LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT1 alternator question

I need to replace the alternator on my 96 LT1 Camaro, I pulled the stock one off and compared it to the one I bought off eBay and the mounting positions are 180 degrees off on the new one.

I emailed the seller and it turns out he listed the auction incorrectly, and the alternator is actually off a LT1 vette.

Now he is telling me that I can unbolt the back of the alternator and rotate it 180 degrees to match the mounting points on my LT1. Is this true? Any cons from doing this compared to my alternator? Any pros over using a vette alternator?

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, that is common for the 140amp alternators, you need to re-clock the housings.

An other thing to look for is the eyelet on the small end may be threaded, not a thru hole like the stock alternator. If that is the case then you will have to drill it out to use the stock bolt.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
No, that is common for the 140amp alternators, you need to re-clock the housings.

An other thing to look for is the eyelet on the small end may be threaded, not a thru hole like the stock alternator. If that is the case then you will have to drill it out to use the stock bolt.
Can you explain the process in detail - what exactly needs to be done? If it's too much of a hassle, I am going to ship it back and get a correct one.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2011, 04:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's too much of a hassle. The seller messed it up, make him make it right.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
It's too much of a hassle. The seller messed it up, make him make it right.
That's what I wanted to be sure of..thanks!
Old 11-24-2011, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Got another problem..

I got the right alternator this time, but I noticed that my old alternator has a bolt on the backside where the positive side of the battery is grounded to; the new one doesn't have this bolt.

Is is possible to take the bolt off my old one or ground that connection elsewhere?

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

The alternator is supposed to have a stud where you hook up the positive battery cable.

If that is missing you got an improper rebuilt alternator.

It is a stud that needs to be bolted from the inside. It is a special stud as it is square on the inside where it fits into the positive side of the bridge rectifier (and also connects to the regulator internally).

Send it back and have they give you a properly built unit.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just go get an AC delco unit and be done with it. Get the last 8 numbers of your vin call a chevy dealer and ask for a price which will be insanly high and ask them for the correct part number and search one out. I use a web site called car-part.com great parts in wreaking yards all over the country for cheap. Check it out. Why couldn't u just get a nut and bolt and a ring connector and secure it to the lug. Done deal?
Old 11-25-2011, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
Just go get an AC delco unit and be done with it. Get the last 8 numbers of your vin call a chevy dealer and ask for a price which will be insanly high and ask them for the correct part number and search one out. I use a web site called car-part.com great parts in wreaking yards all over the country for cheap. Check it out. Why couldn't u just get a nut and bolt and a ring connector and secure it to the lug. Done deal?
Thats what im trying to figure out...can i just put in a bolt and use that as a ground? The way the previous poster explained it, it seems like itll have to use that stud?

I tried buying it off ebay and got the second one here off tech to save some money but if i cant get this one working then ima just go ahead and get one from NAPA or something.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

My bad i misunderstood i thought we were talking about the power connection lug on the back. Sorry.

Quick Reply: LT1 alternator question