LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

F#ck Optis...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opti delete will be when I drop an LSx into my lt1 car lol I see no benefit of keeping the lt1, I love my ls1 10x more.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy washed the LT1 in his 93 and it took a **** I asked the master GM tech at our shop about where to get a good one 1st thing out of his mouth was If hes runnin an MSD box itll fry em So i ask are all the failures you guys are gettin from running an msd or mallory etc... I know its nice if your runnin nitrous or boosted But if its installed properly & with loctite It shouldnt fail so damn much Unless your gettin a reman part Just my 2 cents
Old 11-02-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's the proper way to install an opti?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 155 Likes on 119 Posts

Clean and aligned on the splines correctly.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

I dont have the factory manual in front of me right this minute but It needs to be in the correct hole & correct length on the cams dowel pin too and use loctite blue on everything I used to be the worlds worst about over tightening **** till i broke a stud off in my new dart II sportsman heads back in the day Another good measure is to replace the water pump at the same time & make sure the opti harness isnt crispy or grounding out Use the wire loom stuff like the factory did atleast if its got the potential to rub on ****
Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
My buddy washed the LT1 in his 93 and it took a **** I asked the master GM tech at our shop about where to get a good one 1st thing out of his mouth was If hes runnin an MSD box itll fry em So i ask are all the failures you guys are gettin from running an msd or mallory etc... I know its nice if your runnin nitrous or boosted But if its installed properly & with loctite It shouldnt fail so damn much Unless your gettin a reman part Just my 2 cents
I had one but didnt notice a difference so i took it off. that was afew years ago too. After 2 dead optis..
Old 11-02-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by whytryz28
My opti delete will be when I drop an LSx into my lt1 car lol I see no benefit of keeping the lt1, I love my ls1 10x more.
Yup I figured build a 383 or 396 LTx and if it takes a **** then I will get 6.0 or 6.2 truck motor and build a 427 stroker motor with Fbody accessories and a FAST intake Right now Im on the body work stage So itll look pretty LoL Right now its cheaper to build what Ive got
Old 11-03-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lethal bird
Mean lt1... Because you still need a working optishit for the ltcc swap to work.
Understood. However, how often does the resolution side go out?. 95% of opti failures come from the cap and rotor/mis-installment. I know everybody is going to have opinion on the subject. I see no gain in putting the 24x system in my car. My opti works fine up to 7200.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by whytryz28
I was starting to question that myself... It might be more beneficial if i were to just swap a 5.3 or something into her
Old 11-03-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you converted to a vented style opti yet? When i swapped my motor in this year i went to a vented and so far knock on wood its been mint. Even put on a used Delco opti too Just a crazy hot day this year in stop and go rush hour traffic it cutout on me a couple times which was a result of icm heatsoak so i spaced it out and had zero issues afterwards. Took a 8hr treck each way which some traffic and no problems. I have had my bad luck and soon as i found a deal on a used 24x kit i jumped on it so that i have i had incase something happened this year but its my next years mod to get it on and say good bye to the opti
Old 11-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Teching In

When i replaced my opti i went ahead and pulled the timing chain cover and replaced the seals. oil leaks, and water pump gaskets leaking seem to be the death of a lot of opti's, that and improper installation

I went with the accel, works great
Old 11-04-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 383 Z
When i replaced my opti i went ahead and pulled the timing chain cover and replaced the seals. oil leaks, and water pump gaskets leaking seem to be the death of a lot of opti's, that and improper installation

I went with the accel, works great
Accel is the worst opti you could buy and there is a reason its cheap. Ive put two aftermarket opti's on my car and ive learned not to cheap out and got a Delco.

I do highly suggest if your having that many issues with it you should convert to a vented style opti and make sure all your vent hoses and clean and you can see a light out of the one with the check valve. They tend to clog up and if there isnt any air getting out you i will have issues.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
And FYI 24x is good but just wait till you start haveing coil packs go out on you and your spending 40-80 each coil. if not more

No way would I ever pay that for a coil, when I did my setup I got all 8 truck coils for around $120 shipped. If you are on this website you better never pay more than $20 a coil.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 155 Likes on 119 Posts

GM Coils are pretty damn good..the MSD ones for any LS application are garbage..dont work.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
Im with yeh brother it ******* sucks... ive had my car 4-5 yrs (Got it at 200k) and since then and ive had two go out on me and zero icm or coil issues. I did have the ignition switch on the column go out on me too. After all the ******* money i spend on this car opti ***** put me over the edge. Ive almost parted the car twice as it was intermittent issues. I had a heatsoaked icm this year so ive spaced it out since then has no issues. I found a great deal on a used 24x kit on the forum classifieds and getting all of my pieces together so when it does **** the bed i have the ultimate fix to give a big **** you to the opti!
Is the IG switch goning out common? I'm at 158K and the switch is starting to go out, it takes a few times trying before it cranks.

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
I'm aobout to install a mallory IG box, same question, does adding an IG box kill the opti?

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
Have you converted to a vented style opti yet? When i swapped my motor in this year i went to a vented and so far knock on wood its been mint. Even put on a used Delco opti too Just a crazy hot day this year in stop and go rush hour traffic it cutout on me a couple times which was a result of icm heatsoak so i spaced it out and had zero issues afterwards. Took a 8hr treck each way which some traffic and no problems. I have had my bad luck and soon as i found a deal on a used 24x kit i jumped on it so that i have i had incase something happened this year but its my next years mod to get it on and say good bye to the opti
My opti has gone bad once only, swapped to a vented one, Delco, and no issues..... yet.

Originally Posted by the_merv
GM Coils are pretty damn good..the MSD ones for any LS application are garbage..dont work.
I tried the LT1 MSD coil, didn't last long, went back to stock and its still running. Also had the opti go out before the coil, not sure if the MSD coil caused it.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

i'm in the same boat. mine has started to give me trouble now too. first my car dies turning left at a light with a bunch of cars behind me honking like im some idiot who doesnt know how to drive. then dying at a stop sign numerous times.

i'm trying to stomach building a 408 LQ9 for next year and swapping it, HAH.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:06 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

The opti pickup and window wheel is actually a good and reliable component-and it's a relatively precision device. It's the rotor and all the high voltage flying around in there that screws things up. Add some moisture/water to the mix and you're hood up on the side of the road.

Moving to the LTCC system is the next step up in reliability-and it definitely helps engine response. It's the only thing that made my '94 a daily driver.

Of course, if I had a LT1 car and had to do it all over today, the EFI24x system would be number one on my to do list.

If you go with the LTCC system, specify LS2 coil plugs and use LS2 coils, they out perform the LS1 coils. You cannot use the round heat-sinked truck coils with the LTCC system.

And yes, the MSD LS coils are crap.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camar0corey
No way would I ever pay that for a coil, when I did my setup I got all 8 truck coils for around $120 shipped. If you are on this website you better never pay more than $20 a coil.
I paid 55 shipped for mine.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Im surprised with the amount of responses to this post. Theres a good bit of information on here.

I was thinking about just biting the bullet and doing an LSx swap. However, after much research i found that there is alot more to it then one would think. Im scouring for a used 24x kit. If not then buying it new it is. I heard that theres afew tricks to the 94' harness that ill have to tackle to get it to mate up properly. Good thing im up for that challenge.

At any rate im going to attempt to get it done before the weather really turns nasty. Another upside of the 24x setup is that i can always turn around and sell it
Old 11-04-2011, 10:27 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

You guys might discover the cheep new coils that end up on ebay for 20 bucks were rejected by GM. These rejects then get dumped to the surplus market and eventually make their way to ebay.

Go buy a 50 cent light bulb at Pep Boys. Go home. Submit the online survey. Print out the 10% coupon. Go back to Pep Boys and buy new boxed coils-with a warranty. Use your 10% coupon.

Quick Reply: F#ck Optis...