LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pics of my HID conversion in a stock 93 to 97 camaro headlight. i want input.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed13b
Dim output (blazer fogs on the c5 with a hid bulb have the same output)
foreground lighting is too bright
Poor distance lighting
Beam is streaky
width is narrow

Put it next to any OEM or even the mini d2s and you will see the difference.

Plus retrofitting headlights is my job I don't use the matchbox projector because I find them unsafe.

Put one Tl projector next to four of the matchbox projectors and tell us how they compare. The Hella projectors that BLS use are pretty good but I'm specifically talking about the matchbox projector.
how is the mini h1 bi-xenon projector housing for light output

Last edited by tt383lt1; 01-08-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I knew what kind of lights were on my old camaro. The guy I bought it from said he made them on his kitchen table. All I know is that they were very bright and looked great, and kept the stock look when off. The only problem with them is that they were about the same brightness as the high beams, but I adjusted them down some to not blind oncoming traffic. I think that with some creativity, and the right resources making your own kit wouldnt be too hard. I just wish I knew how to make a cheap kit for trans ams.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Dim output (blazer fogs on the c5 with a hid bulb have the same output)
foreground lighting is too bright
Poor distance lighting
Beam is streaky
width is narrow

Put it next to any OEM or even the mini d2s and you will see the difference.

Plus retrofitting headlights is my job I don't use the matchbox projector because I find them unsafe.

Put one Tl projector next to four of the matchbox projectors and tell us how they compare. The Hella projectors that BLS use are pretty good but I'm specifically talking about the matchbox projector.

and are you talking about acura tl projectors
Old 01-08-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
I wish I knew what kind of lights were on my old camaro. The guy I bought it from said he made them on his kitchen table. All I know is that they were very bright and looked great, and kept the stock look when off. The only problem with them is that they were about the same brightness as the high beams, but I adjusted them down some to not blind oncoming traffic. I think that with some creativity, and the right resources making your own kit wouldnt be too hard. I just wish I knew how to make a cheap kit for trans ams.
what year camaro was it. and do you have any pics
Old 01-08-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tt383lt1
what year camaro was it. and do you have any pics
It was a 97. I didnt own it very long, so I dont have pictures of the headlights. I just know that it had better headlights than any other car Ive owned.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

did it use the stock headlight housing?
Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

did it use the stock headlight housing?
Yeah, it was a modified stock housing.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:20 PM

how is the mini h1 bi-xenon projector housing for light output
For bixenon projectors I would rank them in this order with tl /rx350/ls the best.

Mini d2s (there should be a new projector to replace this in the near future)
mini h1
Fxr or e55( fxr has about the same low beam as the mini h1 but has a better high beam)
fx
rx350 or tl
Ls460
Old 01-08-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

For bixenon projectors I would rank them in this order with tl /rx350/ls the best.

Mini d2s (there should be a new projector to replace this in the near future)
mini h1
Fxr or e55( fxr has about the same low beam as the mini h1 but has a better high beam)
fx
rx350 or tl
Ls460
i found someone thats running some from a lexus sedan. he cant remember the make or year he pulled them. so i figure if you might know what they ran. i figure it wont hurt to ask.

oh and there in a 4 gen camaro
Old 01-08-2012, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ballinonabudget
I don't understand why everyone is flipping their **** over BLS vs this guy. HE ISN'T TRYING TO SELL A PRODUCT HERE, NOR TAKE BUSINESS FROM BLS.
Then why did I see a thread asking if there was interest in them being bought(him selling them)? It got deleted once the mods saw it and them this thread appeared...
Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

no i ask wh would be interested in them. not selling them but who would run them
Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Teching In

No i wont be deleting this. I just thinks its funny how so many people are getting mad over a HID kit. Its just headlights. calm down. Im just trying to make a cheap HID kit that not out of this world for pricing. and who else is trying to make a resonable price HID kit for the h3451 bulbs[/B].
Tt383lt1, I'm not mad; I was actually quite supportive of your idea in the other thread I posted in, and your lights do look better than stock, as I said there. But I was rather annoyed to have my posts deleted with that thread, after taking time to find links and explain the basics of what I think matters in matching bulbs to optics, and how to take proper beamshots. I tried to pull it up to send a link to a friend of mine with sealed beam HID drop-ins, and found that my contributions were gone. I spent a couple hours commenting and finding supporting into, and you (or maybe the mods, I suppose) deleted the thread soon after. What a waste.

It looked to me as if you deleted the entire thread as soon as I made posts which highlighted some aspects of your light's donor projectors and performance that were unfavorable. Considering how you are a non-sponsor wanting to offer an HID kit for sale, the whole thing seemed a bit suspicious to me. Then I came across a similar thread here. Of course I stopped in...

You want to sell these lights. In that context, I'm going to judge you more critically than I would judge a DIYer simply trying to work out his own lighting improvement. The part about you crafting your own lights is great, I support it, and I respect it. If you can craft HIDs that improve vision without offensive glare, more power to you. As a hobbyist with experience in that area, I think that's commendable. Still, I'll try to share what I know with others who are considering buying from any potential lighting supplier, and I will tend to take offense if that input is removed by said party when it is unfavorable.

Hope that explains my position better.

And to whoever commented about 'these guys are all friends':

I'd never even heard of BLS until the first thread about 'any interest in cheap drop in HID's kits' or whatever it was called. There, somebody else mentioned BLS, so I took a look. Having built various lights myself, and dreamed for years of good lights for my Camaro, I liked what I saw. But I don't know them any more than I know tt383lt1. Which is not at all.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

no i apersiated your help. i know i cant sell these on here i just wanted more imput like you gave me. you are a really smart guy and im glad you came in with your advice
Old 01-09-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BLS - Wow you're sensitive. He's fishing for sales in his posts? All he said was "what do you guys think", looking for feedback. Are you seriously threatened by him because he made his own "projector headlights"? I think before you go insulting this guy for absolutely no reason (from what I can see), you should have some class if you want to get people to buy products from you.

I'm interested to see some progress on these, nice job man for taking some initiative and trying something new. They really don't look half bad. I wanna see some better quality pictures and some more details though!
You are an idiot. You are late to the party. This guy was and continues to fish for sales. It happens all over the boards with all sorts of ****.

No i wont be deleting this. I just thinks its funny how so many people are getting mad over a HID kit. Its just headlights. calm down. Im just trying to make a cheap HID kit that not out of this world for pricing. and who else is trying to make a resonable price HID kit for the h3451 bulbs.
See how he allures to making a cheap kit? Why would someone say that if they were just retrofitting their own car? You should be smarter than that
Old 01-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
You are an idiot. You are late to the party. This guy was and continues to fish for sales. It happens all over the boards with all sorts of ****.

See how he allures to making a cheap kit? Why would someone say that if they were just retrofitting their own car? You should be smarter than that
Ok I'm an idiot for not seeing a thread that was deleted long before this one? All I saw was what was being said in this thread, not in the other thread where apparently he WAS fishing. You sorry?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

BLS and all the groupies such as bmxrider are just mad someone figured out what they were doing, it's a sham anyways... and why would you ever spend 900 on headlights when you could convert to a LS front end for less and have vastly superior lighting.

keep pecking away at your little project. you are just being picked on for trying to come up with you own way, I infact support tinkering like this after all it may end up something good.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1slowz28
BLS and all the groupies such as bmxrider are just mad someone figured out what they were doing, it's a sham anyways... and why would you ever spend 900 on headlights when you could convert to a LS front end for less and have vastly superior lighting.

keep pecking away at your little project. you are just being picked on for trying to come up with you own way, I infact support tinkering like this after all it may end up something good.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Banned

Exactly.. where do you think all the free mods and new parts came from? F body guys tinkering around and making an idea a reality. Keep working on the lights man they look good for the little money you have in them.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok I'm an idiot for not seeing a thread that was deleted long before this one? All I saw was what was being said in this thread, not in the other thread where apparently he WAS fishing. You sorry?
Nope, you should know better. You sowwie?

Clearly you know what you are talking about with your vastly superior knowledge. Have fun converting your front end for less then $900 and look anywhere near decent. Rattle can it up brah!

Exactly.. where do you think all the free mods and new parts came from? F body guys tinkering around and making an idea a reality. Keep working on the lights man they look good for the little money you have in them.
This guy....hackergroupie4lifez
Old 01-10-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

bmx dude, just leave it alone... it's obviously a sensitive spot for you. Best for everyone to just leave it be and let him do his thing and support what he is doing. Who knows, maybe he will come up with a better solution than you BLS people... Don't get your panties in a bunch, brah!

maybe you should just follow what your sig says... take some of your own medicine so to speak.

Quick Reply: pics of my HID conversion in a stock 93 to 97 camaro headlight. i want input.