LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Damn. Brand new rear main seal is leaking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1963SS
I went to my brother-in-laws house last year and every night I'd pour about a cup of oil under his car. In the evening he'd be out cleaning the oil and jacking up his car to look for leaks. I did this for about a week and then just quit. Maybe someone doing this to you.
I am gonna be that friend, thank you for this informative post.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so is it a sixspeed car? if its an auto i would just leave it till after ur dyno then fix it. if it is a standard thats another story. dont want that crap all over a clutch
Old 11-27-2011, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Turns out it's the Moroso pan that was leaking! The washer for the drain plug doesn't sit flush against the opening so I have to use nylon washers every time I change the oil and the oil level sensor plug had to be filed down cause that was leaking as well.

Now I have one last leak and that's in the front between the gasket and the pan.

Starting to think this Moroso pan was made in China with all it's issues.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, in the largest majority of builds, the stock oilpan is more than sufficient if you add a bolt-on windage tray (preferably a diamond stripper tray).

You really have some serious criteria to justify a lot of the aftermarket pans (such as road racing as the primary reason for the buildup in the first place).

It certainly usually won't hurt to run an aftermarket pan, but I highly doubt a lot of people can point at thier stock oil pan and blame it for an oiling issue.

It wouldn't be so bad, but how the hell do they justify the cost for the pans that are out there. These are not one-off specific application pans, but mass produced common-application pans. Then to run into issues that a lot of people do, doesn't justify the high cost.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Turns out it's the Moroso pan that was leaking! The washer for the drain plug doesn't sit flush against the opening so I have to use nylon washers every time I change the oil and the oil level sensor plug had to be filed down cause that was leaking as well.
That's pretty much standard on all aftermarket oil pans.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Not my beloved Canton.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
Honestly, in the largest majority of builds, the stock oilpan is more than sufficient if you add a bolt-on windage tray (preferably a diamond stripper tray).

You really have some serious criteria to justify a lot of the aftermarket pans (such as road racing as the primary reason for the buildup in the first place).

It certainly usually won't hurt to run an aftermarket pan, but I highly doubt a lot of people can point at thier stock oil pan and blame it for an oiling issue.

It wouldn't be so bad, but how the hell do they justify the cost for the pans that are out there. These are not one-off specific application pans, but mass produced common-application pans. Then to run into issues that a lot of people do, doesn't justify the high cost.
I bought it cause at the increased rpms I was concerned about oil starvation so I was looking for a pan that can hold a little more and keep the oil where it needs to be. The windage tray was a bonus. Hopefully I can fix this damn front oil leak and be done with it.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I'd say standard for any aftermarket part. Seem like most companies use us as their R&D. I've seen it in AFR Aluminum heads, Wilwood brakes and all kinds of camshafts that one would think should be perfect.

Al 95 Z28

Quick Reply: Damn. Brand new rear main seal is leaking.