LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

When I prime the fuel pump no injectors...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When I prime the fuel pump no injectors...

should fire correct?

My car started running like crap one night. I made it home (barely) and when I went to start the car again I just heard a clunk, and the car were no longer turn over. I assumed the motor had somehow locked up. I started removing plugs and noticed several were covered in gas. Then when I removed the starter I found the nose of the starter broken and wedged in the flywheel. I then turned the motor by hand and at least 2 cylinders were filled with gas. I assume the starter broken when it tried to turn over a motor that had the cylinders full of liquid.

I finally changed the starter and got the fuel rail propped up so I could see what the injectors were doing. When I prime it none of the injectors do anything except #4, which is wide open. Before I order a new set of injectors is there anything else I should check?

::edit:: I just put the wire from #4 on to #2 and turned the key. With no wire attached #4 still sprayed 100% and #2 did nothing.

Last edited by AR15 guy; 01-01-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your first statement is a bit confusing, but when you prime the pump nothing should fire.

If your #4 injector is stuck open have it cleaned/checked/replaced. Also check to make sure the colored wire isn't grounded out.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unplug your #4 injector and see if it's still "wide open". That will tell you if it's electrical or mechanical. Also, it may be wise to do a compression test between #4 and another couple of cylinders that are easy to get to. If the compression is lower in #4 you may have bent a rod or damaged a piston. If the compression is about the same, go ahead and try to start it. Any other problems will be known in a very short time. Good luck ---Gunny---

Last edited by 1963SS; 01-02-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I unplugged it and it still does it. I even tried #4 connector on the #2 injector and #2 did not do anything. I will run a compression test on a few cylinders soon and see what happens. If it is toast I will probably have a super nice LT1 TA roller up for sale.

Quick Reply: When I prime the fuel pump no injectors...