LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pacesetter offroad Headers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
20whp isn't uncommon. And you don't NEED a tune with headers.

I asked where you are from in case someone from the forum is close by and willing to give you a hand.

If you weld everything on, how would you get it all out? Don't worry about leaks. Good clamps are just as good as welds.
Thanks for the advice, like I said, I'm a little new with some things and others I'm not, I would love to find some help in the area. If not I'm hoping I can make the install one hell of a birthday present haha!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Teching In

instead of spending $450 on the install, spend it on a good set of tools, some jack stands, and a case of beer... then go to town man good luck!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NegativeCamber
instead of spending $450 on the install, spend it on a good set of tools, some jack stands, and a case of beer... then go to town man good luck!
That ^^^
Old 12-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NegativeCamber
Ok I think I'll do that, you know we're I can find an install guide?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so did your LT come on the car when you bought it?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pillarpod
so did your LT come on the car when you bought it?
Whut??
Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

never mind i thought the headers were already put on, don't get me wrong, its pretty easy to put LT and a Y pipe on, but if he can get that put on for $350, that isn't bad at all for a guy that has no tools or experience. Just a matter if the OP wants to learn, or just drive the thing.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I say take all the emissions bullshit off while your at it get a tune and be done with it. Also a tune will change your shift points and fermness so its a nice mod to go with the headers.... I will say that pulling the headers on is a ******* bitch no lie such a pain in the ***. It sounds like you dont work on cars at all, so you should make friends with a fellow f body owner that lives by you to help that way he can show you whats , what and some little tricks on how to get things done. Theres not a better feeling when your driving your car and you know you did all the work yourself you feel the power and hear the exhaust .
Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ROUDA
I say take all the emissions bullshit off while your at it get a tune and be done with it. Also a tune will change your shift points and fermness so its a nice mod to go with the headers.... I will say that pulling the headers on is a ******* bitch no lie such a pain in the ***. It sounds like you dont work on cars at all, so you should make friends with a fellow f body owner that lives by you to help that way he can show you whats , what and some little tricks on how to get things done. Theres not a better feeling when your driving your car and you know you did all the work yourself you feel the power and hear the exhaust .
What emissions stuff would you be referring too, yeah I don't do a whole of my own work, usually don't have time, you know where I can find an install guide?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Emissions would be to delete the AIR pump and EGR stuff. The AIR pump is really easy to delete. If you look at your stock exhaust manifolds, theres like a small pipe coming out of them both and then they lead under the car. When u remove it, you will plug in those two holes and cut off the pipes. Headers without emissions mean they dont have those holes, so you dont have to worry about plugging them. And the EGR i havent done yet, but you only buy 3 plates to block of some part behind the engine. Maybe someone can chime in on that.

OP i hardly have time to work on my car either, but since its not my DD i usually take my sweet time to do anything on it. Hell it took me like a week to replace my opti and water pump. Only bad thing is that my battery died lol
Old 12-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Teching In

There lies a problem, this is my daily driver...
Old 12-17-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ga129
There lies a problem, this is my daily driver...
^^^^^^ yes we failed to consider a new wrench turner getting this done in a weekend so he can have his car come monday morning for school or work.....
Old 12-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Teching In

that was the main reason for taking it too a shop, I don't have any money now so we will see what happens but like I said before I'm hoping I can get help putting these on front birthday coming up
Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Sorry to post so late after all this time, tomorrow will be day 4 of working on these headers! Which so far we've totaled about 20 hours and it has been a bitch! I've
Never had **** so rusted lol, anyway I got tools for Christmas and bought a jack and stand set myself, so far we have all the stock stuff off, we got the driver side header on with new plugs and wires, and had to replace coolant temp sensor because we broke the stock one getting header in haha, anyway all we lack is the passenger side header with plugs and wires and then put it all back together and put on ory pipe, and we're done and I picked up a new belt as well, I got duralast wires and Ngk55gp plugs, any comments, questions, or suggestions from anyone, we had to delete cats and AIR, I just plugged off
The EGR on passenger side for now, what kind of gains do yall expect now? And does anyone know how much I can sell the 2 cats for?
-THANKS!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Teching In

I didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't kno what I was
Doing before, I do I just had to find time to do this kind
Of work on my DD, so I waited till spring break this week (I'm a college student). Will soon be buying a 91 Honda accord LX (for 500$ from a friend) to drive in town so I can garage my baby Camaro to work o and drive on the weekends.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

i just got the pacesetters lt and now u got me thinking do i want to do them myself haha
Old 03-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by keithcampbell
i just got the pacesetters lt and now u got me thinking do i want to do them myself haha
If you have the equipment and time then do it yourself it's worth the experience! Just remember you are working against years of rust and weather,
My biggest help has been PB blaster and wd40, save yourself the money and do it! I'm so glad I did!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Congrats. It's always nice to hear a guy doing his own work rather than farming it out. You won't regret the experience even though it's a PITA.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

yeah i think im going to start on it when it stops raining and then im doing the a/c dlt and taking all the egr and air stuff off as well
Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Emissions would be to delete the AIR pump and EGR stuff. The AIR pump is really easy to delete. If you look at your stock exhaust manifolds, theres like a small pipe coming out of them both and then they lead under the car. When u remove it, you will plug in those two holes and cut off the pipes. Headers without emissions mean they dont have those holes, so you dont have to worry about plugging them. And the EGR i havent done yet, but you only buy 3 plates to block of some part behind the engine. Maybe someone can chime in on that.

OP i hardly have time to work on my car either, but since its not my DD i usually take my sweet time to do anything on it. Hell it took me like a week to replace my opti and water pump. Only bad thing is that my battery died lol
EGR is simple. Remove EGR from back of the intake manifold, put on block plate. Remove EGR pipe from back of manifold to exhaust manifold and block off. You can't see back there with the manifold installed so its all by feel. Pretty easy. Then if you have a OBD2 car you will want to tune it out since it will throw a code and the annoying check engine light will be on.

Originally Posted by keithcampbell
yeah i think im going to start on it when it stops raining and then im doing the a/c dlt and taking all the egr and air stuff off as well
Do a throttle body bypass while you're at it.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter offroad Headers worth it?