LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

BBK TB vs. PORTED TB

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAI, airfoil, roller rockers. LT headers, free mods, ORY, cat delete, a good muffler and a quality tune from say PCM4less should net you close to 300 at the wheels without diving into the motor. With the 3.73's and 6 speed it should run strong.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

What is this mail order tune?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a new tune for the pcm but way better than the hypertech. It's done by many people. I personally have one from pcmforless and very happy with how the car performs. It was night and day difference in driveability and response. You can either send out your PCM or buy the usb to OBD connector (which I did) and have him email you the tune file. Then you follow some easy steps to upload the tune to your PCM via the data cable and a laptop.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Alright so I can get it from PCMforless? And can I go back to stock if I wanted to like you can with a Hypertech?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransAmRAFormula
Alright so I can get it from PCMforless? And can I go back to stock if I wanted to like you can with a Hypertech?
Lots of other people who tune then just pcmforless, I personally had a madz28 tune and loved it.

And yes you can save your stock tune and re flash your PCM at a later date back to stock. (if your loading it your self with a laptop and aldl cable)

If your sending it out I'm sure the company you use will have a stock .bin in case you ever wanna go back. Just double check with who ever you go with.

~Edit~ The hypertech is garbage, I paid around $100-150?(been almost 3 years lol cant remember) bucks for my tune and cables and tuning program. People have LOST time at the strip from the "performance" tune in it. Food for thought.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Default free mods

what are the free mods thi vett guy keeps talking about i have asked and asked and looked and looked
Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 93z28de
what are the free mods thi vett guy keeps talking about i have asked and asked and looked and looked
You didnt look very hard...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ing-about.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ve-mor-hp.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...free-mods.html
Old 12-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Alright so I sent back the BBK throttle body and I bought a ported 52mm stock throttle body. Instead of the Hypertech programmer I am going to try a place called Level 10 in Hardyston New Jersey, I have heard good things about them and their custom tuning.

For the final performance upgrade, I would like to get a set of rocker arms. I am looking at the Comp Cams Pro Magnum 1.6 roller rockers. Will these fit under the stock valve covers? If not what about the Comp Cams Magnum 1.6 rockers? Who makes some nice looking aftermarket valve covers? A nice set that say maybe Pontiac or Trans Am would look nice. Maybe I will do valve covers and the 1.6 Pro Magnums. Would it be worth it? Also if I do new rocker arms I would wants to use ARP studs, are these the right studs I need for the stock heads?
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...uds-7-16-x-20/

thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, the Pro Magnums do fit under stock valve covers...I have them.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you get aftermarket valve covers, you don't have to get "special lt1" valve covers, you can notch the alternator to fit the covers. Are you sure that shop knows how to tune lt1 cars?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

As its already been stated, Comp Pro-Magnums will fit under the stock valve covers. All you have to do is cut the fins inside with a pair of tin-snips or a dremel with a cutting wheel on it-- did it myself and it was very easy.

1.6 Rockers are a definitely a good mod, but what is even better to do is upgrade your valve springs while you're in there. The stock LT1 springs aren't anything special and do float when rev'd anywhere near the red line.

I did Comp ProMag 1.6's with 7/16" studs and a set of $255 Patriot Gold double valve springs and it was worth every penny. Actually gained a consistent 3mph in the quarter, all top end gain.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

awesome thanks tbag! I will definitely be trying that out. And yes I called Level 10 and asked them about their tuning for LT1 car and he said they've done a bunch of them and by adjusting fuel parameters and timing and such they generally see gains of about 30hp. And they charge $198 for tuning, which is over $100 cheaper than the Hypertech programmer...
Old 12-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Alright so it seems I have had an exhaust leak that is getting louder and louder. I figured since I will be taking it to my buddy's shop to pull the exhaust manifolds so we can install new gaskets, I might as well go for headers. So I will most likely be installing KOOKS with a catted y-pipe and then the performance modifications are done. My buddy was telling me that 1.6 roller rockers will not make a big difference for me because the heads are stock and will not provide more flow. I installed the ported TB today so there's just a few more things to do and she's done! Thanks everyone for your suggestions and input.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Alright so it seems I have had an exhaust leak that is getting louder and louder. I figured since I will be taking it to my buddy's shop to pull the exhaust manifolds so we can install new gaskets, I might as well go for headers. So I will most likely be installing KOOKS with a catted y-pipe and then the performance modifications are done. My buddy was telling me that 1.6 roller rockers will not make a big difference for me because the heads are stock and will not provide more flow. I installed the ported TB today so there's just a few more things to do and she's done! Thanks everyone for your suggestions and input.
Your buddy doesn't know what he's talking about...it's been proven that upgraded springs and 1.6 RR consistently add 15-20 HP on a STOCK LT1....sure, the gains may be bigger if you had ported heads, but it's still a worthwhile mod and will let you rev to 6K without valve float. If the stock heads are SO restrictive as your buddy seems to think, why would people upgrade to bigger cams with stock heads and gain 50+ hp The gains are three-fold here:
1. more valve lift= more hp and torque
2. better springs allow the engine to make power to 6000RPM without horsepower robbing valve float.
3. Roller rockers and roller tips further reduce friction creating more HP
Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Oh yea, you may want to get a LT4 knock module so you don't get false knock due to the "noise" of the roller rockers....or the computer can pull timing making the HP/TQ gains made with the rockers moot.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Oh yea, you may want to get a LT4 knock module so you don't get false knock due to the "noise" of the roller rockers....or the computer can pull timing making the HP/TQ gains made with the rockers moot.
I had the knock module desensitized in my tune to help not pick up false knock from things, RRs included.

Atleast, thats what the tuner told me.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

well if your car is a "show car" you should the alt. relocation in my opinion, makes the engine bay so much nicer
Old 12-23-2011, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do a port stock TB with 52mm Blades
Old 12-23-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

My buddy was telling me that 1.6 roller rockers will not make a big difference for me because the heads are stock and will not provide more flow.
Well tell your buddy that he is incorrect.

Installing 1.6RR on a stock head/cam LT1 will increase horsepower, but installing them on a built LT1 will give you even more power. Sort of like installing a ported throttle body... the gains on a stock engine will be there, but will be greater on a built engine.

Oh yea, Kook's headers are a fine choice-- expensive, but then again you get what you pay for.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

You're trying to do what you can to get power out of the car and you still don't have headers on it

Quick Reply: BBK TB vs. PORTED TB