LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

compression and boost question with a cometics head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
"stock" heads but "beefed up valves"???????????????????????

Do you mean stock castings reworked and ported or genui9nely stock castings with aftermarket valves? Ported stock castings can be a GREAT option for most builds. Putting aftermarket valves in an otherwise untouched head is just pissing money into the wind.
thats it.... thats what im hearing... i guess everything but valves lol
Old 10-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

with water injection on a turbo you wouldnt run more boost??? From my understanding the boost on a turbo was more linear so its safer to run more as opposed to supercharging where theres little to no lag. why is it theese tuner kids are running 30 psi on this jap motors with stock bottom end all day?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LT1's & Hondas have nothing in common.

The stock LT1 piston has been known to fail at 8# even with a conservative tune.
A good piston will survive much more boost.

You will not significantly lower compression with a thicker than stock gasket as thay are already approx .050. I would also not go thinner to raise compression, no matter how much better the quench is.

Building the motor with the proper quench & an appropriate compression is advised... but reducing quench while raising compression is not something I would consider on forced induction.

If you blew a gasket due to detonation, I doubt the stock pistons would have survived the ordeal.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is what i was thinking... im pretty sure im just gonna putt he motor and do forged pistons and rods... low compression** with good heads and a turbo cam... not sure how much boost can i run with it all but ill figure it all out as i go
Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
LT1's & Hondas have nothing in common.

The stock LT1 piston has been known to fail at 8# even with a conservative tune.
A good piston will survive much more boost.

You will not significantly lower compression with a thicker than stock gasket as thay are already approx .050. I would also not go thinner to raise compression, no matter how much better the quench is.

Building the motor with the proper quench & an appropriate compression is advised... but reducing quench while raising compression is not something I would consider on forced induction.

If you blew a gasket due to detonation, I doubt the stock pistons would have survived the ordeal.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by popethe5th
with water injection on a turbo you wouldnt run more boost??? From my understanding the boost on a turbo was more linear so its safer to run more as opposed to supercharging where theres little to no lag. why is it theese tuner kids are running 30 psi on this jap motors with stock bottom end all day?
How come Nascar V8's make 800 HP and ours make 250.

Its apple to Oranges but saying what you said is probably one of the most idiotic things I've seen on here. I don't have first hand experience with boost so saying this might rub some people the wrong way. But don't come on here saying what you would do with an Obvious show of NO RESEARCH or CLUE wtf your talking about is just well ******* RETARDED

you can put 30 LB in your LT1.........Make sure you get a video of it for us.....
Old 10-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

ok water meth is going to decrease charge air temp and increase octane, so is it not true that you can raise boost levels safely with chemical intercooling?

Theres no need to be a ***** about it i admitted that I was dead wrong but you cant tell me you woke up one day and knew everything. I didnt grow up around racing im the only person in my family who dosent believe a car is just a car. I also have 0 expirence in stock LT1's because my is stroked, with forged internals, JE dish pistons, amongst many other goodies. It was made to handle the 15 pounds that I cram down its throat.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

If your dead wrong and don't know why don't you ask questions instead? And you JUST admitted your dead wrong but you don't need to admit that everyone here knows

No i wasn't born knowing it all but I research a ton on this forum and a lot of others and have talked via PM's to a lot of the guys who know what they are doing ( Joe, Mike, im sure I'm missing others I have PM'd asking for info)

Your motor is built for boost it but even your motor won't hold 30 pounds of boost.......

Last edited by Lawhead; 10-23-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok water meth is going to decrease charge air temp and increase octane, so is it not true that you can raise boost levels safely with chemical intercooling?

Theres no need to be a ***** about it i admitted that I was dead wrong but you cant tell me you woke up one day and knew everything. I didnt grow up around racing im the only person in my family who dosent believe a car is just a car. I also have 0 expirence in stock LT1's because my is stroked, with forged internals, JE dish pistons, amongst many other goodies. It was made to handle the 15 pounds that I cram down its throat.
Then quit ******* giving advice!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gregrob
Then quit ******* giving advice!!!
One of those rare times when I am 100% spot-on in agreement with your choice of words !
Old 10-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

wow pure douschebaggery going on here. i was giving advice on what i know ive always been told you can run more boost when going turbo as opposed to SC. no my motor will not take 30 it barley takes 15 i fully expect it to come apart soon so that i can go lsx
Old 10-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

I also give advice because in order to sell on the forum you have to have 50 posts and the more posts you have seem to give you credibility on here so sorry for the poor advise ill try not to let it happen again. I would like to think I have given some good advise in the diagnostic threads as its what I do for a living.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

wow pure douschebaggery going on here. i was giving advice on what i know ive always been told you can run more boost when going turbo as opposed to SC. no my motor will not take 30 it barley takes 15 i fully expect it to come apart soon so that i can go lsx
LMFAO but stock can take 20!?!?!

Just stop now
Old 10-25-2011, 04:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also give advice because in order to sell on the forum you have to have 50 posts and the more posts you have seem to give you credibility on here so sorry for the poor advise ill try not to let it happen again. I would like to think I have given some good advise in the diagnostic threads as its what I do for a living.
I don't even know where to begin, so I just underlined all of the LOL parts. A few parts in bold are worth a special mention also.

Quick Reply: compression and boost question with a cometics head gasket