LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 wont crank after opti install

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lt1 wont crank after opti install

So i just installed a new opti and EWP and i got rid of the AIR pump. Now the car wont crank. Anyone had this happen before? Not sure where to start looking. I forgot to plug the AIR pump holes from the AIR delete but i doubt this would be the problem.

What im thinking is maybe when i reinstalled the crank pulley, i probly rotated the clover thing holding it in place. You think this would cause any problems with the crank?? Or is my starter going bad?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

You mean the starter won't engage (that's what "crank" means)? Or do you mean it cranks, but won't start?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default me too

sorry for the jump in but,
my son took my car apart to do a cap and rotor.He destroyed the opti spark by trying to use a pry bar on the balancer. i have another guy putting it back together because Sam as been MIA for two days?
Anyway :
i got a new water pump and opti for install .i started it with the water pump off to be sure.Came in the next day and the new guy went at it with determination .Everything put back ,looked great.Problem is no spark?Tested the MSD ,new, coil and saw .6 on the meter with low setting,I have worked on my LS a bunch but this car was my son Mike's and he passed last year.I am just trying get get it derivable after the eldest son AAron beat the sh*t out of it ,wrecked it and left it
What could it be ? Grounds ?

thanks,
mike.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

rotated the clover thing? what thing? on the opti? what?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by zo6 vett
sorry for the jump in but,
my son took my car apart to do a cap and rotor.He destroyed the opti spark by trying to use a pry bar on the balancer.
Holy **** thats awesome failage haha. Lesson learned!

Anyways, when you turn the key do you hear the pump prime and all that? If not then you might want to check your fuses. If you do then you need to check the starter wireing to be correct. Ive heard some people can spin the ground wire onto something that wont let it get power when tightening it.

Hope some of this helps.

If the car Cranks but doesnt start, id say something wasnt lined up correctly between the opti and the camshaft, wires are crossed, ignition coil may not be hooked up properly.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shbox
You mean the starter won't engage (that's what "crank" means)? Or do you mean it cranks, but won't start?
yep, the starter wont seem to engage. It wont crank at all. It kinda sounds like if it hits something (stuck) and then absolutely nothing. Could it be that the crankshaft accidentaly rotated while the crank pulley was out? Or could the ignition coil cause this?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
rotated the clover thing? what thing? on the opti? what?
sorry, theres a pulley right in front of the opti that needs to be removed. Its the one on the crankshaft. Well in other words i spun that pulley (with the serpentine belt off) and i dont know if that caused the actual crank to spin and dislocated something inside. Maybe i messed with the top dead center (TDC). Is that possible?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

ok so i got some good news and bad news. Before calling it a day, i replaced the coil wire from the opti with a brand new one and tried starting the car again. This time it seemed to engage but all i heard was ticks. So when i tried rolling down the window, i noticed it rolled down slower than usuall (i had just replaced the motor a few months ago), and the lights would dim. So i plugged in my scan gauge and the battery read 9.2 and dropped to 9.1 until the gauge actually turned off. So i jump started the car and it FINALLY turned on. I had to give it a little gas at first cus it seemed it was gonna die.

Now for the bad news, i was getting white smoke from the exhaust. Before my opti died, i had no smoke whatsoever coming out from the rear. Smelled rich, but no smoke. I still havent plugged the AIR holes on the exhaust manifolds so i was getting what looks like a small torch flame coming out from the passenger side hole. But my concern was the white smoke coming out from the exhaust. Do you guys think the new electric water pump could have somehow raised the compression slightly to cause a head gasket to go out?
Tomorrow ill double check my plug wires and try turning it on again with the CAI and MAF connected to see if it helps out any. Ill also check to see if i have any codes thrown. You guys think its a head gasket?
Old 10-07-2011, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Default Fuel pump

Now that you said it,
No I don't hear it but I get not spark at coil either
Mike
Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Default fixed

double checked everything and then scaned it.no pcm?
turns out it was the RED power distribution box on the fender well.My buddy wiggled it while i was cranking and it fired .We had put dialectic and cleaned it a couple years ago so it looks clean but??
Man it sure was a bitch to figure the fuel pump wiring.I like my LS

mike
Old 10-07-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zlow28
ok so i got some good news and bad news. Before calling it a day, i replaced the coil wire from the opti with a brand new one and tried starting the car again. This time it seemed to engage but all i heard was ticks. So when i tried rolling down the window, i noticed it rolled down slower than usuall (i had just replaced the motor a few months ago), and the lights would dim. So i plugged in my scan gauge and the battery read 9.2 and dropped to 9.1 until the gauge actually turned off. So i jump started the car and it FINALLY turned on. I had to give it a little gas at first cus it seemed it was gonna die.

Now for the bad news, i was getting white smoke from the exhaust. Before my opti died, i had no smoke whatsoever coming out from the rear. Smelled rich, but no smoke. I still havent plugged the AIR holes on the exhaust manifolds so i was getting what looks like a small torch flame coming out from the passenger side hole. But my concern was the white smoke coming out from the exhaust. Do you guys think the new electric water pump could have somehow raised the compression slightly to cause a head gasket to go out?
Tomorrow ill double check my plug wires and try turning it on again with the CAI and MAF connected to see if it helps out any. Ill also check to see if i have any codes thrown. You guys think its a head gasket?

LOL wow. for real?

First, accidently spinning the crankshaft with the pulley off had nothing to do with the engine not starting. It doenst matter what position the engine is in, #1TDC, #3 TDC, etc.. anything. As long as the dowel went into the correct slot on the back of the opti its perfect.

sounds like you just had a dead battery causing the issue. Plug the AIR holes! Its letting in air which could throw off the o2 readings in the headers causing it to run rich. plug it up.

white smoke could be just condensation in the exhaust or in the engine. Like in the morning when grass gets wet. morning Dew. same with an engine. water or moiture in the pipes burning off. Or if its kind of cold out, your gonna see exhaust. Most of the time is perfectly normal.

The electric water pump will not cause a rise in compression. lol Plug up the holes, run the engine for a bit and let it warm up. Then go from there. Your jumping to conclusions WAYYY to fast dude. relax.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i guess i did. And youre right about the battery, ill probly get a red top soon. The holes on the manifolds where unplugged for like 2 minutes or less. I had completely forgotten to plug em. Its taken care of. Also, I checked the oil, and it was ok. plugs too. So im just gonna jump start it again and let it warm up and ill see if the smoke goes away.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

small update. Stayed late at work late and couldnt check the car until night time. So i jumpstarted her again and this time i got no smoke when it started. I let it warm up a bit and revved it a little to see if all the smoke was gone. And when i did, smoke came out again. A little less this time but it remained even when the car was fully warm.

I put my hand in the smoke/vapor and it left my hand moist, but it also smelled like smoke. I think im burning a little coolant. Ive heard seafoam helps clean up from the inside, but does anyone have any other suggestions or opinions?

I still havent ruled out bad heasgasket, but im hoping its something im overlooking.

Thanks again for any advice
Old 10-08-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

How much smoke are talking here? How many days did the car sit without running? Was it parked in a garage the whole time or outside? I still think it sounds like normal condensation just burning off to be honest and that your worrying about nothing. Are you able to take a video of it running with the smoke?
Old 10-08-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

its not a whole lot, but its noticeable. The car sat for between 2-3 weeks without being turned on. And probly around a week with the battery disconnected, if that matters any. All this time it has been outside with no cover or anything like that. Ill see if i can take a video of it today or tomorrow. I havent really had time to do much this week due to inventory at work.

Ill try to get a video up soon if it continues.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

ok so i bled the coolant and checked the oil level and it was all well. Then i turned the car on again, and this time it sounded more quiet than usuall. Kinda underpowered. I had the radiator cap off and bubbles showed up in the radiator (cold start). Went to the rear and i had a bunch of liquid spewing out of the exhaust tips. Looked and smelled like coolant. I checked the oil and it had jumped up to maybe twice the amount on the dipstick. It was also slighlty creamish but not like ive seen before. I had the same amount of smoke/vapor coming out but it was minimal this time.

So i guess i have a blown head gasket, but why is there no smoke anymore? I would expect a lot more smoke from a blown head gasket. Before i continue with replacing the gaskets, i still want to take a compression test. I had misfires in cylinder #2 and #8. "Service engine" light was flashing, and it read p0300, p1641, and p1642. Anyone know what the last 2 are?

I also took a small clip of the exhaust tips at idle, and pics of the oil dipstick. Ill post em up in a minute, but the sun makes em look a little different.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Heres some pics of the oil dipstick. The last one is a clip of the cars exhaust. The smoke/vapor didnt come out cus its barely noticeable now. But it is spitting plenty of fluid and it smeeled like coolant and kinda dark greenish (unless it was just in my head)

Old 10-12-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

I forgot to take a pic of the oil dipstick before turning the car on, but it was on the 4th dot (highest one). It jumped once the car turned on, and coolant level dropped a bit. However if i have a blown head gasket, shouldnt i have a lot more smoke coming out of the exhaust?

Quick Reply: Lt1 wont crank after opti install