LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

This MSD unit is pretty solid. Let's see how it holds up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
A LOT of "opti problems" are caused by incompetence on the part of the person diagnosing or installing them. The opti is BLINDLY bashed and any hiccup is seen as a complete failure.
It also is pretty badly neglected, nobody would ever think of leaving an HEI cap and rotor unchanged for 100K and if they did they wouldn't blame the HEI they would admit it just wore out.

A lot of the heavy hitters tried the MSD when it first came out and a LOT of them went back to stock because it is better, some of them might do things like pop rivet the rotor or something but at any rate you find a lot of stock optis on fast cars doing well and a lot of "failed" optis on cars like your's.

Stock opti is not perfect but it is a whole hell of a lot better than the newbs are lead to believe by the ignorant masses.
I tend to agree with you. I used nothing but the AC Delco opti and never had an issue with it. I had always heard the MSD unit was overrated.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0tt30
I had always heard the MSD unit was overrated.
I guess we'll be finding out. Runs good so far.

The brass terminals on the old opti were completely corroded as well. Never seen anything like it. The whole unit just died. All the codes pointed right to the opti. No injector pulse, no spark.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:06 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
I guess we'll be finding out. Runs good so far.

The brass terminals on the old opti were completely corroded as well. Never seen anything like it. The whole unit just died. All the codes pointed right to the opti. No injector pulse, no spark.
Didn't your car sit outside for several years?

When I got my car out of storage after 6-7 years, my opti was a mess. I'm pretty sure the water pump had been leaking on it a bit prior to the car having been put into storage.

I considered an MSD, but decided to just go with another AC/Delco.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

i have an msd. its been on the car for over a year of daily driving. its had a few problems but nothing a little loctite would have prevented. the rotor screws backed out after a month. (i tried putting loctite on them before installing it but they were so tight from the factory, they were starting to strip) about a month ago, it started throwing a hi res code. i pulled it apart again to find out one of the cap screws back out and was missing causing a vacuum leak and not letting the dust out. sprayed it out with electronic parts cleaner, loctited ever screw, good as new.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

5 years and 25k on my MSD with no issues... not saying its better than stock but I would bet and blame most failures on install error.

Most important thing to is loctite the rotor screws. When I did my cam swap two years ago, they were a little loose.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm gonna thread jack for a minute because I don't want to start a new thread about Optis.
I'm about to swap cams. I have 123000 miles on the original opti. Would I be better off just changing the cap and rotor instead of taking a chance on a new one? Or should I buy a new (insert brand here) unit? The car runs fine but I've been told by other people it missfires in the high rpms but I cant hear or feel it in the car.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
I'm gonna thread jack for a minute because I don't want to start a new thread about Optis.
I'm about to swap cams. I have 123000 miles on the original opti. Would I be better off just changing the cap and rotor instead of taking a chance on a new one? Or should I buy a new (insert brand here) unit? The car runs fine but I've been told by other people it missfires in the high rpms but I cant hear or feel it in the car.
IMO since you're tearing everything down anyway take a good look at your opti like this guy did. This can determine wether to replace totally or not. Best of luck.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1566572994-post1.html
Old 01-19-2012, 12:24 AM
8 Second Club

I installed my first one right out of the box on a new motor. I had less than 300 miles on the motor, because I wanted to break in the motor before I put it on the dyno. During the 2nd run the rotor came off. I bought a cap and rotor kit, but for some reason the rotor came in contact with the cap. Finally I sent it back to MSD and told them to fix their junk. They told me it would be $120 to get it fixed. I asked them what did I paid the first $460 for? They covered it under warranty and I didn't have to pay them. I took the cap off when it came back and they did locktite it from their refurbishing factory. The other one I bought directly from them also had locktite on it. Since I don't trust it I put red locktite on it and haven't had any issues since.

Last edited by fex77k; 01-19-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fex77k
MSD Failure
That's definitely a problem -- nobody should have to fix a high-dollar component out of the box. Shitty that you had to argue with them, but I'm glad they owned up in the end. One would hope they've adopted the idea of using loctite on their new units being sold.

Like spudnick3119, I've been running the MSD for almost exactly 5 years / 12K miles with no issues -- but I did tear it open and loctite the rotor straight out of the box, and RTV'd the entire housing upon reassembly. Perhaps my experience with the MSD is not relevant, as my car isn't a daily driver. Time will tell.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:17 AM
10 Second Club

i had about 15k trouble free miles on my early MSD unit before i gutted it for the cam sync.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by spudnick3119
5 years and 25k on my MSD with no issues... not saying its better than stock but I would bet and blame most failures on install error.

Most important thing to is loctite the rotor screws. When I did my cam swap two years ago, they were a little loose.
I am arguing the same fault on the stocker that cost 2/3rds as much.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely locktite the rotor screws. Mine has been great for 5k+ miles. I killed the almighty ac delco (ain't even delco anymore) in less than 3k miles. The warranty is decent on these too, especially if you go through summit. My friend's msd went bad and summit shipped him one free without him even removing the defect. Can't be that.

Opti's are fun for skeet shooting.

Ah skeet skeet skeet

Quick Reply: This MSD unit is pretty solid. Let's see how it holds up.