LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ICM keeps dieing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Al
I'm going to attempt to help you. Hook your meter directly across the battery and tell me the voltage it reads. Engine off, key off.

The ICM has four wires going to it. Put the red lead from your meter on the positive battery terminal and the black lead on ICM terminal A. You can unclip the back of the connector, pull out the rubber seal and get a small wire in the connector with it still plugged into the ICM. Do not unplug the connector from the ICM. With the key on engine off what's the voltage reading?

With the black wire of the meter on the negative battery terminal and the red lead on terminal C of the ICM what's the voltage? Again, key on engine off.

You can't really get any good information on terminal B or D of the ICM with your meter so don't waste time with it.

Are you running the stock coil?

Post the information and I'll get back to you.

Al 95 Z28
I'm going to attempt to help you. Hook your meter directly across the battery and tell me the voltage it reads. Engine off, key off.
17.86v

The ICM has four wires going to it. Put the red lead from your meter on the positive battery terminal and the black lead on ICM terminal A. You can unclip the back of the connector, pull out the rubber seal and get a small wire in the connector with it still plugged into the ICM. Do not unplug the connector from the ICM. With the key on engine off what's the voltage reading? =
16.52v

With the black wire of the meter on the negative battery terminal and the red lead on terminal C of the ICM what's the voltage? Again, key on engine off. =
0.02v

You can't really get any good information on terminal B or D of the ICM with your meter so don't waste time with it.

Are you running the stock coil?
Yes
Old 11-12-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Something is just not right. A battery is not going to put out that high of a voltage.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shbox
Something is just not right. A battery is not going to put out that high of a voltage.
how much voltage should a battery put out ?
sorry for the stupid question
Old 11-12-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

i see battery should put out atleast 12v. Correct?
Old 11-12-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A battery lead acid car battery is a nominal 12v. You could see small variations to either side of that. The altenator would only show @ 13.8-14.4 volts if the vehicle was running and that would be the highest reading you could/should EVER get.

Unhook all the cables etc rom the battery and test across the terminals and see what you have, if its still high there is an issue within the battery!
Old 11-12-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

The test with the red meter lead on the positive battery post and the black meter lead on ICM terminal A is wrong. Check it again, key on, engine off. If you get the same reading, check positive of the battery to the B terminal of the coil.

Al 95 Z28
Old 11-12-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc212k
how much voltage should a battery put out ?
sorry for the stupid question
A 12v battery is made up of 6 cells of 2.1v each, connected in series. That would be 12.6v in a perfect world.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

A 12v battery is made up of 6 cells of 2.1v each, connected in series. That would be 12.6v in a perfect world.
I'm thinking it's his meter. No problem, that's why I asked for battery voltage, so I can scale his other readings

Al 95 Z28 went 12.31 yesterday. Now if I could only learn to tune it
Old 11-13-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

im getting about 15.76v with battery cold and out of the car.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

tell you what guys. ignore all my previous results.
you guys are the best. i went ahead and bout a new multimeter.

i got new results.
Opti harness terminlas A to D with key on ignition. car off.

A - 5.03v
B - 5.03v
C - 11.68V
D - 0.03v

Battery with or without cables read 12V.

im going to test the the ICM like Big Al Stated.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I restested with new multimeter.

Disconnected the ICM connector. Leave coil connected.
Turn key to ON.
Check for dc voltage with a digital meter at harness terminal "A" to ground and and also "D" to ground.

i received 11.68 volts on both

If you have good voltage, switch the meter to ac scale and connect test leads to terminal "B" and to ground. Observe meter while cranking the engine. You should see beeived 1-4 volts while cranking.
tween 1 and 4 volts ac (those are the pulses that trigger the coil to fire).

I got around 1-4 volts AC
Old 11-14-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

anything else i should check guys?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Now that you have the correct results.......
Are you using Delco parts? That would be my only guess, plenty of thermal grease on back?
The only other thing that comes to mind is on the ICM harness (because that is where the problem shows) did you verify those numbers to the harness ground? Sometimes that ground becomes compromised and you will see correct numbers to chasis ground and not in the harness.

In testing the ICM make them run the test 5 times consecutively. If there is a weak spot in it, it should show by the 4th test.

I had an oddity and couldnt find it and assumed it was ICM related because it would only do it after the car got hot, not a closed loop problem just a thermal situation. EVERYTHING pointed to ICM. I checked everything and kept double checking and could never get it to do anything out of the ordinary. I would get an occasional SES low res code so I then turned my attention to the opti. Sure enough when it got hot, it had failure just as an ICM would have. It was a bitch to find but I waited til it did it (in my driveway) and then did all the tests and noticed the AC pulse wasnt toggling. I replaced the opti and it is all better with no recurrent codes or signs. Just another thought for you.
I also HAVE NEVER seen an LT1 that didnt need work on the grounds located behind the coil to the head. The ring terminal become weak and break, or in most cases crack.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gatorhead
Now that you have the correct results.......
Are you using Delco parts? That would be my only guess, plenty of thermal grease on back?
The only other thing that comes to mind is on the ICM harness (because that is where the problem shows) did you verify those numbers to the harness ground? Sometimes that ground becomes compromised and you will see correct numbers to chasis ground and not in the harness.

In testing the ICM make them run the test 5 times consecutively. If there is a weak spot in it, it should show by the 4th test.

I had an oddity and couldnt find it and assumed it was ICM related because it would only do it after the car got hot, not a closed loop problem just a thermal situation. EVERYTHING pointed to ICM. I checked everything and kept double checking and could never get it to do anything out of the ordinary. I would get an occasional SES low res code so I then turned my attention to the opti. Sure enough when it got hot, it had failure just as an ICM would have. It was a bitch to find but I waited til it did it (in my driveway) and then did all the tests and noticed the AC pulse wasnt toggling. I replaced the opti and it is all better with no recurrent codes or signs. Just another thought for you.
I also HAVE NEVER seen an LT1 that didnt need work on the grounds located behind the coil to the head. The ring terminal become weak and break, or in most cases crack.
Im not using Delco parts. the 1st time i took the ICM to test it. its failed on the 2nd time. So then i got 2nd one and that one seems to not work properly.
Both were not ACDelco parts. I do get recurrent codes. which lead me to change it to a remanufactured. meh i know bad idea. i will replace the ground wires going to coil. i was also thinking of placing the ICM in another location. as long as the ICM wire reaches and the grounds reach. relocation should be fine, right? i will put it by the fender side by the headers or the engine bay drivers side. just to have it cool off quicker.

i will end up buying an ACDelco part after i see better results without it dieing.
might as well get it running without being scared of what can happen next. il keep yall update.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

I get my ICM's from autozone cause they have a life time warranty
Old 11-15-2011, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

I had a similar problem years ago using an ICM from Advance Auto. My car would run and drive until it got up to temp and then the car would stall. It would not start back up until I replaced the ICM with a new one. I replaced the Advanced one 3 times and still had the same result so they ended up just giving me my money back and I went with a used AC delco one I bought from camaroz28.com and it has not died since. It has been working for over 7 years without an issue. I still to this day though carry a spare ICm in the hatch just in case as I chased this problem for nearly 6 months. I would replace yours with an AC delco unit.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got mine from Oreilly's Auto Parts. Im going to go over there and let them know its been more then 3 times ive replaced the part which has lifetime warranty.
For the opti they told me they would replace it for the last time and for next time they would give me my money back. so maybe they will do that for the ICM, lol. then i get money back and get the ACDelco ICM. lol
Old 11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did notice that when i got the new ICM. It came with come dielectric paste. installed the ICM and got the same results of the car stalling. so maybe dielectric paste not working good enough.
can that cause me issues due to the fact that the dielectric paste is not doing its job so well?

Last edited by davidc212k; 11-17-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

so todayi spliced new ground wires that are by the ICM the yellow and the black and the ground. out of the sudden after not turning the car on for 1 week. the rpm idles at 1350 and sometimes drops. what can cause this. bad opti, ICM, IAC or TPS?
Old 11-19-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by davidc212k
so todayi spliced new ground wires that are by the ICM the yellow and the black and the ground. out of the sudden after not turning the car on for 1 week. the rpm idles at 1350 and sometimes drops. what can cause this. bad opti, ICM, IAC or TPS?
i found out that the connection to the IAC is brocken. which is whats causing the high idle.

I also noticed that when car stalls or dies, i loose spark. even after letting it rest for 30 minutes. still no spark. i tested with an extra coil and still no go.

all thats left to test is ICM and Opti. Has anyone ever bought the chandler optispark? are they any good? as for the ICM i will go acdelco.

Quick Reply: ICM keeps dieing?