LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Weird Header Question....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not debating that fbodies are junk. I love them. I'm also not saying that rx8s are the best **** since sliced bread. I personally love them and feel they deserve respect. A rotary owner could say the same thing about our shitty rearends or our opti or our poor interior quality, blah blah blah. It's all a matter of perspective. Every car will have it flaws. You just have to pick your poison. Obviously I would rather own a v8 American muscle car or else I would have bought an rx8. An rx8 owner may hate our interiors and anything else they want. I'm just saying that I feel rotary engines deserve respect. If Mazda, being the non sport oriented company it is, is the only modern manufacturer that puts a rotary in their cars then how can you write off rotary engines? If a 1.3 liter engine can make 232 HP from the factory, then what could say a 3.0 rotary engine make? If someone were to actually put time and effort into creating a truly badass rotary, just imagine the possibilities. Ya know, v8s haven't always been efficient and reliable. It took decades to get them were they are at. Millions of hours dedicated by tens of thousands of people. Rotary engines have not received the attention that your average engine has. I am a firm believer in open mindedness. I accept new ideas. I can't wait until someone finally decides to make a truly lethal rotary car. A 500 HP n/a monster that spins to 12k and doesn't have the problems modern rotary engines have. The need tweaking. But so did the almighty v8 50 years ago. Just a thought...
Old 09-30-2011, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 224 Likes on 173 Posts

Rotaries are torqueless wonders..hp doesnt do **** but sell cars.
I've driven a couple RX8's..not really impressed. I drove the new Camaro SS..not really impressed with that either. I'm not a biased person on it, but when it's junk, it's junk.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Well that's where we differ, Ive driven an rx8 and I loved it. It's ride and nimbleness just made the car for me. But I wouldnt trade my fbody for it. I definitely might wind up tryin to put a rotary on about 20 lbs of boost one day when I run out of **** to do. But for now, I'm gonna stick to the fbodies and admire the rotary from a distance.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what aviation materials cost... well some of them at least. My buddy who works in DFW at an un-named facility and is on this forum, just made a set of GTO fuel rail covers. He covered the oem covers with this carbon fiber **** they use on the space shuttle..lol Some kind of Carbon Fiber with a Titanium weave in it.. same **** on space shuttle and formula one cars... he says it costs $400 for a single square inch.. that's 1"x1"=$400 and he used like 3 or 4 sq/ft of it I think... Ill see if I can get him to post up some pics of them... if Im doing my math right, he used 48 sq inches of it @ $400 per inch... $19,200 worth of material.. lol .... Just thought I'd add that to this failed thread.. haha
Old 09-30-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
I know what aviation materials cost... well some of them at least. My buddy who works in DFW at an un-named facility and is on this forum, just made a set of GTO fuel rail covers. He covered the oem covers with this carbon fiber **** they use on the space shuttle..lol Some kind of Carbon Fiber with a Titanium weave in it.. same **** on space shuttle and formula one cars... he says it costs $400 for a single square inch.. that's 1"x1"=$400 and he used like 3 or 4 sq/ft of it I think... Ill see if I can get him to post up some pics of them... if Im doing my math right, he used 48 sq inches of it @ $400 per inch... $19,200 worth of material.. lol .... Just thought I'd add that to this failed thread.. haha
I'm sure his boss loved that use of materials .

Fuel rail covers worth more then the car they are on, lmao.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Puck
I'm sure his boss loved that use of materials .

Fuel rail covers worth more then the car they are on, lmao.

No ****!! Im trying to get him to post them up but he wont.... yet. They look sweet as hell though...
Old 10-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
No ****!! Im trying to get him to post them up but he wont.... yet. They look sweet as hell though...
I would like to see them just because. They sound badass. Anything you fabricate with your own two hands out of your own design is always just ******* cool. Even if no one else appreciates it, it still will always make you the happiest to know that you created the item yourself. Just wish I had the knowledge and required materials/tools to make whatever I wanted. A garage full of CNC machines, pipe benders, welders, plasma cutters, paint guns, air tools, raw materials, and the know how to use all of that **** would complete my life.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

I understand that people need to keep an open mind about new innovations and potentially good ideas, otherwise humanity doesn't progress.

But for God's sake Mississippi, rotary motors have been well known as junk for about 20 years now! This isn't a clever new idea that stubborn, repetitive people won't give a chance. This is an engineering turd that you for some reason can't stop embracing, even though you don't even own one.

And don't even get me started on titanium headers-- did it ever occur to you that there's about a thousand better ways to save a 15 pounds than that?? That's why no one's custom made titanium headers for f-bodies, its a blatantly stupid idea.

Every time I see another freaking wall of text that you post on this thread my stomach cringes. Give it a rest buddy, for your own sake.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Lol..

Old 10-01-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

I have pictures of his FRCs on my phone, Ill see if he will let me post them up...
Old 10-01-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Alright, I have permission to post them... Ill have them up in a little bit.. gotta get them onto photobucket...
Old 10-01-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

these are pretty much in order, they are far from complete and this is the first attempt at this type of design. It will be killer when completed...They will have the new "CAMARO" fender letters on them as well...

Old 10-01-2011, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

That's bad ***..
Old 10-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Badass...
Old 10-03-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

sweet fuel rail covers... but to OP if you wanted to make your f bod nice and nimble like a foreign car why'd you buy a convertible , having a hard top or t-top would of saved you the 15 pounds right there, as far as headers go though just buy some regular headers for the car and deal with it the 15 pounds isn't gonna be to much of a difference when you get rid of other weight on the car and add power but an f bod will never be as nimble as a vehicle like an rx8 or s2000, don't get me wrong you can make a great hgandling f bod but they're not gonna shrink in size just weight, then again though you won't have the joy of tq with those high reving foriegn **** engines, honda and v tec = fail and the rotary still fails till this day
Old 10-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Teching In

by the way----a square foot equals 144 sq inches--so 3 or 4 square feet======?????
Old 10-03-2011, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

A **** ton of tax payer money..lol
Old 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

oops... 1foot = 144 sq inches.. so that times 3, to stay on the low side... HOLY ****!!! that would be about 172K???? seems unrealistic but I believe the material he used may have been at the end of its shelf life as far as the Aero Industry is concerned... I didnt know this but until CF is encased in epoxy, it degrades over time and eventually will expire. Unless it is a structural part, most, if not all, of the carbon parts you guys buy are made of "expired" carbon fabric. At least thats what I got from the other manufacturers when I checked it out... I messaged my buddy and asked him...
Old 10-04-2011, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats were my taxs dollars went

Quick Reply: Weird Header Question....