LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 swap in my 91 RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RhizzleDizzle
Man your RS is so clean. Love the whole combo. I'd love to have a clean swapped 3rd gen.
Thanks man!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Today out of the blue it was almost 60 degrees today(average has been about 15), So I decided to try and work out a few kinks that I had with the first start up. I dont have an o2 bung in the passenger side header so I zipped ties the o2 into place for now since I dont have my y-pipe made yet, it was super rich out of that header on the first start up.

After adding all the fluids I fired it up and let it warm up a bit, and found a few minor problems.

- I need a new PS resevoir cap, it keeps oozing out when I start the car.

- Neither fan turned on. I let it warm up to about 230 before shutting it down. I had them tuned to come on at 185 and 200. Probably just a sensor or relay, havent looked into it much yet.

- Has a mis-fire, might be because its strait out of the shorties right now. Whole ign. system is brand new so I dont think its related to that, but definatly a posibility.

- Fuel pressure seemed a little low. During idle I was pushing just under 40 lbs. Before I think it was about 44 lbs give or take.

Like I said just minor stuff. Im gunna take it to the exhaust shop and then figure out my little kinks. But on a side note, I was able to move the car forward and reverse under its own power
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Not much to report, but I have been working on the car quite a bit lately. I really wanted to get my ebrake working again, so I found some used calipers with the ebrake tab and spring im missing and a disk prop valve from a 91 Formula. My ebrake cables were about 3" too long so I had to improvise alittle bit

I had to clip off the cable end and pcked up a few throttle body cable claps and put 2 on each cable, should hold just fine. Had to drop the driveshaft to gain good access to it.

Also figured while I was at it i would do alittle painting. Bought a small can of Rustoleum brush paint at Ace. Looks good after a few thick coats.

Before:

After:

Didnt take the time to tape off around the rotor like I should have so I got a few spots to lightly sand, but it looks so much better than before. Still need to make my way to the exhaust shop to get my y-pipe fabbed uo, since I cant seem to find one that bolts to my Edlebrock TES shorties, which is weird. But hopefully have the exhuast done before March.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Launching!

Well I actually managed to take it for a test drive, with spring weather soon approaching I decided to get my car out of my parents garage and over to my appartment on Saturday. I have to say, ive pictured myself on the first test drive many times in my head and none of them went anything like this. I attempted to go through the yard and got stuck right away(Ill post a picture later, looks like the mullet mobile).

But anyway, theres a few tweeks I still have to do. Theres a bad vacuum leak somewhere I can hear it hissing by my air filter, so the idle is at 2500 constantly. Plus my throttle cable is about 1/4" too short, so that makes the idle go up to almost 3K. Brakes need more work, coolant system needs bled, headers need retorqued. Just little things. But one thing is for sure, it ran like crap on the 1 mile drive to my house. It shook so bad it almost felt like my driveshaft is out of balance or something.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cprmn14
Well I actually managed to take it for a test drive, with spring weather soon approaching I decided to get my car out of my parents garage and over to my appartment on Saturday. I have to say, ive pictured myself on the first test drive many times in my head and none of them went anything like this. I attempted to go through the yard and got stuck right away(Ill post a picture later, looks like the mullet mobile).

But anyway, theres a few tweeks I still have to do. Theres a bad vacuum leak somewhere I can hear it hissing by my air filter, so the idle is at 2500 constantly. Plus my throttle cable is about 1/4" too short, so that makes the idle go up to almost 3K. Brakes need more work, coolant system needs bled, headers need retorqued. Just little things. But one thing is for sure, it ran like crap on the 1 mile drive to my house. It shook so bad it almost felt like my driveshaft is out of balance or something.
Word of advice dont get adead of yourself just because your near the end, happend to me and had a mess in my hands, I know how bad you want it done! I was there
Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Launching!

No I hear you, Ive paid the price plenty of times during this build for rushing some things. Just going to take it one problem at a time. I didnt even want to drive it quite yet but I needed to move it down the street about a mile and didnt feel like loading it.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:27 PM

Default Nice car.

Nice ride. Seems like that body style Camaro RS has lots of engine bay room to play with. See my pic to see what a 1996 Camaro RS looks like with a LT1 installed.
Attached Thumbnails LT1 swap in my 91 RS-lt1.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Wow this thread has sat for awhile, sorry about that but as most of you know sometimes life gets in the way. But I have been working on it on the weekends or whenever I get extra time. But im having a problem with the cooling system I cant figure out. It steadily rises to 220, then just keeps climbing.I pressure tested the system and held 19lbs for 3 min without dropping a bit, Ive burped the system at least a dozen times. Lower rad hose is hot so the thermostat is opening I believe, but it is cooler than the upper so im wondering if the Autozone WP is crap. But I have driven it a few times. Shifts good and throttle responce feels ok. But it has bad hesitation and sometimes backfires under light load at idle. I tested the fuel pressure today, and im getting 40ibs at prime, holds at 40(sometimes it will randomly loose FP and drop to 0 at prime). Holds at about 35-37lbs at idle, and when I give it throttle it drops to 32-34 ibs. I think all those numbers seem alittle below spec but maybe not.

Im really getting the itch now that ive driven it around, so hopefully work slows down alittle so I can get some weekends to work on it. Even though its not much of an update I thought id keep you guys in the loop. And if you guys have a few suggestions on my issues that would be awesome.

Ill post some pics when I find my camera, I know this thread has very few. lol
Old 08-07-2013, 06:30 AM
Launching!

I just finished up my compression test and it reads as follow:

8-200 7-195

6-200 5-140

4-208 3-190

2-205 1-200

Everything looked fine until I tested cylinder 5, but when I was testing #5 I had to remove the headers, and while cranking to build cylinder pressure I noticed a mist coming from cyl #1... It smelt like fuel, does that mean the exhaust valve is not seated or bad push rod adjustment? When I did my head gasket a few years back I think I stripped the threads out of a few head bolts or the block. So I think thats where the bad compression is coming from. Im going to give it a leak down test in the near future, but I wanted your guys opinion on the fuel from cyl #1 exhaust valve while testing cyl #5?..

I appreciate any help, thanks guys

Quick Reply: LT1 swap in my 91 RS