LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Enough to make you mad

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

sigh lol. no, i knew it was wrong.

They wanted me to bring the hood back on the car. After getting home i decieded a headlight cover would be enough and took it back with the cover as a reference.

I dunno, i guess its 6 of one and half dozen of the other on weather its my fault or not. Im going to try not to worry about it and just hope i end up with a hood that matches my ******* car.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Just went out the car your paint code is the last series if numbers on the glove box sticker, it begins with (WA- then numbers). As an example mine is
WA- U8774. "bright red". The shop that painted my Aftermarket RamAir hood wanted the WA-#. And nothing more..
This, a 2 digit # is not a paint code. It takes 5 seconds to write it down after finding it in the door jam.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
sigh lol. no, i knew it was wrong.

They wanted me to bring the hood back on the car. After getting home i decieded a headlight cover would be enough and took it back with the cover as a reference.

I dunno, i guess its 6 of one and half dozen of the other on weather its my fault or not. Im going to try not to worry about it and just hope i end up with a hood that matches my ******* car.
Like I said, a good shop is NOT going to do it without the whole car there...

There are 8+ shades within each paint code depending on how the batch was mixed, and where your car was in the factory paint line.

Two cars with the exact same color code can be much different shades. A hack shop might shoot from the hip, but a quality shop will want the entire shop to match the shade as close as possible...
Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

So basically they tell you what they need yet you ignore their request and you are talking **** about them?
Unless they are very generous you are going to pay for your own mistake.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
This, a 2 digit # is not a paint code. It takes 5 seconds to write it down after finding it in the door jam.
Look at the following links...

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...um Patriot Red

and say this...

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...ame=Bright Red

Notice CODE at the top, and then 71 under it?! and CODE at the top and nothing but 81 under it? All of these WAXXXX numbers match what people have said in replys to the color of their cars as well.

Your really gonna tell me theres no corrolation between the 2 digit code and the "WAXXXX"? The only color a 1994 Code 71 could be is patriot red. For it to be ANY other color in 1994, the 2 digit code would have to be another other 2 digits.

These are year specific codes. The shop knows the year of my car. I told them 71, GM told them 71...there is no other color that it would possible be then medium patriot red in 1994. Its crazy to think these numbers dont relate to eachother.

Im sticking with a firm beleif that who ever mixed the paint hit 81 instead of 71, or they had the wrong year selected. Their databases paint system was set up the same way with these 2 digit numbers. They are year specific, but they are correct paint codes. IF the year changes, its possible to be an entirely different color. When my hood is finished i plan to go back with that print out in hand. There was a mistake on their part in either the year or paint code, theres no other way it could happen like this.

Last edited by trilkb; 11-26-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
So basically they tell you what they need yet you ignore their request and you are talking **** about them?
Unless they are very generous you are going to pay for your own mistake.
blah lol. This is beating a dead horse.

btw, remind me not to talk to you, i havent used any curse words towards these people, i havent insulted anyone, I havent made any comments in a bad way towards this company, i havent lost my temper with them.....**** talking must have a very odd definition for you.

Im just trying to resolve this.

Last edited by trilkb; 11-26-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree if they told u to install it and bring it in then that is what u should have done. But u decided the lamp door was enough, please. They obviously painted it incorectly but in the future if u had done the install to begin with like they said u would most definitley would not have this problem at all, sorry next time u have maybe learned something. I'm done!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hope you can get it resolved man ,the whole situation sux .. But I would prepare to pay for at least the paint or labor...or both..
Old 11-26-2011, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Look at the following links...

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...um Patriot Red

and say this...

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...ame=Bright Red

Notice CODE at the top, and then 71 under it?! and CODE at the top and nothing but 81 under it? All of these WAXXXX numbers match what people have said in replys to the color of their cars as well.

Your really gonna tell me theres no corrolation between the 2 digit code and the "WAXXXX"? The only color a 1994 Code 71 could be is patriot red. For it to be ANY other color in 1994, the 2 digit code would have to be another other 2 digits.

These are year specific codes. The shop knows the year of my car. I told them 71, GM told them 71...there is no other color that it would possible be then medium patriot red in 1994. Its crazy to think these numbers dont relate to eachother.

Im sticking with a firm beleif that who ever mixed the paint hit 81 instead of 71, or they had the wrong year selected. Their databases paint system was set up the same way with these 2 digit numbers. They are year specific, but they are correct paint codes. IF the year changes, its possible to be an entirely different color. When my hood is finished i plan to go back with that print out in hand. There was a mistake on their part in either the year or paint
code, theres no other way it could happen like this.
No, any body shop or paint shop will use the real paint code not some 2 digit # that varies by year/manufacture.

So you have no problem typing out a 5-10 minute response but you can't write down the proper paint code from the door jam to make sure that they paint it the correct color? Not to mention you couldn't even tell it was the wrong color when you picked it up despite it not even being close. Brilliant.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

go into an unsaid "quality collision center..."
Perhaps "**** talking is a little too gruff for you? Badmouthing a better term? Whatever the case may be they tell you what they need and you ignore their request. Your mistake, broseph.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think you get the fact that the color on your car might not be perfect compared to when it was new. That said without the car the painter can have a hard time matching the paint. Red on a small surface can look completely different on a large surface so a headlight door vs the entire car is not the same. Then they tell you to bring the entire car but wont because you don't want them to drive it. So you trust them to paint a part but don't trust them with the car. That's not a shop I would bring my car or part to if you question anything. Good luck and im sure you will be paying something.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

They never asked for me to get a WAXXXX paint code, they said give us the vin number and we can get it. Then when they used the vin number, they also said GM told them 71. This is why im confused on these replys. GM is telling them the same thing I did.

Transamboosted - No, i know its not the perfect color it was when it was new, i already said i wasnt expecting a perfect color, call me crazy, but im ok with it. The fact it wasnt painted patriot red is the issue. If thats patriot red, its had one of the oddest lifes of sun and weather!
Old 11-26-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, what does your WA-# read ? Curious... Go look at the bottom of your glove box door sticker..
Old 11-26-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Perhaps "**** talking is a little too gruff for you? Badmouthing a better term? Whatever the case may be they tell you what they need and you ignore their request. Your mistake, broseph.
If you want to say it that way, they also ignored my request, the paying customer, to paint the hood patriot red. Then if i was wrong, i was wrong.

The thing that doesnt sit well with me anymore is i told them patriot red, i said it outloud numerous times. Why cant people just listen. I wouldnt be here right now, this thread wouldnt be here, if all they did was paint it patriot red like i asked. Im not a moron, this is just a bad situation.

Ill get the WA-XXXX tomorrow when im near the car, its not here.

Last edited by trilkb; 11-26-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Launching!

It would probably look good om my car if you want to part with it lol

Hope you get it worked out man
Old 11-26-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Btw, that whole "pictures say a thousand words"

I sent 2 pictures of the car in the email that included the vin #... I dont know how the color they painted it, and looking at the pictures..seemed correct lol...

This is one of the pictures i sent. The funny part is there was a dodge ram close to the same color and the first thing they said is "oh well thats purple". I said i was going to tell you that its ALMOST a purple, but i didnt get want it to get confused with the ACTUAL purple.

Im not sure how im at fault here, I sent 2 pictures, and no i didnt give them an incorrect code. I said patriot red and code 71 (which is 100% a correct code).

I just dont know how you look at this picture and thing that a bright red hood is correct.

I think I found my cars long lost bother hehe . Same here medium patriot red . I love this color.

Last edited by 323steel36; 11-26-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to say it that way, they also ignored my request, the paying customer, to paint the hood patriot red. Then if i was wrong, i was wrong.

The thing that doesnt sit well with me anymore is i told them patriot red, i said it outloud numerous times. Why cant people just listen. I wouldnt be here right now, this thread wouldnt be here, if all they did was paint it patriot red like i asked. Im not a moron, this is just a bad situation.

Ill get the WA-XXXX tomorrow when im near the car, its not here.
You think they have any inkling what patriot red means? They deal with thousands of different colors on thousands of different makes and models of vehicles. If you want them to paint it the right color, you either bring the car or a part of the car that is painted the color you want. For all they know, maybe you were asking for some paint made in America that was red. You asked for red and that is what you got.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Just checked the glove box on the car,

guess what...the paint code is WA9913, i will be taking a picture of this, along with a print out of that sheet, when i go pick up a correctly painted hood.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Woah Ninja edit.........

There wouldn't happen to be a difference between

Patriot Red
and
medium patriot red....
Old 11-27-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just checked the glove box on the car,

guess what...the paint code is WA9913, i will be taking a picture of this, along with a print out of that sheet, when i go pick up a correctly painted hood.
Now your cooking with crisco ,thats the " i could've saved alot of time and frustration & potentally a $250 repaint" savings code.Problem solved.

Quick Reply: Enough to make you mad