LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Are f-bodies really that bad in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it's get all season tires if you want to stand a chance, or get some winter tires on stock rims and don't look back.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Launching!

I don't drive either in the snow. That is what trucks and fwd beaters are for.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

some snow you can drive in, some you cant. Id say anything over 2-3 inches and your gonna be wishing you made other plans. Good tires help. I had blizzacks on my old ride, rwd lincoln LS v8, I put them on all 4 corners, and they were used, and were pretty much gone. It was still a chore to drive the car in snow but the blizzacks were night and day difference over almost new yokohama avid TRZ all season tires.

I would deffinetly throw snow tires on the back of one knowing what i know now and how well they help. I had kumho zri's one year on my old camaro and it went in 2-4 inches of snow but it just wasnt worth it. Like someone else said, if you time it wrong, or be to aggressive, youll be off the road or into another car in no time. And if you hit a light on a hill...be prepared to get honked at, stared at, yelled at, everything else that goes along with holding traffic up because you cant move.

These people saying they drive in the snow....let them do it...and sit back and watch.

My best advice is if he really wants the car, when theres snow he needs to have a back up plan. 200lbs in the trunk hardly helps. Blizzacks or studded snow tires in the back will help ALOT, but steer tires will still just slide.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by muddyjimmy
That is what trucks and fwd beaters are for.
I'm going out to buy a 94 accord with 110k in a couple hours for $350 from a friend who needs it gone. I'll be driving it home too. All for about the price of a couple nice snow tires =)

Deals are out there for cheap winter beaters....
Old 01-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Launching!

on second thought, if you have to ask that question, chances are,
NO YOU CAN NOT DRIVE IN THE SNOW!!!
its like my idiot brother saying "well my older brother is an electrician, so yea i can do it too!"
use common sense. another thing thats rare these days
Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That is a valid point about "if you have to ask" but I think you should edit it and put "YOU" on bold.

I have lived near Houghton Michigan where average snowfall is 180" and even lived up there for a near record year well over 300", done a lot of travelling up there in winter with my cars, only needed a tow once when a curve snuck up on me under whiteout conditions.
Point being I am much more comfortable in the snow than the average person, I even prefer RWD to FWD.

FWD in snow is like traction control and ABS, made to compensate for driver inadequacies.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Is it impossible???....nope...could you figure it out with enough practice, of course.
People do amazing things everyday..
Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON'T DO IT! LOL...I got stuck in a nasty snowstorm and could not make it up a steep hill to save my life with just 3" of snow. Ended up sliding off the road into a ditch and walking home in the snow. There's just too much torque and not enough weight on the rear end (6sp doesn't help either, even starting in 2nd gear) and too wide tires to do any good in the snow. Snow tires maybe, but nobody buys snow tires in the south for our one snow day a year...my girlfriends supercharged buick regal however; that thing is a tank in the snow! Buy a beater or just stay home and drink!
Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

After living in the NE for over 10 years I am quite positive anyone who lives south of the Mason Dixon line has absolutely no ******* business behind the wheel when there is anything remotely close to frozen precipitation on the ground.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
After living in the NE for over 10 years I am quite positive anyone who lives south of the Mason Dixon line has absolutely no ******* business behind the wheel when there is anything remotely close to frozen precipitation on the ground.

i want to kiss you right now! being from just south of the line, i can tell you these ******** cant drive. then adding snow makes it worse
Old 01-19-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stuart4185
i want to kiss you right now!

I'm sure you and SS RRR can find a better forum to have your fun time in, but please not here...
Old 01-19-2012, 01:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the club and when I came out there was 2in of snow on the ground. Made it almost all the way home until I couldn't make it up the hill. 430rwhp thru a manual and a puck clutch sucked. I saw a bunch of people go off the road and I was slipping and sliding the whole way home.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Blizzack tires are the key. I drove mine for 4 years in Chicago daily. Never had a problem with snow after getting the blizzack tires.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

put 100 pounds of sand in the truck and did it for 2 winters with no issues what so ever.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True story. Pulling into the garage about an hour ago I slid on some ice (my garage is on a downhill slope) I came about 6 inches away from smashing my mom's cavalier. The T/A was completely sideways and I was just rolling down the hill. MY FOOT WAS NOT EVEN ON THE GAS. By the grace of God I stopped before smashing her car. So yeah these cars suck in the snow.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6spd97ta
Blizzack tires are the key. I drove mine for 4 years in Chicago daily. Never had a problem with snow after getting the blizzack tires.
This guy knows whats up.

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
True story. Pulling into the garage about an hour ago I slid on some ice (my garage is on a downhill slope) I came about 6 inches away from smashing my mom's cavalier. The T/A was completely sideways and I was just rolling down the hill. MY FOOT WAS NOT EVEN ON THE GAS. By the grace of God I stopped before smashing her car. So yeah these cars suck in the snow.
The slow mo train wreck, been there a couple times in the camaro lol
Old 01-19-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

i daily drive my car... or used to last year i did it with bald back tires. you just have to learn the limits and get used to it. just take it easy and you'll be fine.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars are fine in the snow.... It's morons that think summer tires will be fine in the snow.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had a couple sets of high performance tires that were "summer only" and by the time the mercury hits 40degrees they are getting too hard for use on dry pavement.

If you use snow tires just seasonally(as they should be) they will dry out and harden up long before you wear them out so figure on replacing them every other year or so regardless of tread depth.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I didn't live in areas that received a lot of snow when I was driving either of my Camaros, but on the factory tires these were the worst cars I've ever driven in the snow. I had an 85 IROC and a 94 Z28. Both had a tendency to head towards the ditch when taking off from a stop. It seemed the rear end always wanted to spin and slide out with the slope of the pavement. Having said that, I've haven't driven many rear wheel drive cars in the snow.

I honestly couldn't imagine having one of these as a daily driver if you live in an area that receives a lot of snow.

Quick Reply: Are f-bodies really that bad in the snow?