LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Are f-bodies really that bad in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Twice I drove mine from L.A. to Washington state in late December, in straight up blizzards. Without winter tires. One of them I had a clogged heater core so no defrost. Made it without a scratch both times. Yes I was doing 30 in a 65 most of the time, and I had some bad dreams about the trips later. Probably have some ptsd from those trips too but the point is if you drive smartly, it can be done.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldnt recommend snow driving, mine was stock and I pulled into a friends driveway that wasnt cleared and there was only a inch of snow, but driving over it packed it and made it ice, when I tried to leave my car wouldnt butch and I wasnt stuck on anything but a small patch of ice, took me 2 hours to break the ice up enouph and get moved 5 feet to get the car moving again
Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Drove my 94 TA for 3 winters back in the 90's,then picked up a 95 3.4L Firebird to do the dirty work.

4 Goodyear Icetracs get the job done,I buy 2 new ones every 2 years and rotate them.

4 Snows is the only way to go,I still have my 94 TA Swirls W/Snows on my 2001 Firebird DD which I have driven the last 5 years.

If the snow is really deep you may need to wait for a plow

I wouldn't even attempt it on all seasons or HP summer tires,I know I have tried it.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to drive both of my 3rd gens in the snow all the time. The '86 didn't really stop at all because of the disc to drum swap so I'd have to find **** to run into with that car, usually stop signs. The '88 was no problem however, even on summer only tires in a noreaster in upstate NY. Haven't had a chance to take the 4th gen out in the snow but, I don't see why it wouldn't be better than the '88 was, I have all season tires on this one and the windshield washer works.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

I drove an '85 Camaro while living in Denver, CO during a time where only sand was used on the roads. As long as I had good all season tires and the snow wasn't deep enough to high center the car it was all good.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Drove my SS through 2 winters. Getting it going was the bad part. It would get stuck in 2" of snow but once it got going it did fairly well. I drove 20 miles in 5-6" deep snow once. Also I put the car in 2nd gear and got out and pushed just to get going a few times.

The problem is that the tires are wide and flat and just sit on the snow and ice.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by ks my ss
Drove my SS through 2 winters. Getting it going was the bad part. It would get stuck in 2" of snow but once it got going it did fairly well. I drove 20 miles in 5-6" deep snow once. Also I put the car in 2nd gear and got out and pushed just to get going a few times.

The problem is that the tires are wide and flat and just sit on the snow and ice.
Reminds me of a road trip I took from DFW to Denver during the winter. Once I hit Dumas on 87 I was following roadside markers going through at least 5" of snow because there was no traffic and roads hadn't been plowed. Got into Raton and the grill was completely frozen over. Hit Raton pass, didn't see anyone behind me and found out they had just shut the pass down. If my tires had been crap I would've been screwed.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bizerk1

The old cars were tanks with rwd, in weight and had no power. thats why they could do it.

Might want to research what old cars actually weighed, Compare a say 64 Impala to a 94 Camaro you will be shocked at just how close they are. Something like a 17lbs difference from a 94 Z28 to a 64 inline 6 car, sure the V8 weighs more but it would be front end weight.

Far as the power argument, well there is a long skinny pedal on the floor that the driver is supposed to use to modulate that power.

My car is drivable in the snow with all season, maybe not my first choice as the larger TB, stall/4.10s and throttle response from the compression increase do make it more challenging than when it was stock, but is still drivable and I bet if I slapped a stock TB on it would be pretty tame.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

im waiting for snow to see how they handle myself. im sure its not too much worse than a slick oily road in the rain.

just gotta grandma that sh@t!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove my LT1 about 80 miles in the snow already, like several feet of it. People were wiping out in front of me in their AWD crossovers. It's not that bad, just be really cautious. My IROC is much better in the snow, even with shittier tires. I don't know why.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where I live, I get serious ammounts of snow. And I got stuck driving an lt1 fbody for about 2 months once. I had snow tires and well over 100lbs in the back. I kept it full of gas too. I remember getting stuck at the gas station pumps (there wasn't even any snow, just a thin layer of ice lol). I remember having to put the car in neutral coming up to stop lights in the deep snow becausw the back tires would keep spinning. Ive hare many many vehicles over the years and it was by far the worst winter vehicle ever. Hell if you saw any hill coming up the road...forget it loll. I had an 87 caprice with a posit rear and shifty tire that did wayyyyyy better in the snow.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Might want to research what old cars actually weighed, Compare a say 64 Impala to a 94 Camaro you will be shocked at just how close they are. Something like a 17lbs difference from a 94 Z28 to a 64 inline 6 car, sure the V8 weighs more but it would be front end weight.
Truth. The '56 I6 Ford I have, which size wise is a boat compared to my '96 weighs about 200lbs less.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when it was stock i did. allow time to stop and get speed for hills. #counter steer
Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Granted it was a V6, but when I was young I drove a 4th gen in the winter for 2 years with the stock shitty Goodyear tires and no weight in the rear. Like mentioned, try not to have to stop on a hill and allow room to stop, and as with any car in the snow/ice drive for the conditions and slow down. Really, with winter tires and weight in the rear it should be no big deal unless you live around a lot of steep hills. Now if the car is fairly modded then yeah it's probably going to be a bit more challenging, but at that point you should probably consider a winter beater anyway.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

My 84 Z28 & V6 5spd car werent bad stock But 3rd gens are Hvy My Ttop Z was 4190 stock or with my built 498hp 355 My hard top 95 trans am was 3400 stock but ive put it on a lil diet lol & gettin a lil more power than my old Z If you can drive then yeah but dont be stupid & drive 80 Id park it or buy a 4wd S10 or somethin for winter time When i was 20 somethin I didnt give a damn but now that im almost 40 I like keepin the cars awhile after all the blood sweat & tears of buildin one lol Road Salt is not good too em either
Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 PM

I had a 95 Formula, I was parked in the slitest incline at a car lot working. We had like a inch of snow on the ground. As soon as put the car in gear, the end started sliding.. all the way down. I put about 6 giant water jugs in the back hoping it would help.. nope. Got a ride home that day..
Just bough a 02 WS6 last weekend... ANy snow.. I stay home
Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Get a set of Blizzak's on some stock rims. I dont have traction control and had zero problems when I drove in Chicago winter for a year. The car is stored for winters now mainly because i dont want to deal with the damage that salt causes.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Launching!

anything is possible, with light snow, yea i took mine out and drove like a ****, it was good fun. however, to depend on it for daily drive purposes, its just gonna ruin your day when you hit an ice slick and wreck. buy a old chevy 1500 from 1990 for $1000 and dont drive the car. wrecking the truck is way less expensive than they car
Old 01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

I drove my '95 Camaro auto with the 3.4L V6 for 8 years through everything. It had all season tires and got a little "interesting" a couple of times, but I only ever lost control once (no damage other than a flat tire). I now have 2001 Camaro SS M6 so things are going to be a little different.

Beyond truely knowing how to handle such a car in the snow (sadly this is a small percentage of drivers of all vehicles), having the correct tires will make or break your experience. I haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing a set of Blizzaks for the SS just yet since we haven't had any real snow so far and only a couple of weeks left in the PA snow season. I am currently running all season tires, which is "okay" for the light stuff but still a bit hairy due to the 275 width. However, I do make sure I keep a couple of vacation days in my back pocket for the deep snow days.

The bottom line is to use your best judgement with any car. The 4th gens WILL go in the snow at the hands of an experienced driver. However, it is not something I recommend for the inexperienced or nervous driver. Use the right tires for the job and good judgement and you will be well on your way.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Launching!

I also lived in an apartment for a year that was basically a big bowl with 2 large hills going out and speed bumps on each. They used to get a kick out of watching me out the office window when I would leave during snows. At one point it took me 7 tries and by that time the whole office staff was outside cheering me on.

Quick Reply: Are f-bodies really that bad in the snow?