LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Are these fine headers for a CARB compliant vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these fine headers for a CARB compliant vehicle?

Hi,
I need some headers for my 1994 firebird but they have to be CARB compliant as I live in California. I was thinking these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200658139002...84.m1423.l2649

Would these give me some ok gains over the stock ones while still being CARB compliant? Let me know. Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

>50 states emissions legal, CARB #D-439-6
Compliant? Yes. Gains? Not so much. Only long tubes are worth money and frustration in performance.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
... Only long tubes are worth money and frustration in performance.
I don't agree with that at all. Plus he has no real choice if he wants headers. He can't do long tubes in CA.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

those mid length headers will be an improvement over stock exhaust manifolds.

on smog check, especially at Test Only, I have had the tech look up the CARB # to verify and confirm that corresponding part # was on the header. In most cases the shop just wants the $49....

There is always the $300 "alternate" test if you can find that situation.

OP, get those headers ceramic coated. They will last longer and keep your under hood temps down. I have always used Jet Hot but there are others
Old 10-24-2011, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

In my opinion if you are looking for gains move on to the next modification or throw on a set of long-tubes instead. If you are doing it for the quality of the manifold and the sound contributed from them, then go for it bud. I live in California as well, and believe me the smog checks and inspections are brutal. I always keep my stock parts and put them on when the inspection is coming to a near, just to avoid the harassment from the smog referee. The whole problem with long-tubes as to why they do not smog, is because the catalytic converters (if used) are located too far down the exhaust stream. Not only that they use a long path of thin tubes. This is awesome for scavenging exhaust gasses and making power, however bad for smog. This creates a cooling effect which doesn't allow the catalytic converters to reach proper operating temp or proper cat "light off". So with your cats not exactly doing their job since the temperature isn't there, your 5 gasses that they test for are going to be elevated. Also be careful with the ceramic coating, since that can have the same effect. Good luck bud.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Long tubes move the position of the cats. Federal law does not allow that. Simple as that. Long tubes are not legal anywhere, except off road. Whether state/local jurisdiction allows them is up to them.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

What you can do for the greatest benefit is flange the catalytic converter and a straight pipe. That way you can bolt on the cat when needing to pass e-check and use the straight pipe for all other activities.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ANY header upgrade over the factory logs are worth it.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Alright thanks for the help guys, I went ahead and got them as my drivers side stock manifold is broken anyways and I need to smog soon. thanks for the help and maybe I'll notice a little difference! We'll see.

Quick Reply: Are these fine headers for a CARB compliant vehicle?