LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock Heads Larger Valves

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the larger valves as well. 2.00/1.56 - they will need machine work and a 3 angle valve job. The Manley Raceflo valves also have a slightly smaller neck diameter which helps flow somewhat. The valve job is VERY important also because it SIGNIFICANTLY increases the flow immediately after the valve opens. It's not just the max flow of the port that's important but the flow at all times which results in the best cylinder filling.

Money spent on head work is money well spent (if it's wisely spent). A street motor is much happier with a slightly smaller cam and good flowing heads than stock heads and a huge cam.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree if done right with porting 2.0 1.56 valves can be a good upgrade BUT for this poster at this time IMO a stock replacement valve is the smarter way to go.

If considering putting new valves in stock heads and a valvejob I would sooner spend the money on a useable set of used heads for now and use the current ones as cores for porting later.

I think trying to put bigger valves in and a valvejob now is going to cause problem later if you try and have the same heads ported.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By valve job I mean just replacing the valves. Not a 3 angle valve job or anything. I need to replace the valves due to an exhaust valve being jacked up.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

After hearing your situation I'd just do what Caprice is suggesting and get some stock valves to use till you have the means to have your heads ported. If you start having machine work done now some head porters won't want them as cores, they want a clean casting not one someone else has mesed with. Figures, I just threw away a whole bunch of stock valves you could have had for the cost of shipping. I'm sure someone on here possibly even LE or AI can do the same for you.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well for 116 thats for Sealed Power Chrome stem plated valves. I can get just regular valves for 3.79 a pop so 60 for a whole set.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm going to catch hell on here for this but here it is. I had ported and polished my stock heads installed HUGE valves and seats. My heads would not sit flat on a table. I ran the got cam kit and got massive amounts of power from my first build. Key to building engines is try different variations and see what works best.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Gaskins
I know I'm going to catch hell on here for this but here it is. I had ported and polished my stock heads installed HUGE valves and seats. My heads would not sit flat on a table. I ran the got cam kit and got massive amounts of power from my first build. Key to building engines is try different variations and see what works best.
The details are overwhelming...

Quick Reply: Stock Heads Larger Valves