the fuel system seems stock. I dont at all plan to boost the car or anything with in this year or next. Would i stock replacement from advance be just fine. They quoted me 207 i think for a botch one.
Walboro 255
Old 09-20-2011, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

So its not running even with starter fluid?? Did it backfire right b4 it died? Hate to say it but the rotor may have taken a ****. Check the fuel pressure with a gauge and get back to us.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

check the fuel pressure with a gauge and stop the guessing game.. if it comes out good the move on to the next possible solution the the problem
Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^ for like the millionth time... Walboro 255 fuel pump or one from racetronix .. **** an auto zone one ... Do the trap door mod and save yOur self time and money .. I just did mine for the hell of it for when it finally goes . Used 1/4 aluminum plate and weather strips to seal it back.Now a fuel pump swap is under 30'min.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Im not trying to do a guessing game i just haven't had the time to get ahold of a tool to check the pressure. It was 9 at night when the car just shut off then when i got home from work today i had to get the car towed and when i got it home i wasn't able to get out to get / rent the tool. I will be checking it tomorrow just haven't been able to the tool. Im reading what you guys are saying trust me and it will be check, but until tomorrow i was checking to make sure something elts wasnt the issue. I rly appreciate the feed back and suggestions and once i get it check ill post back. Thanxs everyone for the help.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

If it starts when you jump it and dies along with the battery, maybe it's your alternator?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

So any update on this. It may be easier to do the cut door but man I would hate to cut into my car
Old 09-22-2011, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by on1wheel01
So any update on this. It may be easier to do the cut door but man I would hate to cut into my car
Nothing yet, we been getting hit with rain all week and its forecast to rain till Wednesday :/. Havnt been able to get out to it to check. Iv been asking some friends and one guys willing to do it for cheap in his garage if thats the issue. Once the weather lightens up i will be posting an update. Again thanxs everything for all the help.

O also can anyone link me the walbro 255 fuel pump. Idk if im not looking at hte right place but im not sure if im finding the right one.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

its the opti-spark. hence to no start when using starter fluid.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Ok small update, Still raining! And i have a guy coming by Monday with a gauge and trailer to tow off my car to get it fixed. I told him the story and he thinks its the Fuel pump as well. I told him i replaced the fuel filter and the old one was bad. He said thats the ticket. If the old pump was use to the back pressure of a clogged filter then a new filter would make the gas flow faster causing the pump to work harder again and cause it to burn its self out.

On a side note i kinda did an uhho... I was looking around at vats and came across a neat thread on how to bypass it with resistors. Reading on alil more i see a cmt that someone said doing this did nothing but make the security light finally turn off. So an idea pops in my head to try it since my light has been ON for 2 weeks strong now(eye soar). So i get the right resistor to match my key and pop in it and guess what it worked! No more security light! This did nothing to get the car running again but didnt hurt to try so i thought. So i take the resistor out to properly solder them together, hook the wires back up ( i didnt cut anything just unplugged them) and put my key back in and now the car wont recognize my key.....the security light just keeps flashing. I put the resistor back on and it works fine. Do i have to disconnect the battery to reset the computer? I tryed leaving the key in for 15mins on on but that didnt help. Any ideas?

If you must Bash away >.< this isnt the only times iv "Fixed something that isnt broken" You think i would learn by now :/

Quick Reply: LT1 died on the road.