LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Enough to make you mad

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Enough to make you mad

I bought a ram air hood for 220$ not long ago. raw fiberglass....ok paint time. call around, dont like the quotes im getting.

go into an unsaid "quality collision center" and drop off the hood for a fair price of paint. Say the words "medium patriot red" "gm code 71" "its the DARKER red" things like that. I dont bring the car in but give the vin # to verify paint code through dealership. I told them the car has drag radials and a big cam thats untune and it gets terrible mpg, frankly i just didnt want anyone from this establishment driving my car.

well, this is what i ended up with...

I took the hood home only to seem like "hey, it could be right". I offered in the begining to bring in a headlight cover for paint reference, they didnt want to go that route. So i go back with the headlight cover and immediatly an employee i never dealt with (and the hood not in sight) says "oh yea thats totally the wrong color!"

Hope im not paying more money for a mistake that wasnt my fault!!

Anyone have any predictions on how this one will play out?

Last edited by trilkb; 11-25-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to say it but you may have screwed yourself by not providing the correct paint code... I would have to look at mine again but it's on the sticker in the glove box and door jam it should be like a 5 or six 6 digit code... I did the same as you but provided code bot the vin ... Mine is U8774 or bright red
And that hood is nowhere close by eye to be a dark metallic red/maroon

Last edited by defaultexistence; 11-25-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't KNOW how it will play out but you appear to have made a mistake by not giving them anything with your color as a reference. If they would have had something it would have been fairly obvious, fairly quickly that the hot pink color is not a match.

The mistake was partially your fault for the same reason. If they would have had the car I'm fairly certain that they would not have let it go like that. If they did then you would have had some recourse but now..........I dunno. Good luck anyways.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically, you gave them the correct paint code: http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...page=7&rows=50

That said, you should have brought the whole car and let them blend it with you headlights fenders, ect. It doesn't cost much more and looks better. Would have eliminated any confusion and looked much better....you can always tell new paint when it's next to the original, they never match the color perfectly.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Nevermind....looks like you may have fucked up (I just realized this is a firebird, not camaro)....Looks like the paint code for the "darker red" changed from "71" (Medium Patriot red) in 93 to "72" (Medium Red) in 94....you have a 94 right?

Looks to me code 72 for Medium red is the correct color...correct me if wrong:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...page=8&rows=50
Old 11-25-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

^ thats a helpful link, take the information I gave saying the car is medium patriot red and gm code 71 ( under 1993 thisis 100% correct). Then take that the dealership also told them gm code 71....

Now if you look at those codes, code 81 is bright red...wondering now if someone just hit the wrong number, 8 instead of 7, when doing the computerized mixing?

Im a little more clear headed now then i was earlier today, the weird part is its listed as gm 71 on my paperwork.

I dunno very confusing, I shouldve just taken in the headlight cover to begin with, who knew this **** would happen. Why didnt they just take their color swatch that says PATRIOT RED when i told them it was PATRIOT RED and paint it that color lol.

even if the car is MEDIUM RED accordng to that site, it would still match 99% better then what i ended up with.

Im also sure its been repainted, it has metallic flake in it and the patriot red metallic color swatch matched up perfectly. Im really starting to beleive someone hit 81 instead of 71. I emailed them and i havent lost my temper yet, hoping that the computerized mixing system has some sort of memory that will show it as code 81.

Last edited by trilkb; 11-25-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Btw, that whole "pictures say a thousand words"

I sent 2 pictures of the car in the email that included the vin #... I dont know how the color they painted it, and looking at the pictures..seemed correct lol...

This is one of the pictures i sent. The funny part is there was a dodge ram close to the same color and the first thing they said is "oh well thats purple". I said i was going to tell you that its ALMOST a purple, but i didnt get want it to get confused with the ACTUAL purple.

Im not sure how im at fault here, I sent 2 pictures, and no i didnt give them an incorrect code. I said patriot red and code 71 (which is 100% a correct code).

I just dont know how you look at this picture and thing that a bright red hood is correct.

Last edited by trilkb; 11-25-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

That totally sucks dude i feel for you pain as i know im going to have a my hands full if this ram air hood i plan to pick up doesnt match. Its going on my dads 95 Blue Green Chameleon car and it is a bastard to try and match and repainting the whole to make it all match really the only way to go unless you car sits inside and has low low miles. A local guy had a shop do 5 attempts to get it right. Another person i know had his done and it was way more green and didnt match for ****. Another guy i know that i was trying to get his hood off of was a close match but to mine but he couldnt make up his mind to sell it so i said **** it. Just found another one i found online but its going to be a gamble as ive only seen pics and im going to pick it up with my truck. So it will either match or im going to be panic mode when i get around to painting it in the spring if i have to.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just went out the car your paint code is the last series if numbers on the glove box sticker, it begins with (WA- then numbers). As an example mine is
WA- U8774. "bright red". The shop that painted my Aftermarket RamAir hood wanted the WA-#. And nothing more..
Old 11-25-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

I lol'd haha sorry but you made my night.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

least someone is laughing...

I love throwing money down the toilet. IF it could happen to anyone, Im always first on the list.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Teching In

That sucks *** dude. I hope I dont have this issue but it is kinda hard to screw up white. Go down there, give em hell and tell them they need to repaint it at no cost. You are an unsatisfied customer. Stop payment on the check or card if necessary to get results.

Last edited by ZOMBIE79; 11-26-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

can i ask how much you paid to paint just the hood? trying to get an idea for my car.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Depending on how expensive the paint is i would guess anywhere from 300-500 by a reputable place.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine cost $500, base/clear
Old 11-25-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn for that kind of money i would be climbing up someones ***!!! The WA# is all they should have asked for. But with the vin number they should have been able to figure it out on their own. I had my ram air painted at macco for 75.00 came out fantastic...raven black can't really screw that up. But how can u accept the finished product when it is obvious and seriously the wrong color, u may have screwed yourself by taking the final product. Good luck
Old 11-25-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A good shop would have refused to do it without the car.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gregrob
see, now thats fucked up. A GOOD shop, would do what the customer asks them to do! I wasnt looking for a 100% show quality color match. Im not stupid, i know things will not turn out PERFECT without the car there, and even with the car there, blending would have to be done to ensure it looks proper anyways. But shops have gone into a mode now where the customer IS ALWAYS WRONG. Noone seems to care what the owner of the vehicle has to say anymore.

I paid 253$. (252 and some change) But with 220$ in the hood, im hovering around the 500$ range.

The only reason i paid first is because I really wasnt expecting this to happen since they had my vin number and i told them the code, and the color, and that it was a DARK red.

They took the hood back, but I just dont know how it will play out.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
I took the hood home only to seem like "hey, it could be right".
Hope im not paying more money for a mistake that wasnt my fault!!

Anyone have any predictions on how this one will play out?
so you saw the newly painted hood ...

and didn't realize it didn't match your car before taking it home?... wow... yes, you paid to much for your lack of attention to detail and it is indeed all your fault
Old 11-25-2011, 10:23 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
I would agree with this and ahritchie's post saying they should've had the car to blend it.

Even if they got the color right, a car on the street exposed to the elements will not match fresh paint shot from a gun. Adjustments in the paint formula allow the paint guy to match it up.

I woulda gave them the car with the hood installed.

Sorry bro...

Quick Reply: Enough to make you mad