LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone have any issues with sputtering in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Anyone have any issues with sputtering in the rain?

Had to drive the hawk in the rain today. Had two quick sputters and thought the engine was going to cut out on me. Thought it was kind of bizzare since it has been rock solid since the rebuild. No SES light at all during it. No problems since.

My guesses:
1. MAF from too much rain?
2. ABS computer. Brake light/ABS inop light/traction light are on all the time.
3. Air bag light is on. Short somewhere?

Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

All those lights being on are often the result of a low voltage issue. Check cable connections, alternator output and battery state of charge.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My dads car use to have the tendency to have the same issue. His car rarely see's rain but when it does sometime it will sputter a few times and then be totally fine the rest of the drive. Never had to replace anything. See what happens and if its acts up again its time to took further into it.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All my dash lights came on for a couple days after I went through a very deep (6-10") puddle during a rainstorm that blasted water in the engine compartment getting the PCM wet...the car was a LS1 Firehawk though. Everything went back to normal after a couple days of driving it to dry it out. Did you go through any big puddles that could have gotten the PCM wet?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shbox
All those lights being on are often the result of a low voltage issue. Check cable connections, alternator output and battery state of charge.
Will check the alternator output. The battery is a new Interstate battery. I wonder if the Racetronix fuel pump harness is causing issues?

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
My dads car use to have the tendency to have the same issue. His car rarely see's rain but when it does sometime it will sputter a few times and then be totally fine the rest of the drive. Never had to replace anything. See what happens and if its acts up again its time to took further into it.
Been driving it in the rain all day so far so good. Maybe it's a freak thing.

Originally Posted by ahritchie
All my dash lights came on for a couple days after I went through a very deep (6-10") puddle during a rainstorm that blasted water in the engine compartment getting the PCM wet...the car was a LS1 Firehawk though. Everything went back to normal after a couple days of driving it to dry it out. Did you go through any big puddles that could have gotten the PCM wet?
No. It's dry.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Couple of questions for you OP. Have those lights been on since the engine change? Did you drop the Kmember while doing it? also what intake system are you running on her?

For the air bag light: did you have the steering shaft removed at any point and turn the steering wheel with it disconected? This can cause the clock spring to break that suplies signal power to the air bag.

Abs is usually something simple like a broken sensor wire or unpluged sensor. If it happend the day it rained I would say thats the source but it seems like your saying they were on before that? I Would check the simple stuff first then move on to other options if those get you no where.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Couple of questions for you OP. Have those lights been on since the engine change? Did you drop the Kmember while doing it? also what intake system are you running on her?

For the air bag light: did you have the steering shaft removed at any point and turn the steering wheel with it disconected? This can cause the clock spring to break that suplies signal power to the air bag.

Abs is usually something simple like a broken sensor wire or unpluged sensor. If it happend the day it rained I would say thats the source but it seems like your saying they were on before that? I Would check the simple stuff first then move on to other options if those get you no where.
1. Running the SLP Firehawk ram air intake. I have a BMR K frame.

2. The steering shaft was off during the install. I still haven't gotten an alignment yet and the wheel is all tilted still...

3. I was just thinking of removing the whole damn system and putting in a line lock.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just came back from a drive and now all those dash warning lights are off. Weird.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

must have just gotten wet then lol

Quick Reply: Anyone have any issues with sputtering in the rain?